Sunglasses for old people

BentAero

Let's face it, the typical recumbent owner isn't a youngster. I'd even go so far as to say most of us are on our second, or even (gulp) third pair of bi-focals.

As we age, that 'near' vision problem becomes annoying on a sunny day while riding. Do I wear my regular multi-focal glasses, or my sunglasses and not be able to read the numbers on the bike computer?

I've had prescription sunglasses for many years, but they were typical 'single' lens. Needing some new ones, I started shopping around to see what was available. After being sticker-shocked at a few optical places, I stumbled onto the local Sam's Club optical. They have a surprisingly nice assortment of frames at a fraction of the cost of what I found elsewhere. Best yet, you don't have to be a 'member' to use their optical service.

I didn't figure I needed a progressive multifocal lens in my sunglasses, so I ordered old-fashioned 'lined' bi-focals, and had them lower the "add" area way down low for use on a laid-back recumbent.

Verdict: Home run. The bi-focal line is just above the handlebars while riding the Vendetta. Perfect vision down the road, and on Mr. Garmin. Now, when I hit something, it'll be pure operator error rather than blindness. All for a whopping $135.

20150418_194414_zpsaikyc4es.jpg

Sportin' my new frames. Savvy readers will recognize 'bent superstar-in-the-making LarryOz on the left.

20150418_144645_zpsqkedcuhh.jpg

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Good solution Gary, I'm going to go check that out for a glasses based solution.....

Our Optometrist is a biker; he let me try a ton of different mutifocal contacts using samples. We finally found both extend where and disposables that work great. The extend where I can use during "life" and for rides under 1 hour. After that they tend to get dirty, sometime too much to clean. So if it's going to be a long ride; I put in the disposable; and take a pair with me just incase. The lesson I learn there was try them all because they are all slightly different and breath different.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Our Optometrist is a biker; he let me try a ton of different mutifocal contacts using samples. We finally found both extend where and disposables that work great. The extend where I can use during "life" and for rides under 1 hour. After that they tend to get dirty, sometime too much to clean. So if it's going to be a long ride; I put in the disposable; and take a pair with me just incase. The lesson I learn there was try them all because they are all slightly different and breath different.

I too wear the disposables (for 2 decades now). I tried the multifocals without success, so I purchased a pair of cheap/collapsible reading glasses I keep in my bike bag to see the small things.

Cruzbike Chris

Well I like my solution better. New Lenses. Not by choice but my heredity, cataracts gave me new lenses and now for distance and for close up I wear one extended wear contact lens for mono focal. Mr. Garmin is readable and so are potholes as well. I do wear sunglasses on every ride either yellow tinted or shaded with rubber seals, same ones I wear on motorcycle rides. Works great for me at least for now.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I too wear the disposables (for 2 decades now). I tried the multifocals without success, so I purchased a pair of cheap/collapsible reading glasses I keep in my bike bag to see the small things.
Finding MF's that worked took about a month. Anonying but well worth it.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Finding MF's that worked took about a month. Anonying but well worth it.
I'm due for a check up pretty soon and will talk to my Doc and revisit the discussion. She's great and will let me try anything new. Funny thing my eye sight has been making slight improvements over the last few years.

BTW, I'm am able see Mr. Garmin without the reading glasses...don't want to break any speeding limits :D:D:D!

ina1979

glasses on fashion right! I am very hindered when driving by sunlight! and I am happy to wear sunglasses but in addition they are for poor vision I have

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I'm due for a check up pretty soon and will talk to my Doc and revisit the discussion. She's great and will let me try anything new. Funny thing my eye sight has been making slight improvements over the last few years.

BTW, I'm am able see Mr. Garmin without the reading glasses...don't want to break any speeding limits :D:D:D!
My Optician says that when I reach 110 years age, my vision will have gone from -6.0 to 0!!!!!

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Yes, but focus will only be infinite. You won’t be able to adjust to anything closer than 20 feet. Think about the reaction time you will have then. Aw, what the hang, at 110 years old you don’t need to read the speedometer gauge. Just let me know so my 95 year old body can hobble out of the way. :eek:

3bs

whereabouts unknown
i have trifocals, and i only do lined. progressives make me seasick. but the middles are really only for gun sights so they are a pretty specific focal length. i might do a set of bifocals for riding.

since we are talking about glasses and riding. i just picked up a smith podium tt helmet at a great price with lenses. my glasses fit under the lenses just fine. helmet is really nice, but if the wind noise thru the vents is too much you can tape them over.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I wear my regular progressive lenses with Giro Vanquish shield for the sun/ eye protection.

Costco's sunglasses selection is limited and doesn't include the fancy curved sports frame or lenses.

ccf

Guru
I’ve been using multi-focal contact lenses. I can see my bike computer and road signs without having to lower my chin, which I have to do with transition lenses. And with the contacts I get to sport a pair of Oakleys.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I’ve been using multi-focal contact lenses. I can see my bike computer and road signs without having to lower my chin, which I have to do with transition lenses. And with the contacts I get to sport a pair of Oakleys.
How do they stay aligned vertically with contacts? do they have a weight?

ccf

Guru
How do they stay aligned vertically with contacts? do they have a weight?

The contacts have concentric rings. One set of rings is for distance focus, and the other set is for near focus. Your retina and brain somehow figure out how to make sense of it. There is a small loss of clarity, but not enough to be a problem.

In the past I have just relied on single vision when riding and letting the mirrors and bike computer be blurry but found I cant read the Lezyne GPS without a reading script. I have ordered glasses online quite a few times but wanted the segment height of the progressives 5mm lower so I could read the bike computer and mirrors and have more of the glasses devoted to distance while reclined on the Vendetta. I also needed a pair that would fit under the shield on my helmet. 2 online places would NOT alter their standard segment heights for me. Then I ran across Payne Glasses https://www.payneglasses.com/ and they gave me exactly what I wanted and were perfect and lower priced than anyone. The frames are not the best quality but who cares. They nailed the script. I loved them so much that I ordered 2 more pair. One with transitions for working in the yard and another with dark tint for my DF bike.

Check them out.