The V Chronicles

jond

Zen MBB Master
still a work in progress!

Kline nice bike ! have really enjoyed the build story. how do you find the bike now compared to your special softrider and do you miss the silvio 1.5.

what are your ongoing "kline" plans for the bike build and when will you fit the new curved slider :)

sorry about all the questions.........and thanks for sharing :)

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I'm short and my visibility is pretty good. The shorter your x seam, the more horizontal the boom becomes, and the lower your handlebar is.
I'm short and my visibility is pretty good. The shorter your x seam, the more horizontal the boom becomes, and the lower your handlebar is.
Yes, yes, & yes. I bought a recurved boom prior to building my V based on my Silvio's high bar. Big mistake and waste of money. Visibility is great with stock boom and I haven't even cut the fork yet. If I cut the fork and use the recurve the handlebars will be in my lap. Be warned! Check before you buy.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master

Absolutely right.

Yes, yes, & yes. I bought a recurved boom prior to building my V based on my Silvio's high bar. Big mistake and waste of money. Visibility is great with stock boom and I haven't even cut the fork yet. If I cut the fork and use the recurve the handlebars will be in my lap. Be warned! Check before you buy.

Similar experience here. When I first got the frame together and wheels on, of course I had to sit on it (in it?) in the garage late at night, without even any brakes in place. Could not even see over the bars at all, so immediately got online and ordered the recurved slider. While it was in transit I got the bike into rideable condition and much to my surprise I had good visibility. Went ahead and changed out to the recurved slider when it arrived expecting vis. to be better but it was really unchanged. Have not cut the steerer tube either and see no need to. What did change w the recurved is my hands felt way too low and I felt less control esp w low speed maneuvers. Figure of 8's and sharp u-turns that were easy w the stock slider nearly put me on the pavement because with the bars that low---in my lap, like you said---they hit my hip when making the turns and knocked me off my concentration and interfered with the 'ratz slight lean outward' move.
Over the weekend I put the stock slider back, got the cables all set once again, put clipless pedals, etc. and went for a couple more short shakedown rides. For me at least, the recurved was also not of use.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Kline nice bike ! have really enjoyed the build story. how do you find the bike now compared to your special softrider and do you miss the silvio 1.5.

what are your ongoing "kline" plans for the bike build and when will you fit the new curved slider :)

sorry about all the questions.........and thanks for sharing :)

Thanks jond! Glad you've enjoyed the build as I've certainly had fun building it up. Always good to overcome the challenges brought about by my relative 'newbieness' when it comes to doing my own bike work. I would never have made it through without the experiences shared by others on the forum as they got theirs together.

Compared to Sofrider this bike is a CBR 900 next to a Honda Rebel. I probably have no business on it but lovin it so far. Still miss the Silvio 1.5 but selling it allowed me to get the V. The Sofrider will continue to be a social ride/all-rounder.

As mentioned above I tried the recurved slider and took it back off. Only further plans are to put the water bottle cage on the headrest and use one side of it as a tail light mount (done--see pics below[another post]. Hoping that mount is temporary and that Cruzbike makes the ratz/scabinetguy attachment pole available to order. In the meantime, I feel safer with a place to put the light, even on my homemade mount). Need a place to store a cell phone, wallet, snacks, and a few tools, undecided between the Scarab and the Norback Fastback frame bag, which according to Terracycle is out of stock until late March. And of course tape the bars which will have to wait til Thursday at the earliest. After a bit of time a headrest mod may be in order but who knows.
Again thanks for the kind words!

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Glorious chaos....

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Busch und Müller Cyclestar mirrors mounted as pioneered by Robert Holler. Works great, much lower profile, cleaner look.

image.jpg
SRAM R2C Yaw bar ends....the bomb (w Yaw FD)

image.jpg image.jpg

Cobb rings and cranks....available stock in 145 and 155mm crank lengths. These are 145. Perfect. Any longer and I would have had to either cut the boom or drill out the water cage mounts on the slider. I left the round chainrings on in light of the concensus that Q rings are of less benefit w short cranks. Time will tell.
image.jpg
Home made tail light mount. Temporary i hope (hint hint...make the attch pole available!)

image.jpg image.jpg

Now to tape the bars and get to riding!!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Could you book the BOSS in for another photo with one of your knees as close to the handle bar as possible.
And possibly a photo from about 1 metre behind the bike at shoulder height looking forward to see the mirrors, and also shoulders on the standard seat.
You might need to do something nice for the Boss to get these photos!

The forward view is much better than I expected!!!

Are you waiting for Ratz to finish his build diary, so you will not embarrass him???
OR is the weather so bad (East coast of USA) that working in a garage at -20 C (4 F) is not pleasant?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Slim, I can't finish until he ships my mallet back to me.

But his is the REAL silver Thor Hammer, with LOTS of power, where your tainted black magic infected mallet, that is ALWAYS around when work is done, has no real power, only the power of the person holding it!!!

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Could you book the BOSS in for another photo with one of your knees as close to the handle bar as possible.
And possibly a photo from about 1 metre behind the bike at shoulder height looking forward to see the mirrors, and also shoulders on the standard seat.

The forward view is much better than I expected!!!

Are you waiting for Ratz to finish his build diary, so you will not embarrass him???
OR is the weather so bad (East coast of USA) that working in a garage at -20 C (4 F) is not pleasant?

Slim, will do on the photos. The Boss may get an evening out in the bargain!

Weather here is mid 60's F so cold garage is no excuse for me. I'm just slow! If I was building up two at once with photo sessions at each step it might be Christmas before i got thru.

1happyreader

zen/child method
Hi Joe,,, gotta give you grief, How are you posting if the internet is down ???

Calhoun's had the best price not including shipping.

I have bought from them before.
later,,,, bye

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master

Hi again slim, apologies for taking so long, the BOSS is in high demand these days! Hope these help. Obviously not in riding attire.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg