thoughts from a smaller rider

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Actually 5'6". Ex-seam 41.5" which means short torso, thus my concern with the headrest etc.
Without ever having been on a V, I'm still optimistic I can figure out a way to make it fit ok. :)

Isn't Eric Winn about 5'6"? Any other short folks on a V?

'Short people got no reason to live...." --Randy Newman

Yup, and I shortened the headrest tubes and lopped a bit off the top of the seat back to get the headrest a bit lower and more forward.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
I'm about 5'5". I'm a little bit taller than Maria, but she has a very long x-seam; 41"+ as I remember. I have a 39" x-seam and I seem to ride all the bikes okay. The Silvio 1.0 variant required a heap of doin' to get it to fit me, but the later designs took all that work into account and don't need to be modified.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Oh boy, let's do some Pillow Talk! I've finally nailed it (I hope). I no longer use the sock over frame style cushion. Instead I use velcro wraps and attach them to the frame. This allows for easier attachment of other straps, bags,lights, etc to the frame. The frame itself has been cut and lowered on the vertical plane by about 2.5 inches. The challenge has been to make the my neck/head pain go away. I always envy those who find the stock head rest comfortable as it is. I can do rides under 100K without discomfort but after that the hurt monster is sure to show up. My most recent solution (last 2000 miles) is the (Moose Pillow) shown below. This simple accessory is wrapped around the headrest and is movable on the fly. I believe the solution for me is to be able to move the pressure point, not to make that spot softer. The first hint of discomfort and I simply reach back and slide the Moose Pillow to another spot. This provides an immediate fix. Now I need to spruce up the aesthetics and I think I have a winner, winner, chicken dinner!
photo-31.jpg

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hey... how much are the moose pillows? (winner, winner, tofu dinner sounds good to me :p)

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Moose Pillows are made exclusively for Team Moose riders at the Moose Works R&D facility. They aren't sold to the public but we are happy to share all the details so others can copy them. In many cases people are able to expand and make an even better product. I recommend you try a pillow concept first to see if it will help you. To do this simply take a bandanna which matches your kit and wrap a soft cushion slightly smaller than your fist inside it. Then wrap the bandanna around your head rest and tie a knot. Make sure it will slide up and down the headrest without coming too loose. If it works you will be on your way and you will probably have several ideas which will work as well as mine. Try it and let us all know how it goes.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Oh boy, let's do some Pillow Talk! I've finally nailed it (I hope). I no longer use the sock over frame style cushion. Instead I use velcro wraps and attach them to the frame. This allows for easier attachment of other straps, bags,lights, etc to the frame. The frame itself has been cut and lowered on the vertical plane by about 2.5 inches. The challenge has been to make the my neck/head pain go away. I always envy those who find the stock head rest comfortable as it is. I can do rides under 100K without discomfort but after that the hurt monster is sure to show up. My most recent solution (last 2000 miles) is the (Moose Pillow) shown below. This simple accessory is wrapped around the headrest and is movable on the fly. I believe the solution for me is to be able to move the pressure point, not to make that spot softer. The first hint of discomfort and I simply reach back and slide the Moose Pillow to another spot. This provides an immediate fix. Now I need to spruce up the aesthetics and I think I have a winner, winner, chicken dinner!
photo-31.jpg

Ooooh, I like it! This I'm gonna try!

DuncanWatson

Hmm, I am considering doing the moose pillows and combine that with a solution for an Aero Bag/Brain Bag attachment. The thought is to take a piece of Plexiglass or similar light but strong enough material to fill the rectangle needed for my bag of choice. Attach said rectangle to the bare headrest stalk with 4 of those bar wrap/screw setups so popular with bicycle mounting gear. I will dig a picture out soon from my stash. Slip bag over the faux seatframe. Use the moose pillow idea to attach to the bare headrest stalk above the bag, draping the headrest down. Sew velcro into outer side of your aero bag, match that with the moose pillow lower section.

This is of course conceptual, I need to get my bike back to work out the issues. I really would like an Aero bag or similar to be my Brevet bag/Light Commute bag.