Tips needed on getting more aero with an under seat frame fairing

KiwiGuy

My Vendetta is significantly faster than the high-racer it replaced. On flat land, I can now drop just about any df rider I want no matter how strong they are (apart from very strong racing cyclists who I have to content myself with riding alongside). Consequently, riding the Vendetta has become addictive. And, of course, I want to go faster.

To that effect, I'm after some advise on fairing the frame under the seat pan. The wind tunnel testing conducted by Cruzbike showed the under seat 'Moosepack' provides some aero benefit. I notice that Jim took this further on his Sebring winning Vendetta by fairing the entire under seat frame area.

Does anyone know what material/product Jim used for this? Plastic corflute or similar? Further, I'm assuming the under-side is faired as well as the sides. Anyone know?

Additionally, does anyone know if Cruzbike intends to make an official version of this under seat frame fairing; maybe with the Cruzbike logo on the side? Ratz, if you have any idea please advise.

Kind regards... Blair

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
We all used ColorPlast which is basically Plastic Cardboard. For me I just got a "blank" yard sign from the local hardware store; the kind you use to hand write a yard sale sign. That's the cheapest way in the U.S. to by small quantities of the stuff. It's also super easy to spray paint any color it takes paint really well and dries fast with out cranking.

If you do it be-sure to close the back part that faces the wheel as well so you don't get vortices in the cavity.

I attached ours with packing tape and it was easy to remove for future re-use after the race.

For a short TT sub 2 hour race I'd probably install them again; for a long form race I'd probably just run the soon to be available Moose Pack, which would give the aero; plus a place for food or tools.

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I've refined the idea several times over the past two years but the concept is still the same. You get more storage and more aerodynamics so it's a win win. Since then I've added the complete fairings extended all the way to the rear axel like you seen at Sebring on many of the Vendetta's. I believe I was the first to extend the fairing which is where everyone else got the idea. I know I posted about it somewhere but I don't think it got its own thread so I can't find it. It was probably in the what did you do to your CruzBike thread.

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/hard-case-storage-box-under-the-seat.10949/

McWheels

Off the long run
How about this as an example?

https://flic.kr/p/SEwu2C
SEwu2C

KiwiGuy

Thanks for the quick reply Bob and Justin (and for taking the time to post the link).

I'm after something I can set and forget - and run permanently. From what I've seen of Justin's great little under seat cardboard box, and Bob's comments, I'm thinking that waiting for the Moose Pack might be the best option.

Set-up I'm thinking of now is the Moose Pack, carbon fibre Race Case and Dyma carbon fibre wheel covers (unfortunately Catalyst appear to have gone out of business). I also need a new aero helmet. No doubt helmets were tested by Cruzbike during the recent wind-tunnel testing, but Jim rightly appears to be keeping that information close to his chest at the moment (probably the first helmet wind-tunnel testing on a recumbent ever). So I'll have to wait until photographs start circulating from RAAM to find out the way to go.

Bob, any idea on how soon 'soon to be available' is likely to be for the Moose Pack availability.

Kind regards... Blair

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Thanks for the quick reply Bob and Justin (and for taking the time to post the link).

I'm after something I can set and forget - and run permanently. From what I've seen of Justin's great little under seat cardboard box, and Bob's comments, I'm thinking that waiting for the Moose Pack might be the best option.

Set-up I'm thinking of now is the Moose Pack, carbon fibre Race Case and Dyma carbon fibre wheel covers (unfortunately Catalyst appear to have gone out of business). I also need a new aero helmet. No doubt helmets were tested by Cruzbike during the recent wind-tunnel testing, but Jim rightly appears to be keeping that information close to his chest at the moment (probably the first helmet wind-tunnel testing on a recumbent ever). So I'll have to wait until photographs start circulating from RAAM to find out the way to go.

Bob, any idea on how soon 'soon to be available' is likely to be for the Moose Pack availability.

Kind regards... Blair

Correct catalyst doesn't answer to inquires anymore

Mooses be crossing a big body of water on squirrel

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy

Kind regards... Blair

As someone who has made his own carbon wheel covers I wouldn't expect a perfect fit on every wheel. The dishing is surprisingly critical to get that perfect fit without waviness. All this becomes twice as critical if you choose to run covers on a wheel with disc brakes. If you mechanically inclined I highly recommend making your own covers because if done right you'll end up with a better product. Those Dyma covers are 140 grams a side where as mine came in at only 90 grams per side. The difference in weight is mostly just carbon thickness which would mean mine are going to be more fragile. One that note even though my covers are literally paper thin they had stayed on my wheel for over 3000 miles are are still in perfect condition.

KiwiGuy

As someone who has made his own carbon wheel covers I wouldn't expect a perfect fit on every wheel. The dishing is surprisingly critical to get that perfect fit without waviness. All this becomes twice as critical if you choose to run covers on a wheel with disc brakes.

My wheels do use disc brakes (hydraulic road disc is excellent as you know). Unfortunately I have very low mechanical inclination, but my son is Shimano trained and is great mechanically so I'll have a chat to him about that. Thanks for the tip.

Vulcanelli

I sure don't have the nerve to try this but but this video does illustrate how rider position affects wind resistance. He is passing other riders not even peddling!

I cant seem to get the forum link function to work so if you go to YouTube and search for
Ciclista trova una tecnica per andare più veloce di tutti! Che proiettile! it should show the video.

upload_2017-4-19_8-52-8.png

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
My wheels do use disc brakes (hydraulic road disc is excellent as you know). Unfortunately I have very low mechanical inclination, but my son is Shimano trained and is great mechanically so I'll have a chat to him about that. Thanks for the tip.

I looked further at those covers and how they are attached and they are basically offering what I made but they are only halfway finished. It's not a bad idea as it gives the use the chance to adjust the fit to their wheel during install. The difference is you end up with that overlapped seam which is slightly hokey in my opinion but still effective. I could find any way to select the covers and add them to the cart so I could see the price. Any idea how much the carbon covers are?

KiwiGuy

The difference is you end up with that overlapped seam which is slightly hokey in my opinion but still effective. Any idea how much the carbon covers are?

I agree re the overlapped seam - slight hokey but likely to be effective in providing the best fit. Cost of the Dyma CL is AU$198.00 for the covers + AU$26.30 for international shipping.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I saw the Vulcanelli video. Blimey!

You can get a bicycle that is designed to be ridden that way. It is RWD and has its BB above the back wheel. They are called belly bikes.

He would go even faster if he had fairings on his feet.

I bet the UCI disallowed it.

CruzLike

Guru
The video was a little fishy.
Why did his pedals continue to turn after he unclipped?
Why did the lead scooter let the bike pass then assume the aero position?

I feel like I just watched a commercial. For what I'm not sure.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
The video was a little fishy.
Why did his pedals continue to turn after he unclipped?
Why did the lead scooter let the bike pass then assume the aero position?

I feel like I just watched a commercial. For what I'm not sure.

Pedals keep turning because he's even more of a badass then you think. his pedals keep turning because he's riding a fixed gear bike. Some of the videos continue on long enough to show him clip back in at full speed which for me was the most impressive part of the whole stunt.

Scooter gets aero because he's riding a scooter and thus automatically a dork, trust me I own a Yamaha Zuma.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
You can see the derailleur cages on the other bikes, and the absence of one on his. At the end, when he wants to clip in, I think he is going too fast so he puts his feet on the back wheel to brake.