This is why I'm training indoor right now.....

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
This is my front yard - It has been snowing now for about 2 days. Everything is pretty much closed down around here right now..

snow in yard 20160123-s.jpg
Of course I just had to be able to say that I "braved" the 20 degree elements in my biking shorts only - Yes I do have them on. My wife made sure of that - she doesn't like me streaking in the neighborhood! :0
larry with snow 20160123-s.jpg
maybe later I'll take the bike out and sit on it - if I can get someone to take a picture of me on it! :)

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I had heard you folks were going to get a good dusting back east. Plus one for your wife Larry, please keep them biking shorts on :eek:!

Robert O

Hmm... here, I need a paddle to row down the street, but not to dig out my car. Larry, are you saying that your wife doesn't mind you streaking in other neighborhoods? Just askin'...

LarryOz

Around these parts we call that a dusting. You'd be expected to be no more than an hour late for work.
Well spoken by someone who works from home! We'll be lucky to get out of our neighborhood by Monday - We live on a private road of a "never" plowed secondary.
I'm set up to work from home via VPN (had to on Friday and Saturday) , so probably will on Monday too if I have to.

Larry, are you saying that your wife doesn't mind you streaking in other neighborhoods?
Yeah right - haha
She doesn't even like me walking around the house just in my cycling shorts - "the neighbors might see, and think you are walking around naked!" haha

LarryOz

An hour later, done! Now I can at least ride up and down the driveway.;)
Maybe practice my 2 second intervals.
They are forecasting near 60 F for next Saturday. Gotta love winter in NC...
driveway shoveled-s.jpg
Of course now the neighbor is made at me because his wife wants him to shovel his driveway too.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Well here in Spain is a bit like Florida. However the mornings are a bit too brisk for me on the V. If I wait for the afternoon, the temperature is just right at 17c (63f), but the wind is cold and it blows quite a bit around 1pm. Yesterday I had a good ride and met friends in a restaurante for a light meal; Soupa de Marisco & Calamares con Batatas Fritas.

I parked the V just outside the restaurante and everyone looked at me as though I was a Martian. LOL. I didn't have a lock with me and my prized possession was intrusted to the waiters. They said they would keep a close eye on it for 90 minutes. It was still there when I left.

I was trying out my Tifosi glasses with clear lenses underneath my Giro Air Attack Visor. It helps keeping all the dust and crap from getting in my eyes and when the sun goes in I invert the visor on top of the helmet. It worked very well so if I do a long race I would either do that or by a clear visor. But being colder; if I stop then the lenses all mist up.

Last edited:

quickbeam

An hour later, done! Now I can at least ride up and down the driveway.;)
Maybe practice my 2 second intervals.
They are forecasting near 60 F for next Saturday. Gotta love winter in NC...
That's the difference between there and Chicago or MN. Yes, you did get dumped on, and despite Ratz's comments, that's more than a dusting for a midwesterner. (Although back in '91 we got 39" in MN as I recall). In Chicago we get a 20" storm about every 6 years. The difference is, here it would stay on the ground until March (maybe Feb. in southern MN like the Twin Cities). You don't have to worry about it packing into ice on the driveway, etc. You get the driveway mostly clear and the sun does the rest, as you can clearly see in the picture.

I lived in N. Virginia for a while, and 3" of snow would shut the nation's capitol down, people would rush out and buy toilet paper and bread and milk. They didn't have many snowplows, so the next day it would be frozen slush, but a day or two after that it starts melting and then everything's back to normal. I always wondered how many people really didn't have enough toilet paper to last a couple days?

1happyreader

zen/child method
When living in Nashville we joked at first snowflake :
" grab the lawn chairs , and go sit in Krogers (grocery chain) parking lot, The shows about to start !"
later,,,, bye

SamP

Guru
I lived in N. Virginia for a while, and 3" of snow would shut the nation's capitol down...

DC got about 1" of snow on Wednesday before the big storm which resulted in a huge mess on the beltway. Then Friday-Saturday the metro area got as much as 3' of snow (DC itself was around 20"), out in the far western suburbs it was about 30". Pretty much everything was closed down through Sunday, most government offices are still closed.

Yes, but aren't you the guys that invented running into the snow naked after a sauna?

I think the sauna experts are from Finland.
I don’t go in a sauna often.
A few years ago, I was in the mountains, was in the sauna, and swam in a cold lake with my swimming shorts.
I would never voluntary have jumped in that lake without the sauna first.