The Road to 500 miles in 24hrs

jond

Zen MBB Master
New memory foam cushions don't give me quite as pronounced feel of sinking into the foam as the dual density but I know I am. Honestly I totally forgot about the new seat foam after the first 2 mins of my ride and when I finished up I rushed back to work without even thinking about it. I guess the fact that I didn't get off and think "damn I'm still bruised" is a good sign that it's at least not a terrible option. One more ride on it tomorrow before heading to Southern CA for another 12hr MTB race to wrap up the SoCal Endurance Championship. Hopefully 6 days is enough time to recover before the 24hr on the Vendetta the following Friday.

six days will be enough :) best wishes and shall be willing you on. stay safe and give it your best shot for the 12 and 24 hr events.

jond

Zen MBB Master
one thing which i am sure you would know. settle on your final configuration now for the v. dont take anything new into the 24 hr with only a couple of test rides.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
The last thing I need to try is the other handlebars and shorter headrest Jim sent me this week but not sure I'll have time today. I just had an interesting thought though. If I can get Maria who's coming out to the race for support to bring an extra vendetta seat cushion bag(the mesh lining that holds the padding) I can bring my other foam options for quick swaps during the race if something starts to hurt. Kind of like how when we Ultra runners take out favorite two pairs of shoes for a 100 mile running race. Halfway through you swap to the other pair and the slightly different fit brings a welcoming freshness to your feet.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
If she is gonna bring a cover perhaps she can bring a ventisit pad. That will probably work as well and might save you two pounds or more. Just curious, how much does that memory foam hybrid pad of yours weigh?

I would personally take the two pounds but very comfortable seat over the weight savings. And, of course, it depends on which seat is more comfortable and by how much. (I'm also not very light, so 2 lbs just isn't a big deal to me.)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
The memory foam party is heavier then the stock pad but it not nearly as heavy as I imagined it was going to be. Like Charles said, a lb or two is worth the extra comfort when your talking about 24hrs plus this race is totally flat so the extra weight won't hurt as much.

I'll get exact weights later.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Go Go Jason! The Ventisit seat is great as it keeps your back cool as acting as a shock absorber. If your cranks are >= 165 you might be better off with Q Rings.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Well that's another 12hr Mtb race and SoCal Endurance championship in the books. This race was anything but easy with me in 2nd place right from the start and watching 1st place just walk away mins at a time each lap. Around the 7th hr I was holding a steady pace but was still a couple mins per lap slower then the leader who continued to pull away. Mentally he had me on the ropes but I know I'm a fighter and I didn't want to regret anything so I focused on continuing my solid laps. My pit stopped are very fast with me not even uncoupling from my pedals the first 5hrs. Even with a stop to lube my own chain as well as swap helmets, glasses and mount batteries for my lights my total stopped time is less then 6 mins for 12hrs. Once darkness set in the shadows become eerie, twigs become snakes and my advantage with bike control grows exponentially. I couldn't tell if I was catching 1st place but knew I had to be but more then anything I was having fun flying over the rocks and through the blind corners sliding the tires through the sand so I didn't care. About the 10th hour I was getting my second wind and dropping several mins off my lap times while feeling strong as time pasted. Starting my last lap I was told I had moved up to first 2 laps earlier but 2nd place was right on me. I finished with one more final strong lap to complete 16 total and 135miles and take home another win and the 2015 overall solo championship for a second year in a row. I turned out 1st place could hold his pits and when I passed him while he was in his pits and he just couldn't mount a response with my quickening night pace.

I now have a few days for final prep on the vendetta before driving back down to SoCal for the 24hr worlds. I'll be trying to get lots of sleep and general rest and recovery over these next few days. I just got in my reflective tape for the wheels and frame as well as latex tubes per this forums suggestion.

After two very fun Mtb races I'm honestly more terrified of the lack of fun factor in this next race more then ever and just hope I can keep it together mentally and not disappoint those who have helped me. The final countdown has started and the pressure is building.

https://www.strava.com/activities/428546752

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Props for the win. No pressure this week dude. The outcome really doesn't matter, although over 500 would be sweet. I just want to say thank you for giving it a go whatever happens. Wishing you the very best.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Well that's another 12hr Mtb race and SoCal Endurance championship in the books. This race was anything but easy with me in 2nd place right from the start and watching 1st place just walk away mins at a time each lap. Around the 7th hr I was holding a steady pace but was still a couple mins per lap slower then the leader who continued to pull away. Mentally he had me on the ropes but I know I'm a fighter and I didn't want to regret anything so I focused on continuing my solid laps. My pit stopped are very fast with me not even uncoupling from my pedals the first 5hrs. Even with a stop to lube my own chain as well as swap helmets, glasses and mount batteries for my lights my total stopped time is less then 6 mins for 12hrs. Once darkness set in the shadows become eerie, twigs become snakes and my advantage with bike control grows exponentially. I couldn't tell if I was catching 1st place but knew I had to be but more then anything I was having fun flying over the rocks and through the blind corners sliding the tires through the sand so I didn't care. About the 10th hour I was getting my second wind and dropping several mins off my lap times while feeling strong as time pasted. Starting my last lap I was told I had moved up to first 2 laps earlier but 2nd place was right on me. I finished with one more final strong lap to complete 16 total and 135miles and take home another win and the 2015 overall solo championship for a second year in a row. I turned out 1st place could hold his pits and when I passed him while he was in his pits and he just couldn't mount a response with my quickening night pace.

I now have a few days for final prep on the vendetta before driving back down to SoCal for the 24hr worlds. I'll be trying to get lots of sleep and general rest and recovery over these next few days. I just got in my reflective tape for the wheels and frame as well as latex tubes per this forums suggestion.

After two very fun Mtb races I'm honestly more terrified of the lack of fun factor in this next race more then ever and just hope I can keep it together mentally and not disappoint those who have helped me. The final countdown has started and the pressure is building.

https://www.strava.com/activities/428546752

congratulations on the season win repeat... a great effort and very impressive especially the amount of time you do not stop. great organisation and resilience.

good luck for the 24 hr. i would not bother with the latex tubes at this late stage as you have not been able to test etc.

ride smart stay safe and have fun and stick it up em. will be praying for you.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ok so it's final prep time and I'm adding the final touches to the V. Rules require reflective tape so I got that and then some and little extra smiley for the rear of the helmet. Swapped my DF bikes wheels onto the V along with the needed pads. Also installed the Latex tubes so I can monitor them over the next few days incase I decide to go back to normal tubes.
B4CA9430-8FFE-44B3-B0B5-063DA798003A_zpsrpzf6fi1.jpg
84F31912-FC58-4D87-B8CC-A0A49502B6EB_zpsvhuxyhuu.jpg
A4D6208B-7196-482C-8E40-606B9992F313_zpssqzop2rc.jpg

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
For those of you who watched the live results feed I hope I didn't disappoint. Yes I feel short of 500 miles but if you watched how the race played out you saw we were able to rebound in the last 8 hours and work from 9th to 4th overall. I'm not sure I've ever had to dig as deep to keep going fast as I did today. I'm currently sick enough that I'm considering a trip to the emergency room but I wouldn't know what'd they treat me for if I went. I think I'll just sit here I wish someone would put me out of my misery.

The Team CruzBike crew as well as my own RojoRacing crew really did give me world class support and I can't thank them enough for being there this weekend for me.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
For those of you who watched the live results feed I hope I didn't disappoint. Yes I feel short of 500 miles but if you watched how the race played out you saw we were able to rebound in the last 8 hours and work from 9th to 4th overall. I'm not sure I've ever had to dig as deep to keep going fast as I did today. I'm currently sick enough that I'm considering a trip to the emergency room but I wouldn't know what'd they treat me for if I went. I think I'll just sit here I wish someone would put me out of my misery.

The Team CruzBike crew as well as my own RojoRacing crew really did give me world class support and I can't thank them enough for being there this weekend for me.
Regarding your sickness, I would guess severe dehydration in addition to gastrointestinal distress. Kevin Gambill took 4th overall at the 2015 N24HC with 462.3 miles. You did better. He was feeling so bad (worse than I was) that he had to lay on the floor at the rewards ceremony.