Tandem, anyone?

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
I saw this today in a YouTube video, is a Cruzbike tandem on anyone's wish list? What motivates folks to ride a tandem?

tandem-recumbent.JPG

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Motivation is everywhere. My folks bought a tandem in post-war Japan because there were few cars and very little gasoline. I restored it back in the 60's so that my cousin and I could see how fast it could go. I re-modified it in the '70's to convert it from 3sp. to 10sp...but rarely got to ride it as I couldn't find a suitable stoker.
If Miz Diane were even the least bit interested in it, I would alter one of my V2/ks into a tandem, similar to what has already been done here: http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/oops-i-did-it-again-introducing-the-folding-cruzitandem.11516/

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
Thanks, I had totally forgotten about Charles' tandem creation. Maybe as Cruzbike grows a Silvio tandem will officially be on offer.

Today I saw a bright white Silvio in downtown Madison, WI waiting to cross University Ave. I shouted approval at the guy from my car window and wow that Silvio looked so right. Cruzbike has a bright future I believe.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I saw this today in a YouTube video, is a Cruzbike tandem on anyone's wish list? What motivates folks to ride a tandem?
I think it would be great fun. I tried to talk my wife into it but her response was: "There is no way I am going to ride with you. You go way faster than I want to go and you would scare me to death!" I told her she would not even have to pedal, and she could be the driver. I thought it would be great fun and a good workout too! Still no go! So, that was the end of that pipe dream. :D

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I think it would be great fun. I tried to talk my wife into it but her response was: "There is no way I am going to ride with you. You go way faster than I want to go and you would scare me to death!" I told her she would not even have to pedal, and she could be the driver. I thought it would be great fun and a good workout too! Still no go! So, that was the end of that pipe dream. :D

You can be my stoker anytime. I'll pedal on the down hill parts.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
We have a Vision R82 tandem. I bought it in 2003 for my son and I to ride the MS150 on, which we did exactly once. He sat in the stoker seat and played his Gameboy. People would ride by and say "he's not pedaling!" To which I would reply, "Tell Me!" because the bike weighed 60 lbs. and he weighed 60lbs. Another suggested I should hook his Gameboy up to the pedals so it would only work when he pedaled. But on the other hand, when I pulled a muscle on the Salisbury Century, he did power us by himself for 14 miles...

I really want to build a Cruzbike tandem, but I haven't come up with a design I like. John T. designed one back in 2014, but it's really hard to get a tandem to carry its financial weight in a small bike company without it being very expensive. When I bought the Vision, it had 500 miles on it and it cost $3000.00, plus $300.00 to ship it from San Francisco. But in those day, I'd have paid anything to get him riding with me.

Bill K

Guru
Simple solution: put the brake handles on the stoker's handlebar. If she thinks you are going too fast she just has to hit the brakes!
You get an even better workout, she is in full control, win...win.

jond

Zen MBB Master
We had the same advise when shopping for kayaks! We choose 2 single and are still happily married. 37 years this Aug 30. I have to make sure I don't schedule a race for that day, or might to be to "happily" . ;):rolleyes:o_O

Coincidentally that is my wife's birthday and she is 37 plus 21 divided by a complete human being (read a beaut gal married happily and putting up with me. Nb I checked this morning). Congratulations Larry on your happy marriage and cycling stable.