The Road to 500 miles in 24hrs

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Nothing wrong with shooting for a high bar and missing. Your total of 474 is pretty darn good. If you want to make some lemonade from lemons consider you were the first American rider. This experiment was fun to follow. Thanks for riding, hope you try it again.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Great job Jason!
Watched it all through the day - wishing I was there of course!
24 hour rides & suffering appear to go hand in hand. (i.e. if you aren't suffering, then you probably wear taking it easy)
Knowing you, I doubt if that would ever be an issue!

Robert O

Let me see: get on the bike in September, take on a major race in a new discipline, sprinkle in some killer MTB races in the middle of your training, finish fourth overall and first recumbent rider? You're amazing, and I for one have nothing but awe for your achievements. Nicely done, Jason!

Well done 24 hours is a long time to be on any type of bicycle.
You did well hope you will tell us about some of the experiences on this long race when you recover.

1happyreader

zen/child method
Whoo hooo Jason

I hope you are smiling , you earned it.

Now that the dust has settled, what might you have changed ??
I know you didn't have the equipment investment you might have had if the bike was yours.
??? more rides in darkness ??
how did the headrest and padding work out for you ??

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and efforts.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Whoo hooo Jason

I hope you are smiling , you earned it.

Now that the dust has settled, what might you have changed ??
I know you didn't have the equipment investment you might have had if the bike was yours.
??? more rides in darkness ??
how did the headrest and padding work out for you ??

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and efforts.

Off the top of my head real quick. I still needed more time to refine the seat pad and headrest interface but we made changes mid race that I can refine now back in the shop. Night riding is a specialty of mine and you'll probably see a few more people using my lighting setup after seeing how well they work and only at 10-20% output all night.

Biggest loss of time was stopping to pee. For some reason on this bike in this position(laying back on my kidneys) I don't retain any fluids I drink. I had to stop on course or in the pits every lap and that's with me drinking half of what I'd normally drink.

The fact that I can barely ride with one hand and only my left hand at that, makes eating on the bike at this point nearly impossible. Compared to my fellow competitors in the top 10 I spent almost twice at much time not moving. Even with all the support I had this weekend I spent much more time not moving then I normally do during a self supported 24hr Mtb race.

I'm currently back at the daily grind but I'll probably not ride again till this weekend so I should have time to write up a race report.

LarryOz

Biggest loss of time was stopping to pee. For some reason on this bike in this position(laying back on my kidneys) I don't retain any fluids I drink. I had to stop on course or in the pits every lap and that's with me drinking half of what I'd normally drink.
One word: Condom- catheter
OK - maybe two words - but they are really nice and worth the minor hassle.
Hook a tube to it and stick in your shorts. We you gotta pee, you just whip it out (talking the tube now, not... ) and hang it over the edge - The warm pleasurable feeling of an emptying your bladder out on the rode.
Just make sure no one is directly behind you and your golden!

It does take a knack to relax enough while you are pedaling to "let it start flowing", but once you got it figured out - it is great. :)

They are a little hard and painful to take off, but well worth the time savings.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Considering your limited time acclimating to the bike and getting it 100% dialed in (which takes a good season of riding and tweaking) your result is amazing!

Robert

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
One word: Condom- catheter
OK - maybe two words - but they are really nice and worth the minor hassle.
Hook a tube to it and stick in your shorts. We you gotta pee, you just whip it out (talking the tube now, not... ) and hang it over the edge - The warm pleasurable feeling of an emptying your bladder out on the rode.
Just make sure no one is directly behind you and your golden!

It does take a knack to relax enough while you are pedaling to "let it start flowing", but once you got it figured out - it is great. :)

They are a little hard and painful to take off, but well worth the time savings.
Where can I get one?

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Regarding the need to pee, I noticed it a lot when I started riding the V. Then I slowly adapted. I did 100 miles on Sunday and only urinated once for the whole ride, at around 50 miles. But I might like to try a catheter (Larry's idea) for racing anyway.

LarryOz

Where can I get one?
Joe,

Many places cell them. Here is one:
www.blowoutmedical.com
This is the SKU for a medium: Medium 28mm MEN5290_ea

You can buy these if you want to practice at home on your trainer:
2000 ml Bag without Anti-Reflux Chamber KND3502_ea
Tubing - 5/16 Inch x 18 Inch PVC with Adapter - Nonsterile KND8884731900_ea

You might also need to buy some extra 5/16" tubing (without the adapter) that can fit in the end of it at whatever size you need when you are out on the road

jond

Zen MBB Master
Off the top of my head real quick. I still needed more time to refine the seat pad and headrest interface but we made changes mid race that I can refine now back in the shop. Night riding is a specialty of mine and you'll probably see a few more people using my lighting setup after seeing how well they work and only at 10-20% output all night.

The fact that I can barely ride with one hand and only my left hand at that, makes eating on the bike at this point nearly impossible. Compared to my fellow competitors in the top 10 I spent almost twice at much time not moving. Even with all the support I had this weekend I spent much more time not moving then I normally do during a self supported 24hr Mtb race.

I'm currently back at the daily grind but I'll probably not ride again till this weekend so I should have time to write up a race report.

with larry's condom catheter you will do great things especially if you keep the drain free of the rear wheel.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Joe,

Many places cell them. Here is one:
www.blowoutmedical.com
This is the SKU for a medium: Medium 28mm MEN5290_ea

You can buy these if you want to practice at home on your trainer:
2000 ml Bag without Anti-Reflux Chamber KND3502_ea
Tubing - 5/16 Inch x 18 Inch PVC with Adapter - Nonsterile KND8884731900_ea

You might also need to buy some extra 5/16" tubing (without the adapter) that can fit in the end of it at whatever size you need when you are out on the road

larry i reckon i might just go straight to the incontinence pads and be done with it :)