T-bone

Last Friday a motorist drove his sedan across the highway I was riding on. He didn't just cross normally; he squealed from the stop sign as if he was trying to put his metal box in my path. I slammed into the side of his car then tumbled down the highway.

I've been through many falls and crashes on both uprights and my Quest. I am very thankful for the relatively low and feet-first posture of the Quest. My upright accidents have resulted in long term shoulder and wrist injuries. These are injuries far worse than what I've sustained on the Quest. This latest crash has the most injuries though. This is understandable given the nature of slamming into a metal door at ~20 mph.

image.jpg

Lief

Guru Schmuru
HOLY CRAP Elliott!
A) glad you are ok.
B) Hoping your injuries aren't bad.
C) AMAZED at the damage to your ride.
D) Did the driver stick around and charged with anything? Paying for everything?

The fact that you are here sharing with us tells me A and B are pretty much acceptable given the circumstances - I gotta ask.
How was your exit out of the cockpit of the Quest?

I've long thought about how awesome it is going feet-first if it has to happen.
But I've also long thought about that stem there, right between my legs.

I know every situation is different but anything we can all learn from?
DAMN! Glad you are ok.

This poor guy's making the rounds on bentrider - face first is no way to go.
Sorry about your bike, but glad you're ok.

The driver stuck around. The police said the case number won't open for a few weeks. I haven't been able to get a hold of the claims adjuster for insurance yet so I don't know if his insurance will pay or not. I sure hope it does.

The exit out of the cockpit was surprising. I also thought that come the day when I hit something head-on my groin would go straight into the steer tube but this didn't seem to happen! No groin injuries. My feet struck his car and went with it from left to right sending my body out of the cockpit and rotating sideways in the air. I came down facing backwards striking tailbone first and initiating backwards somersault down the highway.

Motorists frequently poke out of side streets before registering that I'm heading their way. Their reaction is always to hit the brakes. That made this case unavoidable because unlike the usual motorist he neither hit the brakes or held a reasonable acceleration. He squealed out in front of me. I was going 28 miles an hour and hit the brakes in the last few feet before striking his side.

There is not much to learn from the cycling point of you. Dont be that motorist. Don't drive a car, use a bus, or any other excessively oversized metal monstrosities to move you from point A to B. You're endangering everyone else out there. Walk; If it's too far then jog; If it's still too far then ride your bike.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Elliott. Glad to see that you are OK. Keep us posted on the insurance issues - and given the miles you have on that bike and the nature of the crash - even just looking at that one picture - I would consider that bike a loss. Too much could have been damaged there beyond the obvious.

Heal well!

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
The driver stuck around. The police said the case number won't open for a few weeks. I haven't been able to get a hold of the claims adjuster for insurance yet so I don't know if his insurance will pay or not. I sure hope it does.

The exit out of the cockpit was surprising. I also thought that come the day when I hit something head-on my groin would go straight into the steer tube but this didn't seem to happen! No groin injuries. My feet struck his car and went with it from left to right sending my body out of the cockpit and rotating sideways in the air. I came down facing backwards striking tailbone first and initiating backwards somersault down the highway.

Motorists frequently poke out of side streets before registering that I'm heading their way. Their reaction is always to hit the brakes. That made this case unavoidable because unlike the usual motorist he neither hit the brakes or held a reasonable acceleration. He squealed out in front of me. I was going 28 miles an hour and hit the brakes in the last few feet before striking his side.

There is not much to learn from the cycling point of you. Dont be that motorist. Don't drive a car, use a bus, or any other excessively oversized metal monstrosities to move you from point A to B. You're endangering everyone else out there. Walk; If it's too far then jog; If it's still too far then ride your bike.
On the bright side, it looks like you might be getting a beautiful new BMW Z4M Coupe: http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/front-disc-wheel.7896/page-2#post-28730

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I'm glad you're okay. I was t-boned once. The driver and her passenger were busy blabbing at a stop sign and they put the pedal to the metal so they could jump out into traffic like a 737 leaving the runway. At the same time, I was passing directly in front of their car. I was thrown into the windshield, which absorbed all of the shock - and it was quite comfortable as far as getting hit by a car goes. After smashing out their windshield with my body, I stood up and danced on their hood with by metal cleats. Oops, sorry about the paint job!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
it looks like you might be getting a beautiful new BMW Z4M Coupe
Joe, man you must ready "everything"!
If you go back to that thread you will see there was no "new" after the "beautiful", but it was nice never-the-less. It was about 7 years old (about a $20K car. There where 60K new). That is how I managed to afford my Vendetta's, after I sold it.

Elliot, I hope that you are alright. Make sure you get yourself checked out really well too. Unless the driver was un-insured, and of course found at fault (which should be a slam dunk), you should be receiving at least a new Quest from the accident. If they award you any incidental pain and suffering, you might be able to upgrade to a Silvio or even a Vendetta. It may take awhile though depending on what you have to go through. It took me over a year to settle, but my hand was split down the middle and my elbow was also messed up, so I had a lot of PT to go through. Regardless - good luck and stay safe.

jond

Zen MBB Master
that is terrible news elliot. so sorry it happened. best wishes for a speedy recovery physically and mentally. hope you get back on the bike asap.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Never like to hear about these events but much prefer the ones where the riding is still upright.
Heal up, best luck with the insurance, stand your ground. Shout if you need stuff.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Sorry for your loss, Elliot.

But hey, look at all the energy that your twisted-up chain ring soaked up for you!
What a good bike.

Don't discard your Quest; don't take it apart and for sure don't clean it up.

Wait until the cops, the insurance companies and, in general, all the furor
surrounding the actions of the negligent driver is settled, before you play with your Quest.

Aluminum bikes are parts-bikes, when they're tweaked out-of-true.

Your Quest saved you a lot of grief:
she was a good bike.

-Steve

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll keep this updated with how the insurance stuff goes.

Can't wait to be riding again.

Elliot

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
If you go back to that thread you will see there was no "new" after the "beautiful", but it was nice never-the-less. It was about 7 years old (about a $20K car. There where 60K new). That is how I managed to afford my Vendetta's, after I sold it.
Honestly Larry, I would love to have a BMW like that. But I'm not willing to pay the price (again). ;) Getting hit once is enough in one cycling career. :confused: Anyway, that's a beautiful automobile.

My advice is to keep at it. I had a similar accident with my old DF I had to send 3 letters to the insurance company the final being a formal certified letter stating I was about to take legal action before they finally paid up. That enabled me to by my Vendetta :)

Martinius Berg

Wish you all the best Elliot . Your good health is the most important here. Hope the injury was ǹt to bad so you can get back in the seat of your recumbent again :)

Tell us how things turned out Martinius.