Tannus Solid Tires

Martinius Berg

Cruzbike forum

I have used the Schwalbe marathon + tyres on my bikes for many years and they are just fantastic in there quality . But one day i found an article about the Tannus solid tyres manufactured in Korea. http://www.tannus.com
Bought a pair of them from a supplier in Spain in the size 26 x 1.75 and installed them with the special tools and plastic pins that comes in the package on my recumbent . Easy to install when following the instructions from there videos which is available on You Tube and there main site.

Tannus produces quality tyres in different sizes and they are of a fantastic quality. Under normal cycling conditions the tyres will last between 12 and 15000 km/6000 miles. The tyres are produced equally to 3 different PSI standards 70-90-110 PSI in multiple colours.

Review:
http://veloballs.com/tannus-solid-tyres-review/

Martinius Berg/Norway

Last edited:
I like the idea of no flats, but I would be concerned about the lack of ability to change tire pressure to meet road conditions or my mood. If it's bone dry and I feel like flying, I'll pump up the pressure for a bit more speed. If it's wet and sloppy I'll drop the pressure for a bit more grip.

How do these tires compare to tube tires in wet conditions? Do they grip well?

Martinius Berg

Road conditions and ability : The Cruzbikes are road bikes as far as i know. Tyre pressure for road bikes is usually marked on the tire wall and is a bit different between tire brands.
Tannus tires makes also road bike tires like the ( 700 c slicks) . Tannus PSI marking is mentioned when ordering specific tires models for different bikes. The spanish team is using them today in the Tour De France 2015 . They are sold all over the world and people like them although they are more expensive now in the beginning of there production. The grip of these tires is magnificent and they don't change form neither structure under different weather conditions. Sun nor cold weather does inflict there shape over time , the tires keep constant.

There are some demonstrations that show there grip ability on the Tube. Tannus also explains questions about grip on there site.

B.t.w. You normally don't have to drop any pressure when bicycling under different weather conditions with rubber tires , dry or wet weather makes no difference. Just pump them as advised from your manufacture. Its the rubber quality and tire pattern that is of crucial importance when we are talking of different road conditions. You will notice more vibration in the frame with max. air loaded tires when bicycling on bumpy surfaces as with hard Tannus tires there is no difference.
The thin 700 c rubber and Tannus slicks for road biking have in most cases low profile in a kinda fishbone shape to through the incoming water fast out again.

Hope this gives some answer to your questions.

Sinc. Martinius.

I like the idea of no flats, but I would be concerned about the lack of ability to change tire pressure to meet road conditions or my mood. If it's bone dry and I feel like flying, I'll pump up the pressure for a bit more speed. If it's wet and sloppy I'll drop the pressure for a bit more grip.

How do these tires compare to tube tires in wet conditions? Do they grip well?

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
These look very interesting. Any data on rolling resistance compared to other well know tire/tube combos?

Martinius Berg

This important question have been discussed with the manufactures of Tannus in Korea but i am not shore if they already have published there test report about rolling resistance . I am shore that they are working on it. If you want me to i can have a look into your question Larry?

Martinius

These look very interesting. Any data on rolling resistance compared to other well know tire/tube combos?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Thanks Martinius,
I did some digging and it appears that the best rolling resistance Tannus Tire is: the Aither 1.1
From this article: http://road.cc/content/news/141771-tannus-launches-new-aither-11-solid-tyres
"According to Tannus, tests against a Panaracer tyre revealed that when pedalled at the same power output the Aither 1.1 can travel at 29kph, compared to 30kph for the Panaracer."
That is a pretty good lose, but not as bad as it use to be from what I understand. Others report from 2-8% greater rolling resistance..
Probably won't be putting them on for any short TT's, but might make a good set of training tires that you never have to worry about.