Taking her by the horns; an S2 fitting to tall body

WhiteSilvio

Revisiting Handlebars - Alternative Mounting

Hi TallyHo,

Here is a link to a discussion that took place back in 2012 on Handlebars.

http://cruzbike.com/handlebars

Looking and reading about what I assume you are trying to achieve, I offer an alternative to mounting the handlebars.

It may not fulfill your needs but it may trigger other alternative ideas for you.

If you scroll down to the #3 post you will see a picture of the original setup I used on my Silvio 1.0.

The setup I currently use is basically the same except that I now have a 100mm Chainstay extension and I have dispensed with the original handlebar mount on the end of the telescopic extension. (I bought a spare tube in case I want to go back or sell the bike on in the future and cut the end off and tidied up the end of the tube)

At the moment I would like to have the bar a little further towards me for just a tad more knee clearance; every now and again I just manage to brush the top of my thigh against the bar. Additionally I would like my arms a little straighter.
To achieve this I would need to find some road bars with a much longer reach than the ones that I currently have.

This setup allows you to find a STEM that can be angled back or forwards and have different lengths (normally reach on a DF bike).

So I just thought I'd draw your attention to this thread. In the past there has been discussion on various aspects of handlebars and fitting bodies to these MBB devices.

Ta for now,
John.

P.S. This is a picture closer to the current bike setup.

mzweili

Guru
riding with chainstay extension

Maybe this should rather be posted under ''riding techniques''.
But it is also related to the set-up with chainstay extensions.
For sure, with little less than 150 miles, I'm still at the beginning of my ride experience.
When I'm starting on a incline, or climbing a steep hill, I feel the need to sit more upright for balance at low speed.
With a chainstay extension, the handle bar comes further down, so that sitting upright becomes rather difficult.
My question is, are you able to start on an incline, or climbing a steep hill, while being completely laid back on your seat?
Is this only a matter of training?

Ashtabula

Steering tube extension

I would recommend adding a steering tube extension instead of this.

John, can you elaborate on adding a steering tube extension or point me to a relevant thread discussion?

Ashtabula

Bullhorn Availability?

I'm wondering if the Cruzbike powers-that-be can comment on whether or not a bullhorn handlebar option is in our future. I have noticed that bullhorns are no longer an order option on the website so I'm wondering if this is a permanent state of affairs...and if so, what suggestions the community might have for an alternate sourcing.

Ashtabula

RE: Steering tube extension (follow-up)

Never mind my earlier question about steering tube extenders. I've found a whole array of steering tube extensions that seem like they might work.

TalleyHo

Just to be clear, I'm totally

Just to be clear, I'm totally stoked about my bullhorn set up, could not be more pleased with the fit and am totally pleased with the Silvio experience. It has exceeded some high expectations. So I have no interest in making any changes BUT the question I posed above remains (unanswered)... Can the Silvio with drop bars be made to fit taller riders (46+ x seam) ??? And could it be that the bullhorn bar is indispensable for taller riders? And what is CB's plans for bullhorn bars?

The CB bullhorns I have, in the larger size, for me is ideal, as the width, reach and bar end angling are correct, almost like they were designed for the bike... Oh, wait... they were! I'm not sure why, but the bullhorn bar issue has been, for me, and remains a mysterious one. Meanwhile, in week 6 learning the ride, each and every time out it is noticeably better, faster and more comfortable. Just loving this bike!!!

Jeremy S

Dude
Dave, as I mentioned above, I

Dave, as I mentioned above, I have a 45 inch x-seam and fit my Silvio with drop bars and no chainstay extension. I know you wanted maximum aero and a closed cockpit, so you selected a the longest 150mm chainstay extension. However a shorter 100mm extension would alleviate fit issues by raising the handlebars and potentially moving them farther out.

As Ivan mentioned, shorter cranks (170mm or 165mm) would further alleviate fit issues since your legs would not come back as far toward the handlebars while pedaling.

Finally Andrew/ak-tux and John suggested a steerer tube extension, which will further raise the handlebars if there is still not enough cockpit space.

I think that with these options, you could comfortably fit drop bars, if you wanted to.

TalleyHo

Thanks, Jeremy, for

Thanks, Jeremy, for enlightening me on the steering tube extension; now I get it. I had imagined it was some kind of boom extension. It's good to know that I can make the drops work. Maybe next off season I'll convert to drops and brifters and compare. Probably switch to the 100 mm chainstay extension, too.

Ivan

Guru
Marc, I don't find low speed

Marc, I don't find low speed an issue when starting or slowing down even with higher BB and lying down. I generally don't sit up (and yes, you're right that its harder for me with my low handlebars) even when going up hills. When sprinting or powering up a short hill I will sometimes lift my head and shoulders rather than sit up all the way. I find this gives me sufficient extra leverage on the handlebars while maintaining the aero position. Other times I will "bridge" by lifting my butt slightly - so in neither of these cases do I sit up.

The only time I do need to sit up more is starting on a STEEP, WET, or GRAVELLY incline. I do not like this due to wheel slip. Sitting up gives me a little extra help in the wheel slip department.

mzweili

Guru
Ivan, thanks for the

Ivan, thanks for the ''?enlightenment''
wink_smile.gif
you gave me for my 69th anniversary.
The Silvio is my first recumbent bike. Some more training will certainly improve my balance. I already feel improvement from one ride to the other.

TalleyHo

Marc, my experiences are

Marc, my experiences are pretty much the same as Ivan's although i'm only in my second month of riding the Silvio. I do lift my head, neck and upper back forward slightly when i'm needing extra power, climbing or accelerating but also when I need better control, like when cars are passing close or in tight quarters. The 27 degree recline is pretty extreme and when you add to that a high BB you have a situation the body doesn't know initially. One of the many things I like about this CB experience is a chance to add new kinesthetic programing to the body. It's been really quite wonderful to see the body respond. Initially I gave the MBB learning to take 4 months but it's going a little faster, it seems. For a couple weeks now I've been able to focus on speed and my average has gone from 15.5 to 17.5 over a 15 mile TT course in that 2 weeks. i'm so impressed with the efficiency of the Silvio and there is the incentive to get in shape and give it the engine it deserves.

Dave