Stripped Clamp Thread

hurri47

Silvio 1.0 pivot clamp threads are gone.

stripped_pivot_clamp.jpg

Things to try:

1. Longer bolt with nut and nylon washer (attempt to compensate for slope) - no modification to clamp (FAIL) Result: bent bolt (stainless!) and no clamping force anyway

1a. Longer bolt with nut and wedge washer (make/buy)

2. Counterbore (tool $$) sloped surface to nut OD for longer bolt and nut

3. Grind flat (Dremel) on sloped surface for longer bolt and nut, being careful to avoid stress concentrations

4. Replace the clamp. Robert, are there any available? (Not looking forward to the disassembly required)

5. Replace with a different clamp - maybe something like the QR one that came on the conversion kit - source? What would I even call it for search purposes?

6. Helicoil? Does anybody still use these?

-Dan

Attachments

• stripped_pivot_clamp.jpg
    stripped_pivot_clamp.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 11
    stripped_pivot_clamp.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 11
    stripped_pivot_clamp.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 9

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
As I remember, that's a 6mm bolt. You could tap it out to 1/4 inch (6.4mm) and used a high-strength 1/4 inch bolt...

Might avoid disassembling everything that way.

hurri47

As I remember, that's a 6mm bolt. You could tap it out to 1/4 inch (6.4mm) and used a high-strength 1/4 inch bolt...

Might avoid disassembling everything that way.

Love the idea of not disassembling, but I think the thread depth would be precarious, especially in aluminum. I would bow to anyone's experience though.

-Dan

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
On that older Silvio you should just be able to use a standard clamp. I have an Origin 8 one on my own personal early model Silvio.

hurri47

On that older Silvio you should just be able to use a standard clamp. I have an Origin 8 one on my own personal early model Silvio.

The 34.9 mm version of this, I assume? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MKJTA8/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

It's inexpensive enough I can afford to be wrong, and I could even try a QR version. The magic words I was looking for were "seat post clamp." I should have known Tolhurst would select an off-the-shelf part. Thanks as always, Robert.

-Dan

hurri47

I live walking distance from a Performance Bikes store, so I picked up a Forte clamp for $5 instead of waiting for Amazon to send me the Origin8. It's a perfect fit. Thanks everybody for all the help and insight.

-Dan