Theft / tamper alarm

billyk

Guru
Your #2 reminds me of a story ...

Hi Ratz - Yes, I agree. Choosing your situations would probably alleviate the problem.

But your #2 "Leave it unlocked outside a country gas station while using the facilities", reminds me of a funny story. In my office we commuters bring our bikes indoors during the workday. One afternoon on leaving work, I was (typically) in the bathroom "leaving a little weight behind" before riding up the hill to home, with my Quest leaned against the hallway wall outside. Standing at the urinal, I heard the unmistakable sound of a bike being wheeled away. Instantly abandoning my "task", and not stopping to consider what was hanging out, I dashed into the hall to see a colleague thinking he was playing a joke on me by moving the bike around a corner. As luck would have it, my boss happened to be walking right by. Fortunately all involved were male so now it's just a funny story .... But something to consider as you stand in the "facility" of a country gas station and hear that alarm go off.

BK

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Usage report....

Ok had the alarm on the bike for 5 rides. Battery still going strong.

Discovered two new uses as a happy accident.

1) Dog runs towards bike while rolling. Activate the alarm sensor while riding; alarm immediately goes off; dog stops and stares as I ride away.

2) Since the alarm goes off instantly if armed while rolling; it work just like a horn but seems to get motorists and joggers attention a lot faster.

I'll be testing that out some more as the opportunity present themselves.

Shahmatt

I had a similar alarm from

I had a similar alarm from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bike-Alarm-Lock-Bicycle-Motorbike-Moped-Cycling-Security-Sound-Loud-/310923681725?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48647edfbd

Unfortunately after around 6 months the electronics began to go wonky and it would not work properly (would not disarm when the code was input). I tried replacing the battery but the problem would not go away.

Now I use one like yours but this one disarms with a key. About 6 months old and still going strong. Hopefully it will last longer.

Another method of deterring thieves maybe rust stickers:

http://dominicwilcox.com/portfolio/anti-theft-carbike-device/

Derfall

Bike Hawk (may or may not be on the market yet) has three models for GPS tracking to your smartphone. Headset, seat post, or built into a flashing rear light. Sky Lock or Skylock is is U lock that opens with your cell phone, and signals you if the bike is shaken. Solar panels charge the battery. A U lock must work somewhere... No? Be safe - get both.

I have a long bar that I bought years ago to lock onto the steering wheel of my Caterham Super 7. Sort of the Cruzbike of the car world. It takes 9 or 10 9 volt batteries. If it's shaken 50,000 volts of blue "lightening" travels up and down the 2 foot bar. Definitely would put a bike thief on the ground. Probably illegal by now.

Unfortunately, I had to sell off the car and other toys years ago. I still have a need to have the ultimate transportation technology and speed. Therefore, a Vendetta is in my future, and of course, I'm expecting "you paid how much for a bicycle?" to be asked often.

In the meantime I have a high-tech longboard skateboard, with upgraded wheels, bearings, and a very cool drum brake system from brakeboard.com. I had to start somewhere! Art age 70

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Are you still using the intruder alarm, OR has it gone off when it should not have, and you used your trusty rubber mallet on it?
It's still here; I install it when I ride in places that require it. I now attach it under the seat pan with 3m dual-lock velcro. Never get a false alarm unless up bump the button just like my car

hurri47

I looked at a couple of other devices like this one. One of them specified a maximum operating temperature of 75F and 85F (!) max for storage. Not useful in Arizona where 75F gets to be a distant memory for five months a year. I looked at specs on a few other alarms but no temperature ranges were given on any of them. Have any users run across issues around temperature?

-Dan

super slim

Zen MBB Master
It's still here; I install it when I ride in places that require it. I now attach it under the seat pan with 3m dual-lock velcro. Never get a false alarm unless up bump the button just like my car
How have you water and salt proofed it for under seat pan use, as living so far North, I assume that the roads are under 10 ft of snow for SIX months, there is black ice and salt covered roads for FOUR months, leaving the TWO months of June and July for ride in sunny, NO??? raining days!!!!