The 5000-miles no-flat tire

billyk

Guru
I reset my odometer when I got larger tires on my Quest-2 in 2013. Well, it turned 5000 miles today and there has not been a flat since then. Either wheel.

Most of my riding is commuting and errands, something less than half on a bike trail, the rest on urban streets. I don't know if Seattle has less glass and junk on its streets than other places (judging by other cyclists here I don't think so), but these tires have stood the test.

They are:

"MTB Flat Guard, Slick 1.5" for 661 wheels.

The tire wall says "Folding cable braid, puncture resistant casing", and it looks like they mean it.

They're rated for 45-80 psi; I run them around 65 in the rainy winter, and 80 when it's dry.

Not for you racer types. But this commuter will trade a little speed for traction and durability.

Billy K

Jeremy S

Dude
Except for my very first tube installation when I messed up and pinched the side of the tube, I have never, in a lifetime of biking, had a flat tire...

I reset my odometer when I got larger tires on my Quest-2 in 2013. Well, it turned 5000 miles today and there has not been a flat since then. Either wheel.

Most of my riding is commuting and errands, something less than half on a bike trail, the rest on urban streets. I don't know if Seattle has less glass and junk on its streets than other places (judging by other cyclists here I don't think so), but these tires have stood the test.

They are:

"MTB Flat Guard, Slick 1.5" for 661 wheels.

The tire wall says "Folding cable braid, puncture resistant casing", and it looks like they mean it.

They're rated for 45-80 psi; I run them around 65 in the rainy winter, and 80 when it's dry.

Not for you racer types. But this commuter will trade a little speed for traction and durability.

Billy K
Seattle! We like Seattle. Billyk where are you located? Lief & I want to organize the Seattle area Cruzbike community to do some social riding.

billyk

Guru
Seattle! We like Seattle. Billyk where are you located? Lief & I want to organize the Seattle area Cruzbike community to do some social riding.

NE Seattle, Ravenna neighborhood. I can be found riding from there to my office at Sand Point every working day (B-G trail from U Village to NE 77th).

Didn't realize there was a Seattle Cruzbike community! Never seen another. Count me in.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
That is a HUGE blow out!!!!
What tyre is it?
Did some of the spokes break or pull through the rim!

It must have been a large 45 degree speed hump?

That is a HUGE blow out!!!!
What tyre is it?
Did some of the spokes break or pull through the rim!

It must have been a large 45 degree speed hump?
Pringled the rim. Sidewalls blew out in multiple places. No broken spokes and hub survived. Drive wheel. T-barred a curb at about 15 mph. Riding in a group and missed that the curb ramps were at a 45 degree angle to the direction of travel until it was too late.