stiffening the rear shock, Quest V3

lalbander

I tried to stiffen up the existing spring shock but only seemed to succeed in winding it up and down.
Turning it doesn't seem to make much difference to its springyness. How do I stiffen it up?
Thanks
Geoff

cllsjd

Best I can see is that the rear "shock" is just a spring with no damper. Turning the bottom washer simply adds or removes preload to the spring. The spring rate (force/distance) is probably more or less a constant for the "shock". I've no ideas what the real spring rate, but assume the spring rate is 100 lbs / in. Now if you go from the washer just being lose to compressing the spring 1/4", you've added 25 lbs of preload to the spring. Any force you now apply to the spring that is less than 25 lbs is not going to cause any additional displacement of the "shock". I backed mine all the way off and then added preload until I was happy with the way it rode.

chuck

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Grab the nut at the bottom of

Grab the nut at the bottom of the 1000 lbs/inch spring unit and rotate it clockwise until there is a 15% to 20% deflection when sitting on the bike.

Measure from the top of the rear wheel to the underside of the rear rack, for unloaded and loaded height.
I THINK the full travel of the rear wheel is 80 mm.