The X01 Eagle has landed

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Will this work on a Vendetta?

SRAM X01 Eagle:
- 12 cogs, 10-50T cassette: 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36, 42, 50.
- Chain
- Trigger shifter
- Rear derailleur
- Driver body

Other things:
Keep my 53T Q-ring.
Only have one chainring.
Remove my front derailleur, chainring shifter, and cable.
Keep my 150mm crank arms.
Keep my existing wheels.

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/family/x01-eagle#sm.00000d460ct8aye0xyq9or5svdllk

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Drive wheel needs an XD drive for the hub which can be purchased aftermarket for premium hubs most the time. A Q-ring won't have the narrow wide teeth needed to guarantee the chain wont pop off in the event you hit a bit bump or pot hole.

Will this work on a Vendetta?
- 12 cogs, 10-50T cassette: 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36, 42, 50.
Keep my 53T Q-ring.

A 53/50 combination would leave a lot of chain slack at 53/10. You'll need to look into how much slack the derailleur can take up. I have a 50/34 11-36 10-speed set up with a SRAM X0 long cage and the 34/11 combo rubs. That's asking the derailleur to take up 16+25=41 teeth. You'll be wanting to take up 40 teeth. You *might* not be able to run in high gear.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
What Jason said; you need a Rotor CX1 for single speed; that maxes out at a 46T but don't under estimate how big a jump a 10T is over an 11T.

A 46x10 is almost as big of a gear as 53x11

46x10 is 121.3 gear inches
53x11 is 127.1
53x12 is 116.5

So the 46x10 is half way between the 11 and 12 on the 53. How offten do you ride in 53x11. If you have electric shifting Di2stats.com will tell the tale

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 22.34.27 PM.png

Last edited:

ratz

A 53/50 combination would leave a lot of chain slack at 53/10. You'll need to look into how much slack the derailleur can take up. I have a 50/34 11-36 10-speed set up with a SRAM X0 long cage and the 34/11 combo rubs. That's asking the derailleur to take up 16+25=41 teeth. You'll be wanting to take up 40 teeth. You *might* not be able to run in high gear.

Eagle derailleur has a super long derailleur and a pivot; as long as he's got that it will work. Remember no front derailler so that is 14T of capacity that isn't used by being in a little ring offset from a big ring.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
To start with: Aargh, the sods! I was up-to-the-minute cool with my 11sp cog and wide-narrow chainwheel, and now they've invented sodding 12sp, the sods!

Rant over. Sram website says the Eagle cog is the same as the XX1 with an extra cog slapped on the side, which makes it wider. I had to add a washer to make the XX1 cog fit in my Silvio forks. Would the Eagle cog be too wide? I am told you should not spread aluminium forks. Does the trigger shifter fit road bars? Mountain bars do not fit the clamp on the slider. I went through the whole "road vs mountain" business and it is a test of mental stability.

All that aside, my XX1 works really well. I have never had the chain jump off. I have a Raceface wide-narrow 42t. I almost don't miss my Grasshopper's Rohloff.

I keep wondering about the elliptical chainwheel, but I do not want the chain to jump off. I discovered Garbaruk. This is a company that makes w/n elliptical. They call it a melon. I am wondering again.

BentSk8r

I keep wondering about the elliptical chainwheel, but I do not want the chain to jump off. I discovered Garbaruk. This is a company that makes w/n elliptical. They call it a melon. I am wondering again.

What a great find! Garbaruk also makes cassette extenders AND specially designed derailleur cages which modify recent Shimano and SRAM RD's to shift better with large range cassettes. I just installed a Wolf Tooth 42 and can shift over the whole cassette with a SRAM XO medium cage but the shifting isn't snick-snick optimal at the outer edges of the cassette and that is precisely the promise of the Garbaruk RD cages. http://garbaruk.com/rear-derailleur-cages/sram-rd-cage.html

Will report back after I get some hands on experience. (Hands no longer get dirty with a beautiful waxed chain.)

Last edited:
I've been intrigued with the Eagle ever since Joe posted this. I was trying to figure out how to do this on a S40. Back in the 10-speed days, SRAM road shifters could shift MTB derailleurs. I'm still using 10-speed for that reason. But that has changed with 11 and 12 speeds. So the trick to building now is how to use MTB controls. The trouble is MTB controls go on MTB handlebars with a 22.2mm clamp area and dropbars are 23.8mm. Not compatible.

Road handlebars are 31.8mm stem clamp, 23.8mm shifter clamp
MTB handlebars are 25.4mm stem clamp, 22.2mm shifter clamp

???Does this exist???
31.8mm handlebar with 22.2mm shifter clamp???

Yes it does, the Soma Gator Handlebar
http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/gator-handlebar

The bar arrived today, but I've already built out my S40 with SRAM Force 10-speed shifters, 50/34 crank and 11-36 cassette with an X0 rear derailleur. I have that set up on my V20 and it works well. At some point I'm going to want to build a 1x12 set up and it looks like the Gator bar will be the ticket. Maybe next build.

New Cruzbike S40 handlebar 340g
Soma Gator Bar 400g

2017-06-29_00005.JPG

2017-06-29_00007.JPG

2017-06-29_00008.JPG

2017-06-29_00010.JPG

ccf

Guru
Garbaruk also makes cassette extenders AND specially designed derailleur cages which modify recent Shimano and SRAM RD's to shift better with large range cassettes. I just installed a Wolf Tooth 42 and can shift over the whole cassette with a SRAM XO medium cage but the shifting isn't snick-snick optimal at the outer edges of the cassette and that is precisely the promise of the Garbaruk RD cages. http://garbaruk.com/rear-derailleur-cages/sram-rd-cage.html

Will report back after I get some hands on experience.

@BentSk8r, have you tried the Barbaruk RD cage yet?

-Cliff

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I have a Shimano Ultegra 6800 rear deuralier short cage that's doing nothing. With the garbaruk cage added to it i could use it on the T50. $59 though. I too would like to know if anyone else has used Garbaruk?

3WHELZ

Guru
I am considering the same path paired with a Efneo GTRO for a S40 build. The ratios are insanely extreme. The baseline version is 28t and a 37t option.

Attachments

• Mike Sherman's Bicycle Gear Calculator 37t.pdf
    249.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Mike Sherman's Bicycle Gear Calculator.pdf
    249.3 KB · Views: 3

ratz

Just the ring. For the alternating tooth size; the BCDs are standard road and mtb

Kenneth, yes the Gator bars are longer. It's a bit difficult to measure, but it looks like you'd get around 4 or 5 more cm.