those darn laws.....

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
It would be clear violation of law #1 not to point out that these are now shipping in volume:

http://www.reconinstruments.com/products/jet/

Now I must remind myself that just because they've been shipping snow board products for years; technically it's not been shipping for a year; so if one of you gets one then I don't have to feel compelled to get one for 12 months.

Must not login to dc-rainmaker.com... must not login to dc-rainmaker.com ... must not log....

ratz

Wear those riding a vendetta and people are going to think you are targeting some sort of weapon array at them.

1happyreader

zen/child method
When I first saw these I thought they were the most logical step in to the future.
If the battery technology does not improve this product might die on the vine.
I don't see its market target willing to carry a second battery for a six hr ride.
Battery life
  • Up to 4 hours of typical use per battery
    At 20°C, with connection to third-party sensors and smartphone as well as moderate use of the camera and Maps
  • A spare battery can be swapped in easily
  • Battery life will decrease at low temperatures and with heavy use, with Glance Detection disabled, or with “GPS always on” enabled

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Now I'm gonna need a third job!
I wonder how the airDog handles overhead power lions!
Pun intended. :)

It would be clear violation of law #1 not to point out that these are now shipping in volume:

Now I must remind myself that just because they've been shipping snow board products for years; technically it's not been shipping for a year; so if one of you gets one then I don't have to feel compelled to get one for 12 months.

Must not login to dc-rainmaker.com... must not login to dc-rainmaker.com ... must not log....
If this could be programmed to show my continuous glucose meter data as a HUD, that would be very useful.

DuncanWatson

Abbot
What meter do you use? I have a pebble watch and it links to my phone. If I can dig up the API used to get data from your meter I'll bet it wouldn't be hard to make a pebble watchface to display it. My pebble watch is ~$100, waterproof and has ~7 day battery life. It wouldn't be a HUD but may have use to you.

I use Dexcom for my CGM. I know that the Apple watch works with it. I already have it synched to my iPhone. I could actually get a handlebar mount for my CGM as another option. I've also got a Vibe insulin pump which picks up the signal as well.

Thanks for thinking about ways to help. Things are changing rapidly in the world of T1 electronics. For now I'm OK, was just looking at these glasses from a future application standpoint.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master

Alright Locutus, consider yourself in trouble for posting this...

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Excerpt from Ray's review:

Right now the battery life isn’t terribly awesome on the Jet however. It’s one of the areas they saying they’re focused on over the next few months. At the moment getting more than a couple hours hasn’t seemed to happen for me. They’re aiming to get it up to about 4 hours though, so enough for many rides – but not quite enough for an Ironman bike. So you’ll need a few batteries. The battery is super-tiny, basically like a gel packet. And most Ironman athletes go through quite a number of gels on a ride. So I suppose it all works out.

The first thing that popped in my head is all of those types that slurp down their gel packet and then toss it on the road. I had images of strewn about battery packs from these $700 Recon Jets where people were getting their battery packs and gel packs mixed up.... o_O

ratz

Wow us simple minds have obvious thoughts because that's exactly where my brain went as I read your quote. :confused:

They'll have to move to a fanny pack or helmet mount battery or the glasses will get too heavy.
Version 3 looks a bit invasive, but they plan to make it fit under a helmet.
320x240.jpg