Test ride Rohloff Vendetta

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Yes, I am concerned about how

Yes, I am concerned about how the drag will feel. The SP dynos purportedly feel smoother and are perhaps lighter than others.

I am keeping an eye on the magnic light and have emailed them asking about offering a model with the LED pod separated from the generator body which would unfortunately introduce wires but would allow for front fitment on bikes like the Vendetta and other crank forward recumbents where the cranks, BB, and/or the rider's legs would occlude the normal front mount position.

That red SP dyno looks like it would go really well with your Rohloff hub. ;-)

-Eric

mickjordan

Dynohubs

Once I started doing long randonneuring events with lots of overnight riding, I decided to go for a dynohub and just use my otherwise excellent AYUP lights for my helmet light. I have a SON20R built into a Mavic OpenPro, assembled by Peter White, with a Schmidt Edelux light. I don't notice any drag and it's very light. One added bonus is the use of an eWerk gadget charger during the day. Recently on my nine-day Ride Across Britain tour, I charged an iPhone and a GoPro using the eWerk. And the SON dynamo do come in red!

I figured out how to cable the system for the Silvio, given the hub is on the rear wheel, but never actually tested it.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Switchable Dynohubs

Mick,

Considering the desire to also charge electronic devices during daylight riding do you see any value in having a switchable dyno? E.g. How long did you spend charging your iPhone and GoPro each day? Were you able to use the eWerk during your night riding while using your lights?

I was looking at the RAB info after seeing your post about it. I would love to participate in that ride. I lived in Finstock, Oxfordshire, England for 3 years when I was in the USAF and really loved the UK. I was very, very busy for those three years and didn't get around as much as I wanted to. RAB would make for a wonderful reunion.

-Eric

mickjordan

Re Switchable Dynohubs

Some devices, e.g. the Garmin 800, are unhappy with variable voltage, and keep reporting external power lost. So what I actually did was charge cache batteries. eWerk sells a ridiculously expensive one but I used a couple of XP2000s, then charged the devices separately. On the rare occasion that I was charging the Garmin directly, the external power loss message is a hint that the power level isn't adequate. Basically when climbing hills you can't charge. I'm not sure what speed you would have to maintain to run the light and charge a device. The SON20R (now SONDeluxe) is the smaller model with lower output, originally intended fo 20" wheels. The larger model might handle both.

RAB is a good ride and very well organized. Not cheap, but certainly comparable or less than a typical organized tour.