T50 wheel adjustment issue

Frank Costantini

I received my T50 complete yesterday and have ridden it three times for about 30 minutes each (my first time on a Cruzbike). On the third ride, I started hearing a rhythmic squealing when coasting at about 7-8 mph, but not at lower speeds, and not while pedaling). I noticed that when I lift the bike and give the front wheel a spin, it doesn't rotate freely, it stops after less than one rotation, while the rear wheel spins freely (it's hard for me to locate the squealing, because I have a hearing in only one ear). It seems to me likely to be the disk brake - anything else to check out? I'm not much of a bike mechanic, but is there anything simple I should try before taking it to a bike shop? I'd hate to have to pay to get a new bike fixed.

Vicki C.

T50 Trailblazer and Silvio newbie
I received my T50 complete yesterday and have ridden it three times for about 30 minutes each (my first time on a Cruzbike). On the third ride, I started hearing a rhythmic squealing when coasting at about 7-8 mph, but not at lower speeds, and not while pedaling). I noticed that when I lift the bike and give the front wheel a spin, it doesn't rotate freely, it stops after less than one rotation, while the rear wheel spins freely (it's hard for me to locate the squealing, because I have a hearing in only one ear). It seems to me likely to be the disk brake - anything else to check out? I'm not much of a bike mechanic, but is there anything simple I should try before taking it to a bike shop? I'd hate to have to pay to get a new bike fixed.

If it is not rotating freely it sounds as if the brake needs adjusting, which can be done but I had a mechanic do it. I also, though, had an issue with a little boo-boo on the rotor and had to replace it as it rubbed and the brake pressure was uneven when riding, but the wheel spun freely.

Bill K

Guru
A simple thing to try is to make sure the wheel is fully seated in the fork. If you tighten the quick release while the wheel is slightly off-center it will cause the disk brake to rub.
So, loosen the quick release while the bike is on the ground (not in a bike stand and not leaning against a wall). Make sure the wheel is centered at the fork crown and tighten the quick release. Now spin the wheel and see if it spins freely.
Sometimes it takes me a couple of tries to get it right.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The other thing that happens is that the brake winds up out of place.

1) Mount wheel good and straight.
2) Loosen the two bolts that attach the Brake to the mounting arm (not the frame bolts)
3) Squeeze the brake handle and hold
4) Tight the bolts that attach the brake to the mounting arm
5) Adjust the pad off set dial if needed

Enjoy squeak free riding