The look is hot and futuristliclly hot

Brokeneck

I already think the silvio and vendetta looks like something from Star Trek, the areo ergo carbons are awesome looking kudos to the look, I have a set of FSAs I may have to try and see how they look when I get my bike I ordered recently, what kind of mirrors are those? I like them, j

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Orientation of the Spy Mirror

As a PSA... I read now and then about people who hate their Spy Mirrors. I love mine on my Catrike 700.

What I notice is a lot of people do not realize that it is a convex mirror (objects are closer than they appear). As such if they are upside down relative to the pitch angle the image will be horrible. What is up and what is down depends are where you mount them.

Up is dependent on the tilt of the lens. If the "Small" curved edge is tilting towards you the rider, the Flat wide side needs to be "up". If the small curved edge is tilting away form you then the small side is up. It is harder to explain if you mount them sideways. Basically one angle focuses the light and one widens it to capture more area behind you. If your image is small, and fuzzy or unstable make sure you rotate the lens through it's 360 do get an in focus image.

On my 700 I have one set on the right to look off in the distance, and the one on the left set to show me close objects in my blind spot. The mirrors are rotate about 160 degrees from each other. Both will still give me the same image if rotated 180 degrees but that image is unstable and fuzzy when rolling down the road.

I am sure someone with an optics background can explain it; but they definitely work at any orientation and it is 180 degree rotational opposite make sure you try both if you are uncertain which one is correct.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Andrew - Yes I am in SW

Andrew - Yes I am in SW Portland.
:)

I favor the Cyclestar mirrors mainly as it is a very clear glass mirror. Perfect optics. The Zefal is not bad, however. It does sit nicely against the bars. But if you are wanting/used to a super clear view it won't provide it.

Robert

Ivan

Guru
Yup, the Zefals are not super

Yup, the Zefals are not super clear, but they are clear enough, light, and will not break. For the purpose of checking traffic they are superb. I was just thinking this today as I was preparing to overtake a stopping bus. I could see in the mirror, that a car was fast approaching behind me. I could then see in the Zefal that it changed lane to give me room so I had confidence to continue to overtake.

I just happened to post some pics that include my Zefals and those aero carbon bars that you seem to like! See this thread.

Tuloose

Guru
I have a Cycle Star mirror on

I have a Cycle Star mirror on my P-38 and it is a good mirror, the only problem being that it get a bit of vibration coming up thru the longish arm.
I have 2 Zefals on my Silvio and really like them. No vibration at all due to their solid mount and a good field of view.
They are easy to knock out of adjustment but just as easy to get back in line.