Suspension neckrest and tailbox

Jesse Groves

The stock neckrest was killing me, so I ordered the suspension neckrest. I was disappointed that it would not work with the tailbox (which I already have), but figured it would be better to ride without the tailbox then not at all.

Anyway, I got the new neckrest tonight and installed it with the tailbox still on. I installed it upside down on the upper bend of the bars. It seemed secure and worked ok for the short ride I did around the neighborhood. I am wondering if there is something I am missing? Why does the CB website say it is not compatible with the tailbox?

With it installed in that fashion, you do have to pull the entire assembly a little further out of the frame, but that shouldn't create problems...or am I wrong about that? Either way, I suspect that a Thor seat is in my future.

Thanks,

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Sorry, I've been out of pocket lately.

Yes, I had mine mounted 'upside down' for exactly one ride. It was comfy until I hit a large bump. When I bounced, the neckrest mount dug into the nape of my neck, which hurt!

Now I have the neckrest installed to the bottom mount of the tailbox...much mo' bettah.

Jesse Groves

Sorry, I've been out of pocket lately.

Yes, I had mine mounted 'upside down' for exactly one ride. It was comfy until I hit a large bump. When I bounced, the neckrest mount dug into the nape of my neck, which hurt!

Now I have the neckrest installed to the bottom mount of the tailbox...much mo' bettah.

I may try that once my Thor seat comes in...still waiting for it to ship. Right now, I have the neckrest attached over the top portion of the bars that go into the frame with those bars pulled out of the frame to the point that only one Perez Clamp holds them. I am also riding on top of four seat pads (yes...FOUR pads) to get my shoulders into the right position so that no part of my neck touches the metal of the neckrest and I can comfortably recline my neck without torquing my spine.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I may try that once my Thor seat comes in...still waiting for it to ship. Right now, I have the neckrest attached over the top portion of the bars that go into the frame with those bars pulled out of the frame to the point that only one Perez Clamp holds them. I am also riding on top of four seat pads (yes...FOUR pads) to get my shoulders into the right position so that no part of my neck touches the metal of the neckrest and I can comfortably recline my neck without torquing my spine.
Jesse can you get a side view photo of you, your kneck and the 4 pads, as a WISE old Cruzbike rider, not me, always says "that a picture is worth a thousand words", OR "If there is no photo, it did NOT happen!!"

Jesse Groves

Jesse can you get a side view photo of you, your kneck and the 4 pads, as a WISE old Cruzbike rider, not me, always says "that a picture is worth a thousand words", OR "If there is no photo, it did NOT happen!!"

The first one shows the pads; I have the ventisit pad on the shell of the seat, then I have two pads on top of that in the shoulder region, and then one pad covering over all the rest; I was trying to get the upper curve in the shoulder area like Winded Lowrider did with the pink foam. The second picture is my position on the bike...doesnt look that aero now that I see it...

View media item 328View media item 329

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
For aero you want your head close to to the height your knees at their peak and you want you lowest part of your heal about Butt height. You can tweak this with different length chain stays. If it’s bad and not aero.

Your can check this with nose on pictures and drawing Squares on the pictures. Have the spouse shout a cuolle with 1 foot on the ground and the knee at the top and then the heel as low as it goes.

But it is good to check. On the medium thor I just fit but loose a bunch of aero and would need a longer chain stay. With the large which is a hair too big I am as aero as the stock seat because the angle it mounts at. so some experimenting is in order.