Theft / tamper alarm

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear Ratz
           It looks

Dear Ratz
It looks good, but NOT waterproof.
Where are you going to fit it inside the frame?

Photos please!

SS

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Slim
I plan to velcro it

Slim

I plan to velcro it inside the main tube directly under the bottom seat area. I dont expect much water to ever get into that part of the frame. I am a sport rider if I get rained on I will be sitting on the bike. I am mostly thinking that this will be a nice way to protect the bike when I stop for bathroom breaks at convenience store on long rides. I do not have many problems but have found people sitting on my trike when I come out of the store. For that type of riding this will be more convenience than carrying a heavy lock and gives me that little bit of protection for the 3 minutes of unattended and out of site situations. When It is installed I will post pictures and a full review of the loudness and sensitivities. There are other water proof units but I like this one because of the remote alarming which will allow me to bury inside the frame with my emergency tube; and then not need physical access to alarm or disarm. Which also means a theft of opportunity would have to unbolt my seat to disarm it.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
You could put the alarm in a

You could put the alarm in a baggie. Shouldn't make it much quieter or make it function any worse...

Don't know how much protection it really adds, but being able to click your bike locked as you walk away is pretty cool. :D

ratz

Yeah I decided that for the

Yeah I decided that for the times I would never use a lock because I would be unwilling to carry the weight for 80+ miles; that I would like something to deter crimes of opportunity. I got the idea from reading this article on locks which is really well done.

Ivan

Guru
Ha! I had a similarly cheap

Ha! I had a similarly cheap one installed on my motorcycle (though that one was wired to the 12V battery not on a separate battery like this). Never thought of it for my Silvio...interesting idea!

Vargas

Have you ever heard of a stollen Cruzbike?

They are so different, difficult to ride for the first time, that I can't imagine anyone stealing it.
I carry a lock but never lock the bike. But I don't commute and don't leave it unattended for hours in a parking. Only for a couple of minutes while going into shops, pit stops etc.
My only worry is with the Ventisit. But it is always there when I return (I prefer to take the chance than carry it around with me).

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
In a place like NYC, it

In a place like NYC, it doesn't matter if they can ride the bike, they'll take it to harvest parts. So nobody else being able to ride it doesn't help as much as one might hope...

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Ratz
   That is a very good

Ratz
That is a very good report on bike locks, BUT mainly on how to lock up your bike!!!

I think you noisy alarm would be very effective as long as it is well hidden and hard to get to, for the thief to silence it!

The Silvio 2.1 with the open seat back frame, would allow the alarm to be installed below the headrest clamps

SS

ratz

Low jack your bike

Stumbled on this reading the blog over at fyxation.com

Looks like it's shipping in the next few months. Might be one to watch. Was a KyckStarter funded project.

http://bikespike.com

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I agree with cplager.  From

I agree with cplager. From bitter experience, in London not NYC. The first bent I owned. I thought that the nickers could be divided into two categories - those who wanted to take the bike away and sell it, and those who wanted to ride it immediately. I thought they would judge my bike to be hard to sell and hard to ride. I used a really rubbish cheap lock. I came back to find the lock, cut. Someone said it was probably taken for parts. Rohloff, Magura, Meks forks. About 6 months old. The frame probably went into the Regents Canal.

This lock business is really difficult. A U-lock is no good, because the seat is so wide. I wanted to leave my Grasshopper (the second bent I owned) somewhere for a few hours, so I got a cable-lock for motorbikes. Really heavy. Could hardly get it into the Moonbiker bag, and this is one of the biggest bags. I unlocked it and it sprang straight. The lock on the end was really heavy, and nearly brained me. I wanted to wind the cable through the frame and both wheels and the railings. Ten minutes of struggling and scrabbling and fighting it on the ground, and it was locked on. Unlocking it and stowing it away required another ten minutes, in which it tried to knock me out again.

I have an Abus lock now, which is a lot easier usually, but in some places it only just fits the railings.

This lock problem seems to be inherent in recumbents and not DF bikes. I don't know a solution.

ratz

Yowza - It's loud jim

The Scooter alarms arrived today courteously of Ebay @ $4.95 ea. Yowza they are LOUD! and then go off at the slightest jarring...
We'll figure out how to mount them in the frame this weekend; might have to disassemble them to make them fit; but at 100g and as loud as this it; I think we have a winner.

I will make a video for those that want to see it in action in the bike.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear Ratz,
 I think there are

Dear Ratz,
I think there are MANY forum members waiting for this video, especially the new Silvio V2.X owners!!!

Super Slim

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Also curious to know if it

Also curious to know if it eats 9 volts when idle as one reviewer claimed?

-Eric

Ivan

Guru
What's the eBay link? Cos you

What's the eBay link? Cos you said eBay but the link you gave is Amazon and it's not $4.95 there! :)

ratz

Ebay link

Ivan - Ebay link for the alarm is Scooter Alarm looks like the price is now $7.00 Canadian. Blame my bad memory.

Eric - I'll do a burn down test with it to see; but there is an off switch in addition to the remote.

I tested it last night and the wife gave me a dirty look and proclaimed at the top of her lungs "You are such a boy, now turn that blasted thing off" that's a good indicator of how loud it is.

Plan 1: Insert inside frame tube with agreesive locking velcro.
Plan 2: It might not fit through the small opening in the frame; if so crack one open and see if I can repackage it in a way that fits; there nothing special about the plastic enclosure. That would allow me to make it water proof too.
Plan 3: mount on the seat pan underside in a place that the rear saddle bag that I almost always ride with hides it.

1 & 2 are the most weather friendly; 3 is probably the most battery friendly as it makes the battery off switch easier to get to. My hope is that it only burns battery fast when armed. Since this is mostly going to be a gas station, nature break, and coffee shop alarm for us; I'm thinking we'll only arm it for short periods of time.

If we do #2 and battery life is reasonable, I'll probably also rewire it with Qty 3, 9volts in series so that I can tripple the battery life and just leave it on in the bike and turn on but not armed.

my order took two weeks to arrive.

ratz

Installation of alarm

Ok so here's the installation of the alarm and a video demo.

alarm%201.jpg
alarm%202.jpg

Simply water proofing for now

alarm%203.jpg

Add some velcro to mount it
alarm%204.jpg
alarm%205.jpg

Velcro tie wrap to secure it to the velcro on the bar.

alarm%206.jpg

Cover it with the head rest.
alarm%209.jpg

And here's the video demo

Update: I triggers the alarm with larger than necessary bumps. Just taping the frame sets it off; just was too tired to make a third recording.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0fkq5gnqv5orpr/alarmvideo.mp4

billyk

Guru
can the sensitivity be adjusted? (way, way down)

That looks like it would be going off constantly in the urban bike-rack situations where theft is most likely to be a problem. Someone jostles the bike while moving theirs in or out of the next rack-slot ... They will be pissed off, and so will everyone around. Ideally such an alarm would work if a wheel was turned more than a little bit, which would be a more definitive indicator of theft. That's apparently more difficult to engineer, but knowing how I feel when someone's car alarm goes off unnecessarily, I'd be dubious about putting this on my bike.

BK

ratz

Selective use..

Billy,

That is a very good point and one that was not lost on me.

I view it as selective use technology. For me the Silvio is not an urban bike rack sort of bike. But I will:
  1. Lock it at the grocery store in a suburban area where the bike rack is empty.
  2. Leave it unlock outside a country gas station while using the facilities
  3. Leave it outside the rural park shelter while tending to urgent matters
  4. Put it in the bike rack at the local coffee shop.
In those case I will make a judgment call based on length of stay and whether I'm going to be out of view of the bike. I would never arm the alarm and then leave it for over and hour and be out of ear shot of the alarm. Instead I view this alarm as useful for extremely short stop where the bike will be out of sight and the journey would not have justified carrying a heavy lock of sufficient quality to be actually useful. An Example of my primarily my goal is piece of mind for the 80+ mile rides I do where the weight of a lock is very prohibitive and I plan to do supplies via rural "convenience" stores. My bikes are often out of sight for 5-10 minutes but I'm within 300 ft of them. At least twice on such rides I have come out to see kids sitting on the trike checking it out. The alarm is intended to discourage that sort of thing. People have got rude about not touching things that don't belong to them this is just a nice way to remind them I take my property seriously.