Stand for parking a Silvio

Drew

I was sketching some plans to build a rack to park my Silvio. No point reinventing the wheel so I wanted to ask if anyone has successfully fabricated one out of PVC pipe?

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
I have a very aero stand I designed for the Sigma which might get produced.
55_ae36d28545711ce2828554340a7e90dc

I haven't studied it, but there's a possibility it could adapt to the Silvio as well.

What I found at the local bike shop was this stand, which does work pretty well. Has PRO marked on it, with an arrow drawn into the 'O'. Try shops catering to the road bike crowd.
55_29ca0cfc04a1097603f17ad18c226b76

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I have struggled with this problem...built some stuff, never worked quite right.
I found the one you are talking about John,

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=17158&src=froogleUS&currency=USD

I do like the looks of the one Jack likes as well.

PaulW

Re: Stand for parking a Silvio - a better way

There's a lighter and simpler way to support bicycles. Get about 16 inches of 1/4 inch black bungee cord and attach plastic bayonet clips to the ends. They're the clips used on bum bags and panniers. They can be attached with zip ties or for a more professional look, a swaged crimped sleeve. It's a neater job if you put heat shrink on the ends of the bungee first. Pass the bungee through the slot in the clip twice, then use two zip ties to fasten the cut end to the main bungee.

Somewhere at the mid point of the bike, zip tie the bungee to any convenient part of the frame/seat/rack. On DFs you only need one around the seat post. On 'bents you usually need two, one each side.

When you want to 'stand' the bike up, find a post or fence rail and clip the bungee around it. THERE IS ALWAYS A POST! Even in the country there are signs and fences and even trees.

Sometimes you can find pre made stretchy loops with a ball on them and these work just as well.

For a laugh I took out a local patent and called it the Bike Butler. It's too easily copied to be a commercial success and the cost of an International Patent is way out of my league.

All my local DF friends use these because they protect the bike from being blown over. Stands are not secure - the Bike Butler is. On a DF the saddle is placed against the post and the bungee loop wrapped up over the saddle. No part of the bike frame touches anything.

Yes ...I'm brilliant :) but I'm still broke!

3WHELZ

Guru
I have attempted to locate Shimano PRO Bike Display Stand in the US without success. However, I did come across the Feedback Sports RAKK. I have found it to be an excellent substitute. I have attached a few pics.
352_757ee890b75a9d66933300e738b8012a