Testing crank length and Helmets

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Recovery day, so I took the opportunity to do some more testing:
All testing done with 88mm wheel on front. 60mm on rear, power at 155 watts, 3 mile testing on 1/4 mile oval track.
I put a set of 170mm cranks back on my V20, and calibrated them to 170 on the Garmin = lap 2
Then I re-calibrated them at 140mm on the Garmin = lap 4: Shows that the wattage is vastly underestimated now. Still trying to figure out by how much, but the speed showed 2.38mph faster. I'll have to do some cogitating on this one. (Probably easiest to ride the 140mm at the 24.66 mph speed and see what wattage it would take)
The put 140mm set back on = lap6. 0.61mph faster on same wattage as 170mm cranks (when calibrated correctly)
Now helmets: #1 - Giro attack, #2 - Louis Garneau Rocket Aero, #3 - Caseo SpeedTime - all with their respective visors:
Giro = 23.29mph
LG = 23.35mph
SpeedTime = 23.47 mph (with significantly more wind than the others). That is 0.18mph faster than the Giro!
This would be equivalent to 0.51 miles over the course of a Century, or 78 seconds

I bought the LG helmet for $20 used on ebay, the Speedtime set me back $400. The Giro cost me $125 I think on a good sale.
$400 is pretty steep for a helmet (SpeedTime), so not sure it is worth that added expense, although I really like the was the visor wrapped around my ears. The wind noise was virtually eliminated! I did experience some minor lens fogging too, but it was 100% humidity. And did not do the "shaving creme" trick to the lens to try and prevent it from fogging. Of course if you where going for a Century record, 78 seconds would be hard to give up using the Giro!

3 helmets.jpg 20150814 crank and helmet testing.JPG

Martinius Berg

Hey guys

I to have the Casco Helmet and yes it is expensive when purchasing a helmet of such quality but it works well in use when riding my recumbent it does not inter fear with the headrest. But guys at my age i don't need to think about winning the Tour the France anymore . Hormone production went down a couple of years ago ha .... ha... ha... Well joking about serious matters is one thing , talking helmets is another.

My personal motivation for buying a solid helmet like the Casco is :
Traffic safety number 1 avoid injuries . My head is more important then anything else :)
Good and solid design and ergonomics :)
Ventilation is good , especially at warm days :)
Visir integrated and easy to move up when not needed , not getting blinded by sharp light or sun :)
Fits weel , easy to adjust to fit every head size :)
Reflex stripes , i doubt there function ! White color is good :)

Remenber an important thing. Avoid to drop your helmet on any surface as the absorbing function of it gets easily bad. Examen the helmet carefully when dropped on the floor road ect. Next time you use that same helmet be shore there are no cracks or damages.

Martinius :)

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hey guys

I to have the Casco Helmet and yes it is expensive when purchasing a helmet of such quality but it works well in use when riding my recumbent it does not inter fear with the headrest. But guys at my age i don't need to think about winning the Tour the France anymore . Hormone production went down a couple of years ago ha .... ha... ha... Well joking about serious matters is one thing , talking helmets is another.

My personal motivation for buying a solid helmet like the Casco is :
Traffic safety number 1 avoid injuries . My head is more important then anything else :)
Good and solid design and ergonomics :)
Ventilation is good , especially at warm days :)
Visir integrated and easy to move up when not needed :)
Fits weel , easy to adjust to fit every head size :)
Reflex stripes :( doubt there function ! White color is good :)

Remenber an important thing. Avoid to drop your helmet on any surface as the absorbing function of it gets easily bad. Examen the helmet carefully when dropped on the floor road ect. Next time you use that same helmet be shore there are no cracks or damages.

Martinius :)
It looks as though there is a cover on the front vent of the helmet. Do you wear it open or closed? Is the ventilation good and how heavy is the helmet. My existing helmet is 240gms and I expect the Casco speedtime to be 600gms. As you say ... the head is the most important part of the body... so paying for good protection is a brainer.

(Also, what sort of Cruzbike is that, that you are holding up in your profile?)

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Visir integrated and easy to move up when not needed
Hey Martinius, please tell me (or better yet show me with a video clip) how this visor moves us on the helmet. I can't figure it out, and it came with no instructions.
Taking it totaling off is not an easy task, so I hope sliding it up is better.

It looks as though there is a cover on the front vent of the helmet. Do you wear it open or closed? Is the ventilation good and how heavy is the helmet.
It does not appear to "open" like you would think. Somehow air flows through it. I have not ridden it extensively yet. Only this one test on a track. I may ride it this weekend at Mid-Atlantic Century if I can figure out how to flip the visor up when riding (just in case if fogs up on me)

what sort of Cruzbike is that, that you are holding up in your profile?
My Cruzbike in my profile is a V2.1 - nicknamed RoadRunner #1. She sits on a Wahoo trainer now most of the time. I ride my Red V20 (RoadRunner #2) outdoors and in events now.

Martinius Berg

Hey Larry

I found this video at Casco official website fore your Speedtime helmet :
http://www.casco-helme.de/product.php?id=73

When mounted as described its easy to lift the visir up from out the middle and let it rest on the edge of the helmet above your eye sight. The visir have a little magnet that clicks in place in the middle of the helmet edge. Maybe its sits a bit tight on yours ? Mine have elastic bands that are stretchable and mounted through the helmet and the inside !

If you need any further instructions the Casco website have them available . Go to Speedtime eigenschaften and see "Flip - UP " speed mask ! A short video shows how to flip it up the right way :)

Good luck Martinius.
Hey Martinius, please tell me (or better yet show me with a video clip) how this visor moves us on the helmet. I can't figure it out, and it came with no instructions.
Taking it totaling off is not an easy task, so I hope sliding it up is better.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
quite the beautiful helmet collection larry. your extensive research is something to marvel at. thankyou for sharing and i hope you find the ideal to maximise your performance. good luck for the nationals larry. but whatever you do go with the familiar and do not make any changes to anything at least a week out from the event.

jond

Zen MBB Master
i cant believe your wife allowed you to put your sweaty helmets on such a table :)

"off with his head" would be my queens' judgement. and "banish him to the garage dungeon" once we glued your head back on of course :) my wife she loves her tables.