Thinking about a Silvio 2

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Thinking about getting a Silvio 2. Just reading on the website that it only accepts ten speed systems. I'm not a real fan of the ten, so I figured I'd probably stick to a nine.

I get that you have to run an external bearing bottom bracket, so it becomes necessary to run a ten speed crank, but will a ten speed crank play nice with a nine speed cassette? Has anybody tried this? The only thing I can come up with is I know the chainrings are for narrower chain and so nine speed chains might not play nice with ten speed cranks. Everything else should work like it should, since a nine speed cassette and a ten speed cassette essentially occupy the same space. Shifting the nine speed on the ten speed spacing on the front derailleur won't be an issue since I won't be relying on indexed shifters. If I do this, I will run Barcons on Paul Thumbie adapters.

Mark

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
GXP 9 speeds still available

Couple of options

(1) Most 10 speed cranks are 9 speed compatible. Major players like FSA market their rings as 10 and 9 speed.

(2) Do a little googling and you'll find that you can still get GXP nine Speed crank sets out there; Some Truvativ for sure and some SRAM X5 stuff should still be in inventories at many suppliers. Most will be compact triples that you might have to ditch the little ring on. Or you could mod it like the changes to get a Ultegra triple to fit.

(3) Get any of the compact SRAM crank sets, Rival or Apex for example. Then get some Vuelta 9 speed 110 chain rings and change them out if the 10 speed power glides give you a problem.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Thanks, Ratz.  Not so worried

Thanks, Ratz. Not so worried about where to get cranks as much as how the rings will do with nine speed chain. You answered that question.

Thanks again!

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
If issues arise, or to avoid them,

You could buy a 10-speed crank and bearings and mount 9-speed chain rings on it... But I think it will work fine in any case, particularly if you are using friction shifting.

The bearing shells need to be 44mm in diameter. SRAM Rival stuff seems to work very well on these bikes, and the price isn't outrageous. SRAM Apex is of equal quality, but at a lower price point.

Good to see ya round the place again, Mark.

Doug

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I've used 10 speed cranks

I've used 10 speed cranks equipped with 10 speed chainrings with 9 speed chains-shifters-RD-FD on my bikes without issue.

Like Ratz said, most 10 speed are compatible with 9 speed systems.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I thought they might be

I thought they might be compatible, but you never know... 10 speed chain is pretty narrow.

Thanks for the welcome back, Doug!

Mark