Strava

Thanks for the

Thanks for the testimonial/note of caution, Drew. I do vary my route according to wind direction, but I did that before Strava came along, so no worries there. I haven't ditched my riding buddies yet to hit a segment (although I will speed up when we get to one, and wait for them at the end of it, if I pulled away). I have also heard stories of cyclists running stop signs and otherwise riding dangerously to better their segment times. Bad idea!

So far I'm keeping things in perspective. I only have one or two KOMs. One of them is because hardly anyone else rides that route. The other is because I had a very strong tailwind. On most of the segments that I ride, there is no way I'll get KOM on them...so I won't be losing many of them either. There are a lot of riders out there on DFs that are MUCH faster than me on my Vendetta. I can live with that.

I still very much enjoy my rides. My only criteria for a ride being "good" or "bad" is if I got rained on or crashed. If neither of those happen, it was a fun ride. :)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I got into Strava determine

I got into Strava determine not to be that KOM chasing and that attitude has served me well.

Strava is a log book only for me, everyone cheats; So rankings mean nothing to me; you want to race meet me at the start line; I will beat you to spite you if we are equals. Otherwise the stronger rider always winds. Virtual ghosts are just that imaginary to me. If I am bored and someone does out rank me, I send them a ride with me in person invite. I have met some cool riders that way; and two woman that kick my ass on the big hills..... perhaps the view distracted me; yep that the story I am going wtih...

So I only compete against myself. I like the Social part I follow all the the recumbent riders I can. I am a hill guy; in riding season I watch the feed closely; if you do 1500ft climbing in a ride; I give you kudos for a great effort to encourage you to do it again. If you do 80+ miles likewise. I find that to be a healthy approach. They can flag me all they want, I do not care. I will just re-upload the ride and mark it private so it is in my logbook. Veloviewer year over year comparisons are really handy.

Take away the social aspect of cheering others on; and I would be at ride with gps; even though their atitude correction data is garbage.

Just alternative thoughts on how to make it healthy tool.

Drew

Strava responsibly

I share my experience tongue in cheek. It is a cool service but it just isn't for me .

Always Strava responsibly

mzweili

Guru
Only recently I started logging my rides on Strava.
Does anybody know why the average speed is lower in the preview panel than in the analysis panel?
Sometimes the difference is small and sometimes over 3 km/h.
The value in the analysis panel matches very closely with my Sigma bike computer.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Summary page doesn't include the privacy zone data because that's what other people see. Be sure to join the Cruzbike club on strava