T50 seat advice needed

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
The chainstay extensions where designed for the older Silvios, which use a different chainstay attachment (the cha1nstays are flat and don't rotate around the bottom bracket - they bend as part of the suspension - the CarboYoke system.) It would be hard to create a reliable bolt-on for the T50 since it uses a real hinge that rotates.

Frank Costantini

The chainstay extensions where designed for the older Silvios, which use a different chainstay attachment (the cha1nstays are flat and don't rotate around the bottom bracket - they bend as part of the suspension - the CarboYoke system.) It would be hard to create a reliable bolt-on for the T50 since it uses a real hinge that rotates.
Thanks for the clarification.

Frank Costantini

Adding to the seat thread (should I be starting a new thread for this?), I'm going to describe the modifications I made to improve seat comfort on the T50.

Initially I found the seat bottom fairly uncomfortable after riding more than about 30 min (using the stock T50 seat cushion, and the seat angle as shipped). Also, after riding on a bike path with lots of bumps, I was really feeling beat up, and missed having a suspension (my other bike is a fully-suspended HPV StreetMachine).

First, I drilled new holes and moved the seat back bracket up, as described above in this thread, to reduce the seat back angle. This helped a bit with the butt discomfort, but not with the lack of suspension - and I actually prefer a slightly higher seat angle on this bike).

Next, I added a 1/2 inch layer of minicell foam under the seat cushion, with Velcro tape strips to mate it to the seat bottom and seat cushion. The photos also show a lumber cushion cut out of minicell foam, to add lumbar support.
seat minicell foam small.JPG
seat top view small.JPG

This provided some extra cushioning, but I wanted more cushioning , and also wanted the seat tilted back further, as I was tending to slide forward. When I lowered the seat bottom to provide tilt, I was sitting so low that my legs hit the fork when I pedaled.

So I raised the seat a bit by removing the mounting brackets from the seat bottom, installing longer bolts, and adding some rubber washers and a 1/4" layer of neoprene (wetsuit material) between the seat bottom and the mounting brackets. I put four 1/8" rubber washers on the back bracket and six of them on the front bracket (plus the neoprene layer) to tilt the seat bottom a bit more.

seat bottom 1a.jpg seat bottom 2a.JPG
The wetsuit material isn't ideal - it is a bit too compressible - and I intend to replace it with something a bit stiffer. But for now the seat seems pretty comfortable.

1happyreader

zen/child method
after riding on a bike path with lots of bumps, I was really feeling beat up, and missed having a suspension (my other bike is a fully-suspended HPV StreetMachine).

The wetsuit material isn't ideal - it is a bit too compressible - and I intend to replace it with something a bit stiffer. But for now the seat seems pretty comfortable.
@Rick Youngblood has used rubber blocks like these on E-bay to great effect. they are cutable and drillable.

Brad R

Adding to the seat thread (should I be starting a new thread for this?), I'm going to describe the modifications I made to improve seat comfort on the T50.

Initially I found the seat bottom fairly uncomfortable after riding more than about 30 min (using the stock T50 seat cushion, and the seat angle as shipped). Also, after riding on a bike path with lots of bumps, I was really feeling beat up, and missed having a suspension (my other bike is a fully-suspended HPV StreetMachine).

First, I drilled new holes and moved the seat back bracket up, as described above in this thread, to reduce the seat back angle. This helped a bit with the butt discomfort, but not with the lack of suspension - and I actually prefer a slightly higher seat angle on this bike).

Next, I added a 1/2 inch layer of minicell foam under the seat cushion, with Velcro tape strips to mate it to the seat bottom and seat cushion. The photos also show a lumber cushion cut out of minicell foam, to add lumbar support.
View attachment 5427
View attachment 5428

This provided some extra cushioning, but I wanted more cushioning , and also wanted the seat tilted back further, as I was tending to slide forward. When I lowered the seat bottom to provide tilt, I was sitting so low that my legs hit the fork when I pedaled.

So I raised the seat a bit by removing the mounting brackets from the seat bottom, installing longer bolts, and adding some rubber washers and a 1/4" layer of neoprene (wetsuit material) between the seat bottom and the mounting brackets. I put four 1/8" rubber washers on the back bracket and six of them on the front bracket (plus the neoprene layer) to tilt the seat bottom a bit more.

View attachment 5429 View attachment 5430

Thanks for posting in this thread.

I like your ideas. Where can I buy the mini cell foam that you mentioned?

PeteClark

This could be as simple as flipping the stem around to point toward you, and then potentially lowering the bars (which I did on my Sofrider way back when). Give it a try.
I have a Kickstarter Complete, so the standard T50 accessories. I'm 6'4" and am able to extend the boom to fit, but it does make the bottom bracket pretty low. I moved the top seat bracket up to lean the seat back a bit, and reversed the stem. Now the bars are back far enough so they don't interfere with my thighs, whereas before the bars had to be above my knees.IMG_0882.JPG

Vicki C.

T50 Trailblazer and Silvio newbie
I have a Kickstarter Complete, so the standard T50 accessories. I'm 6'4" and am able to extend the boom to fit, but it does make the bottom bracket pretty low. I moved the top seat bracket up to lean the seat back a bit, and reversed the stem. Now the bars are back far enough so they don't interfere with my thighs, whereas before the bars had to be above my knees.View attachment 5637

I thought about reversing the handlebars to bring them closer and put my knees behind them as they are on some other models. I don't need to, but wondered how that would look and feel.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I have a Kickstarter Complete, so the standard T50 accessories. I'm 6'4" and am able to extend the boom to fit, but it does make the bottom bracket pretty low. I moved the top seat bracket up to lean the seat back a bit, and reversed the stem. Now the bars are back far enough so they don't interfere with my thighs, whereas before the bars had to be above my knees.View attachment 5637
Can you move the seat base back any further and shorten the seat stays, as looking at the photo, you thighs must be pressing into the seat front on every pedal stroke!
Wouldn't it be great if the QX100 and T50 had options for longer chainstays, like the S40 and V20!

DavidJL

I have been experimenting with camping mat foam found at Wal-Mart. It's about 1/2 inch thick and is closed cell and is blue in color. While not ventilated, it does seem fairly comfortable. Maybe something more ventilated could be attached.

Vicki C.

T50 Trailblazer and Silvio newbie
https://www.empind.com.au/shop/item/recumbent-bicycle-seat-pad-mesh---acs10
$100 for this that can do 3 layers for two seat bases and 4 layers for two seat backs, which gives excellent ventilation AND slight compression when sitting on it, and GREAT vibration isolation, AND it does not compress flat after 6 months of use, like an exercise mat I tried first!

That is neat that you can buy the material. It obviously has uses for more than just Cruzbike seat pads, although it works great for that.

Mrnelson

@Vicki C.

Here are a couple pictures showing effect of raising the mounting point on the seat back.

View attachment 5293 View attachment 5294 View attachment 5295

I don't have a drill press. I used the bracket as a guide. I drilled a new set of holes that make a square with the original 2. I marked a line parallel to the original by leaving one screw in original hole and rotating the bracket (placed on front of seat for convenience) 90 degrees and using the other hole to locate the mark. Then repeated for the other side. Then I drew a line between the marks and extended beyond.

Then I used a clamp to hold the bracket on the line and let the holes in the bracket act as guides for the drill bit. This put the holes the right distance apart.

It was not too hard. Even if alignment of holes is not perfect, there is enough play in the seat stays to make up for it.

I put the rear mount of the seat pan one hole above the lowest possible position.

The extra recline afforded by this mod helped quite a bit. For me, it did not require a head rest. I did not have to cut the seat stays.
I recommend this mod: I did it too, worked great. Not that hard and, at least for me, solves the "recumbent butt" problem.

Not totally, but I've had it to some degree on every recumbent I've ever ridden. But I don't think I've even reclined more than, say, 35 degrees. At the V20 angle maybe it goes away, I don't know. I'm too scared/poor to find out.

bhave

I'm six foot three and 220 pounds. I ride my T-50 for commuting, grocery runs, and loaded tours. I previously had a V2/k conversion that I used for similar purposes with close to 9000 miles on it. For my riding style, I find that I've had to recline the seat by drilling mounting holes higher up on the seat back, shorten the seat posts, add a gel pad to the seat pad, and remove the quick release that secures the rear of the base to the frame so that the base of the seat is flush with the frame and is angled slightly upwards. My focus has been comfort. Once I'm comfortable, the speed is inherent. My previous V2/K was much heavier, and even while loaded down, I gave those Cervelo and Le Monde roadies a heart attack as they tried to keep pace with me. They were convinced I had an e bike.

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_061607251.jpg
    IMG_20200626_061607251.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20200626_061613624.jpg
    IMG_20200626_061613624.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20200626_061619020.jpg
    IMG_20200626_061619020.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20200626_061622849.jpg
    IMG_20200626_061622849.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 40

Frank Costantini

Thanks for suggestions. I'll try to get a picture up later today.

AFAIK, There are no alternate seat stays for T50.

I already have the seat as far back as it will go with the stock hardware.

The only easy thing I can do is cut the seat stays to get more recline. But I don't want to make that my first step unless there is a good chance it will work.
I moved the seat stay attachment point higher up, by drilling new holes in the seat back. This resulted in more recline without cutting the seat stays.

rx7mark

Guru

Another option is to install a Thor GS Easy seat, modify the existing seat bracket to move the seat back, and end up with something like this picture attached. For reference I'm 6' 2", and have a 45inch X-seam. The Thor seat puts the stock one to shame and is only $200 shipped for the fiberglass version. Look at my BB location.

Mark

20190421_192312.jpg