Tanglefoot Trail

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I had a chance Saturday to check out part of the new Tanglefoot rail-trail that runs the 43 miles from New Albany to Houston in northeast Mississippi. If you live close enough to venture over for a ride, be aware that Houston provides no amenities at the south trailhead. Unlike the "whistlestop" stations at the other small towns along the trail, Houston trailhead has no bathrooms or water fountains, not even a parking lot. Just a pavilion barely large enough for a couple of picnic tables, and a tiny patch of grass that might hold three or four cars--not that I'd leave a car unattended in that sketchy neighborhood. :eek: Parking at an intermediate whistlestop, or starting at the north trailhead, would be a much better idea.

The trail itself is nicely paved, peaceful and quiet once you leave Houston. I took a break at the New Houlka (pronounced HULK-uh) whistlestop, 10 miles north of the trailhead. A southbound pair of local cyclists rolled in at the same time. They assured me that not only were the facilities good in the other towns, but the scenery was even nicer farther north.

As I was finishing my ride for the day, I encountered two trikers traveling together. We waved and exchanged greetings, and as I passed the second rider, I heard one of them tell the other excitedly, "That's a Cruzbike!" :D

hurri47

I rode my Silvio on the northern half (New Albany to Pontatoc and back) in May of last year, and found the northern half of THAT northern half to be the more scenic. The north Mississippi hill country is completely lovely, and nearby Oxford is one of my favorite cities.

Thanks for the assessment of what I missed.

-Dan

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Nice!

That one is certainly within driving range for me...and not too long for an 'out and back'.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Wow. Pretty desolate. I've always heard it's best to park at New Albany and ride south to Houston. About a 90 mile round trip. Sounds good to me too!

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Ok, about 3hrs to New Albany for me. Would probably be able to get there around 9am, provided I didn't get lost in the middle of nowhere, MS. ;)

Would be nice to do this in the fall sometime, say mid-to-late October or Nov. when the temps are down. We'll have to find someplace nice to have lunch, of course!

I promise not to wear anything Crimson & White. :D Definitely not that close to Oxford...:eek:

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Sounds like a plan. Good lunch spots in Pontotoc, maybe elsewhere. New Albany is almost 3 hours from here as well.