thoughts from a smaller rider

DuncanWatson

I wish there was a general forum. One of the things that attracts me to the Cruzbike MBB FWD platform is how the elimination of crank/wheel interference allows the design to accommodate shorter riders on 700c equipped bikes. I sold my 650c Corsa to Tim Turner years ago. I could ride it but wasn't comfortable starting and stopping or at rest at a light on that bike.

I have my Vendetta coming and have a certain amount of anxiety regarding it but I feel pretty confident that I will master it. I am curious if any of the shorter riders have pictures of their bikes from the side showing the front triangle. I know that once the bike is in my hands I will know more but if I could see some pictures of shorter riders bikes it would be interesting to me.

BentAero

Here's one of Larry Oz, he's about 5'1" (Maria is taller than he is) and seems to get along ok...

;)

20150502_151526_8_zpsgoqognad.jpg

Maria Parker:
20150502_105052_zpsuumfrqkd.jpg

Last edited:

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
What?! Are you pulling our collective leg, or is Larry truly only 5'1"? If so you have just made me feel immensely better about my chances of being able to make the Vendetta work for me, as I most definitely fall into the 'shorter rider' category. How tall is Maria??

Cruzbike Hobbits, unite!

VenRiderGuy

What?! Are you pulling our collective leg, or is Larry truly only 5'1"? If so you have just made me feel immensely better about my chances of being able to make the Vendetta work for me, as I most definitely fall into the 'shorter rider' category. How tall is Maria??

Cruzbike Hobbits, unite!

Not wishing to start a "discussion", but in an earlier post about the V for sale that I eventually purchased, Larry noted that he was about 5' 7" with a medium frame V.

jond

Zen MBB Master
"going meeep meep meep." randy newman song a diminutive low blow hit unlike LARRYS BIG ACHIEVEMENTS. some very interesting discussion on angles of the dangles abound. interesting how most of the pro riders are relatively short but there are of course some big exceptions. sir bradley take a bow. thinking advantage little guys on hills advantage bigger guys on flats and rollers. easier to generate power with longer lever limbs.

platform shoes anyone. :)

jon 6 ft 1 and a bit. and getting shorter by the day.

venrider guy there are a few photos of larrys v2.0 on the site. eg spring ride show us your bike.

DuncanWatson

No worries, I am 5'7" myself with a 40.5" x-seam. Those pictures are excellent and show where the BB moves to when setup for a smaller rider. Thank you.

You can see the advantage in those shots. Maria's crank would have hard interference with the wheel if it was set up like that on a fixed BB platform. The MBB allows the crank to be closer to the wheel and seat. Very cool.

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Larry Oz, any chance of seeing a close up photo of your V from the side, the one in the photo posted by BentAero? Thanks.
I'll try and find something to post!

5'1" haha - good try there BentAero! Sometimes I feel that short. but - image the weight savings!! :)
Yes - I am still relatively short for a guy at 5'7" (that's in my flip-flop's) - but it's just less mass to carry around the road - so it works well for me.
I was probably maxing out the lower adjust-ability of the earlier "med" V2.'s, but there is a wider range on the newer V20 setup with the boom/slider setup.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Actually 5'6". Ex-seam 41.5" which means short torso, thus my concern with the headrest etc.
Without ever having been on a V, I'm still optimistic I can figure out a way to make it fit ok. :)

Isn't Eric Winn about 5'6"? Any other short folks on a V?

'Short people got no reason to live...." --Randy Newman

DuncanWatson

I think you will be able to make it work. The issue that may arise is your view of the road through the cockpit. If you can sit on a V, even one sized incorrectly you can find out how your road view would look. That might be good. I was able to sit on Lief's Vendetta and Silvio which made me confident I can make it work and learn to ride it.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I am short 5'6" but my legs are even shorter. I have an x seam of 39. I wouldn't be surprised if someone 5'1" had an x seam my size , surely a larger 5'4" person will match my stride. The Cruzbikes will fit me. This is why after years of trying everything, stick bikes etc I ended up with the Cruz Moose. It allows me to ride 700 wheels. Nothing else would do it. Another thing to remember, I just figured out is small crank lengths (140, etc) provide you an additional way to make the crank/ legs fit besides just sliding the boom. Once you understand the entire fitting dynamic the little guy can dial it in perfect. I chased the perfect fit for years, Wish I had understood this years ago it would have been a whole lot easier.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Actually 5'6". Ex-seam 41.5" which means short torso, thus my concern with the headrest etc.
I have no doubt you will fit the V20. If the headrest is too high, you can cut out a section of it and reduce the height. They had to do that for Maria. Not a big issue.
I say go for it!

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I have no doubt you will fit the V20. If the headrest is too high, you can cut out a section of it and reduce the height. They had to do that for Maria. Not a big issue.
I say go for it!

Thanks for the words of encouragement Gary, Duncan, jond, trplay, and Larry. I wondered why Maria's headrest appeared shorter in some pics! Thought maybe it was an earlier model. Or something. Makes sense that it was cut. (Larry and Gary I know you two have met Maria...care to venture a height estimate for her?)
Trying to remember who had a post talking about cutting it. The ideal thing (if cutting is necessary) would be to find some tubing with an OD just shy of the ID of the headrest tubing and bridge the cuts with it, maybe with a touch of Liquid Weld.
Between that option and some version of Rick's use of the ADEM headrest I'm convinced it will work out. Who knows, the stock headrest may be just fine! Along with some 145mm cranks.
As far as going for it, I pre-ordered the new Core Edition V20 last week. Exciting stuff!

Thanks again,
Kline Milner
Bag End, Underhill
Hobbiton, MS

BentAero

Larry and Gary I know you two have met Maria...care to venture a height estimate for her?

Hmmm, I'd guess 5'5" to 5'7", somewhere in there. I'll be with her and Jim (a lot) this weekend, so I'll try to remember and ask her height and X-seam, and if they make any fitment changes to her bikes.

Trying to remember who had a post talking about cutting it.

It was Doug, post #8 http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/my-neck-rest-is-better-than-yours.8751/

jond

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for the words of encouragement Gary, Duncan, jond, trplay, and Larry. I wondered why Maria's headrest appeared shorter in some pics! Thought maybe it was an earlier model. Or something. Makes sense that it was cut. (Larry and Gary I know you two have met Maria...care to venture a height estimate for her?)
Trying to remember who had a post talking about cutting it. The ideal thing (if cutting is necessary) would be to find some tubing with an OD just shy of the ID of the headrest tubing and bridge the cuts with it, maybe with a touch of Liquid Weld.
Between that option and some version of Rick's use of the ADEM headrest I'm convinced it will work out. Who knows, the stock headrest may be just fine! Along with some 145mm cranks.
As far as going for it, I pre-ordered the new Core Edition V20 last week. Exciting stuff!

Thanks again,
Kline Milner
Bag End, Underhill
Hobbiton, MS

pre-ordered the new hard core edition v 20....... oh i am jealous. i am sending over the orks. :)

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
pre-ordered the new hard core edition v 20....... oh i am jealous. i am sending over the orks. :)

I'm alerting Gandalf! And the dwarves! Plus these two fierce creatures (office recently ransacked by grandson--orcs can't be much worseo_Oo_Oo_O):
image.jpg