Stock V20 bar available in different widths?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Dave, My sight line is above the straight section of the handle bar and I can see above and look slightly down on the top of the slider and boom. So OK there. You don't see the road real close to the front wheel but near enough at the speeds the V20 is designed to maintain IMHO.

I plan to evaluate the V20 with the new Midge bar and adjustments for a couple of months. If I still want my hands lower, I may spring for the curved slider later. I actually have the bar quite high on the Silvio 1.5 as I must have it there to clear the tops of my legs. Otherwise I would have lowered the handlebar on the Silvio. I still have more than enough top leg clearance on the V20, though lowering the bar by 40mm might get it very near the tops of my legs. I would need to verify if I have at least 40mm clearance before buying the curved slider.

Do you use a water bottle mounted using the cage bolts in the curved slider on your V20? If so, it is hard to get the bottle in and out of the cage? Thanks.

Have you cut down your fork yet so only the 1 thing spacer is used? I find for a guys build that's the best first step; then if you need more the curved slider. Example my bike cut fork; straight boom. Wife's cut fork curved boom. I tried curved boom uncut fork and it wasn't as good as cut for straight boom for me. Granted I got to test using the wife's cut fork but you should be able to simulated the setup by offsetting the boom to the right of the fork and lower it.

Alan W Dolbeer

Hi Ratz,

The stem was fairly well "slammed" from the initial build in Portland (See first pic, pls excuse poor focus on the subject). The sight line is now close to that depicted in the second pic. The third pic is the handlebar installation viewed looking forward from just behind and well above the headrest.
V20_steerer bearing cap and small spacer.JPGV20_Sight_Line.JPGV20_Midge_bars view from aft high.JPG

ratz

Hi Ratz,

The stem was fairly well "slammed" from the initial build in Portland (See first pic, pls excuse poor focus on the subject). The sight line is now close to that depicted in the second pic. The third pic is the handlebar installation viewed looking forward from just behind and well above the headrest.
View attachment 2770View attachment 2771View attachment 2772

Yep curved slider would be the next thing to try. It won't improve the sight line on that short a stem

Dave Arnold

Dave....Do you use a water bottle mounted using the cage bolts in the curved slider on your V20? If so, it is hard to get the bottle in and out of the cage? Thanks.

Alan,

I do not use a bottle cage on the slider. The slider is too close to my chest making it difficult to get on and off the bike. I'm using bolts there to secure the cabling.

Alan W Dolbeer

Thanks Dave for your response.

I rode 55 miles today on the V20 with the latest adjustments and am encouraged that I can get the arm position I want with the straight slider. Another small adjustment this evening as the tops of my legs were just brushing the straight section of the Midge bars. Before this whole exercise started, there was so much clearance between my legs and the stock bar that I never thought I would run out of room there.

Alan W Dolbeer

Two more rides since Wednesday and I am now satisfied with the V20's leg reach and Midge bar position. Also I managed to take a sprint coming back into town during today's ride. Near the end of the sprint zone is an uphill approach onto a bridge (the start of the bridge being the finish line) and I took that sprint at 31mph against a DF rider who I consider to be a stronger rider than I am. The point being that the bike is now working very well for me. (-:

A comment on choice of handlebar tape. In the pics from 25 June above, the bar was wrapped with thick (3.2mm) Lizard Skins bar tape. Another rider had convinced me to try the Lizard Skins tape. I found the tape was too cushy when riding in the drops. IE I could feel the tape compressing when climbing or pedaling hard. Also, a personal thing, but I did not like the feel of the Lizard Skin tape riding in the hot and humid weather we have here in the southeastern USA. So I have moved back to thinner cork style tape that I accustomed to using.

ratz

Two more rides since Wednesday and I am now satisfied with the V20's leg reach and Midge bar position. Also I managed to take a sprint coming back into town during today's ride. Near the end of the sprint zone is an uphill approach onto a bridge (the start of the bridge being the finish line) and I took that sprint at 31mph against a DF rider who I consider to be a stronger rider than I am. The point being that the bike is now working very well for me. (-:

A comment on choice of handlebar tape. In the pics from 25 June above, the bar was wrapped with thick (3.2mm) Lizard Skins bar tape. Another rider had convinced me to try the Lizard Skins tape. I found the tape was too cushy when riding in the drops. IE I could feel the tape compressing when climbing or pedaling hard. Also, a personal thing, but I did not like the feel of the Lizard Skin tape riding in the hot and humid weather we have here in the southeastern USA. So I have moved back to thinner cork style tape that I accustomed to using.

Yeah the 3.2 is really too thick, meanwhile 2.3 with a tight over lap works better, and the 1.8 is almost cushion less, but the sticky feel is an acquired taste. Nice to see you have the frame dialed in

Last edited: