The 'V' has arrived!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Charles, I am really looking forward to clipping in. I'm not really ready yet, but do have it in the plans. I have SPD on my Cattrike and I was also using SPDs on the Bachetta. When I decided to get the V, I went back to platforms on the Bachetta just so I could get used to them again. Note that I live in the city so clipping in can be a hassle at times due to the stop and go. That all said, I already have my stop routine worked out on the V. Just need to get more miles in.

So, since the subject has come up, what type of cleats do folks recommend. I currently am using SPDs. I'm due for some new shoes in a few months, so I might be game to try something different. I've never really liked how SPDs exit ...

See the V20 Build Diary; sub thread "Frog Hack" those are city friendly and highly recommended; much safer than SPD. While it's just my opinion but spring based return to center with active force pedal (SPDs looking at you here) are not great for you knees when you foot is hanging from the pedal. That design assumes you have your weight on the pedal to counter the constant spring force. In short on a recumbent if your cleat is not straight relative your body geometry then the spring will impart a constant twisting force on your knees while you it opening and closing at a XX Revolutions per Minute (aka you cadence)

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Charles, I am really looking forward to clipping in. I'm not really ready yet, but do have it in the plans. I have SPD on my Cattrike and I was also using SPDs on the Bachetta. When I decided to get the V, I went back to platforms on the Bachetta just so I could get used to them again. Note that I live in the city so clipping in can be a hassle at times due to the stop and go. That all said, I already have my stop routine worked out on the V. Just need to get more miles in.

So, since the subject has come up, what type of cleats do folks recommend. I currently am using SPDs. I'm due for some new shoes in a few months, so I might be game to try something different. I've never really liked how SPDs exit ...

I use SPDs myself. I like being able to walk with cleats.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-m424-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod7808

I also use SPD, to walk the steep hills, JUST to use different leg muscles!

The wide double sided Shimano pedals M424, or M647 are for city riding were LOTS of stop lights are involved, so the starts can be fast with out having to clip the right foot in until over the intersection, as the wide pedal gives a easy target area, that is also OK for sneakers for a quick trip to the corner store!!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-m424-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod7808

I also use SPD, to walk the steep hills, JUST to use different leg muscles!

The wide double sided Shimano pedals M424, or M647 are for city riding were LOTS of stop lights are involved, so the starts can be fast with out having to clip the right foot in until over the intersection, as the wide pedal gives a easy target area, that is also OK for sneakers for a quick trip to the corner store!!

I have dual sided pedals (platform on one side/ spd on other).

I figured I'd use the platform sides occasionally. As it turns out, I almost never ride without cleats (the most common occurrence is when I'm tuning my bike.

hutchtx

All,
Thanks for all of the feedback on cleats. For now, I think I will just get a pair of M424s and give them a try. I have the platform/spd pedal that supper slim has on the Bachetta. I really don't like them because the wrong side is the one that always comes up. That will be really annoying on the 'V'.

For the headrest, I've uploaded a new picture of where I have it right now. I still need it higher, to be honest. I am looking down my nose when I'm riding which means not great vision. The new headrest is on its way so I will give it a try next week. If that doesn't work, I'm going to sacrifice the old swimming noodle (foam the kids used in the pool), and strap it back there. Any other thoughts??

Attachments

• IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 44

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
All,
Thanks for all of the feedback on cleats. For now, I think I will just get a pair of M424s and give them a try. I have the platform/spd pedal that supper slim has on the Bachetta. I really don't like them because the wrong side is the one that always comes up. That will be really annoying on the 'V'.

For the headrest, I've uploaded a new picture of where I have it right now. I still need it higher, to be honest. I am looking down my nose when I'm riding which means not great vision. The new headrest is on its way so I will give it a try next week. If that doesn't work, I'm going to sacrifice the old swimming noodle (foam the kids used in the pool), and strap it back there. Any other thoughts??

Not one that you want to hear but probably a Thor seat and headrest like I and a few other have gone to. The Thor seat curves up your shoulders more and then with a proper headrest position you head is tipped forward like 30 degs compared to what you have now. I too was struggling looking through the corners of my mountain roads because my nose was blocking my view but that doesn't happen anymore. Your headrest doesn't look that bad it just needs to be 1-2 inches strait up to tip your head forward.

Jeremy S

Dude
All,

Moving the headrest backward (out of the frame) will also move it upward, I believe this is what @ratz had been pointing out recently.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I have the platform/spd pedal that supper slim has on the Bachetta. I really don't like them because the wrong side is the one that always comes up.
I have the PD-M324s on both my Cruzbikes. I had been using Power Grips on one set of M324s when they were on a tadpole trike. I took the straps off, but left the mounting brackets--which has the effect of weighting the pedals so that the clip-in side faces me. You could probably find something to bolt on there to accomplish the same thing. It doesn't take much.

hutchtx

All,
Thanks for the ideas on the headrest. Adding a sock to the current stock headrest made a huge difference. It still needs to go up a bit, but at least I can now see where I am going. I do have an adjustable headrest on order and it should get here sometime this week. I think that will do the trick. I have seen what Ratz has been saying about pulling the headrest out. That is where I started. Moving it in made things better and adding the sock improved things further. I just need to make it higher which I think will happen once the adjustable rest gets here.

Once I get that dialed in, I'll add the clipless pedals. I can't wait to give that a try.

Reactions: joy

hutchtx

An update ...

First, regarding the headrest, problem has been solved! The fix was the Suspension Adjustable headrest. I put that on and instantly, things were much better. In fact, I have to say, this bike is VERY comfortable. So far, I can't say it is any faster than by Bachetta Strada (based on Sprints). But what I can say, is it is MUCH MORE comfortable than the Strada and it handles much better. Those two things combined means that any long ride will result (and has resulted) in much better times. This bike is certainly the best "Marathon" bike out there.

Now that I have fit done, I have gotten to the point that I am comfortable enough to put clipless pedals on the bike. Boy, Charles.Plager has it right. This is zen! No problems at all. To be honest, I should have done it much earlier. (I did it for the first time today). Also, with cleats on, for the first time, I really worked on speed. I finally used the big gear up front and with that, we hit warp drive (in this part of Texas, you don't need much gear range and so far, the smaller gear has handled 95% of my rides, things will change once the wind blows again). For sure, this is my go to bike now. Once temps come down a bit, we'll do some sprints again and see if this bike can kick some a--.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Now you got into clips... you can try one foot cycling. You can use the other for balance. This is "The stay out of jail" card. It's saved me many times. You might have a puncture... you might be going slow behind a car. Use it whenever you are unsure and not stable.

hutchtx

Now you got into clips... you can try one foot cycling. You can use the other for balance. This is "The stay out of jail" card. It's saved me many times. You might have a puncture... you might be going slow behind a car. Use it whenever you are unsure and not stable.

Yup, that is what I am starting to do. I am almost to the point I think I'll give a shared use trail a try. In the mean time, starting to work on speed. For the first time, I did a full ride on the big ring. Whoa Nellie!! This bike likes to go!! (I got a couple of PRs on a few segments today without even trying)

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I got my second ride in today and pretty much picked up from where I was a week ago. I hope to get a lot more riding in over the weekend so things should start feeling good next week.

Question:
How do people mount their computers? (I have a Wahoo Element). It is really hard to see on the handle bars. I was hopeful not to use one of those extensions they have for it.

--Dave

My Aerobelly made required a higher mount for my GPS (and electronic horn), thus I did this:
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/gps-mount-for-silvio-s30-v.11882/

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I have a wahoo elemnt too and I have a curved slider with the bend downwards and my elemnt is at 90 degrees to the normal, so if I want to read the map I have to make the 90 degree conversion. Actually the human mind is quite marvelous at interpretation. When you see something, it's actually inverted 180degrees on the retina so the mind swivels it 180degrees. Also if you have never seen or lack knowledge of boats... you don't see them sailing on the horizon. The mind interprets everything so with this abstraction it's possible to adapt to a wahoo elemnt that's offset by 90 degrees.:D