Titanium Bike frame for $250 AU

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Heck.... It's a game changer. Twenty minutes to 3D print a bike!

Next I bet they will be printing cheap houses using the same process.

If they want to grow fast then think franchise.

Awesome news. Perhaps carbon might be "on yer bike".

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Holy crap. If this is half what they say it is, it will revolutionize the metal manufacturing sector completely. They're not only printing with Titanium, but virtually any other metals. If it pans out, the metal removal industry (machine-shop) will go the way of the hand loom. Luddites unite!

Additive technology has been kind of the red-headed-stepchild of the manufacturing world, it is a wonderful thing in certain types of materials...almost all 'non structural'. If this Titomic process can indeed produce structurally homogenous metal...:eek: In a very short time, yer gonna have the future in your lap. Printed bikes? He mentions printed SUBMARINES. :confused:

The military is gonna love this.

DavidCH

Wow.... a house built in 24 hours.... and a bike in 20 minutes... I want a 3D aeroplane next so I can fly my Vendetta around. :rolleyes:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I spoke to Titomatic today and they will have a bicycle production line set up in Feb 2018 for mass production of one million bikes per year.
They are talking to Cervelo for 750K bike frames, and Brompton folding bikes for 50K rear swing arms.
There is a $20K to $50K programing cost for the Robot arm programing and verification, so he said 500 bike frames would be the minimum at this stage, but after the bike line is set, that cost could come down with more programing experience!

The core is 3d printed aluminium with the attached parts, which is melted away when the frame is heat treated at 800 C to improve toughness as the sprayed titanium is 34% stronger, but also more brittle which is NOT good for a bike.

Would Cruzbike be interested in contacting them direct?

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
I spoke to Titomatic today and they will have a bicycle production line set up in Feb 2018 for mass production of one million bikes per year.
They are talking to Cervelo for 750K bike frames, and Brompton folding bikes for 50K rear swing arms.
There is a $20K to $50K programing cost for the Robot arm programing and verification, so he said 500 bike frames would be the minimum at this stage, but after the bike line is set, that cost could come down with more programing experience!

The core is 3d printed aluminium with the attached parts, which is melted away when the frame is heat treated at 800 C to improve toughness as the sprayed titanium is 34% stronger, but also more brittle which is NOT good for a bike.

Would Cruzbike be interested in contacting them direct?

This sounds freakin' Aussome -- So many good things come out of Australia, John Tolhurst, AFL, Titomic, Super Slim, the list goes on.

DavidCH

Well if it takes 20 minutes to produce a S40 then perhaps $500 aud. (Can't see that happening somehow). Or perhaps I can ... just think of the profit margin pro rata. $$$$

It would have to be a win win. And the process will be done in Australia from where the cruzbike story started. :D:cool::rolleyes:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master

Interesting! The programming costs are probably based on pre-existing models (as in, 'send us your frame and we'll convert it to Ti'). I would hope one would not simply re-create the current V20 frame in Ti. It should be designed for the material it is being made, er, printed from. Such re-design wouldn't be cheap (if done properly. Stress analysis, etc.). I just don't see a small company like Cruzbike investing in that kind of stuff. Getting a positive ROI from cutting edge tech requires volume sales that are just not there for recumbents...yet.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Interesting! The programming costs are probably based on pre-existing models (as in, 'send us your frame and we'll convert it to Ti'). I would hope one would not simply re-create the current V20 frame in Ti. It should be designed for the material it is being made, er, printed from. Such re-design wouldn't be cheap (if done properly. Stress analysis, etc.). I just don't see a small company like Cruzbike investing in that kind of stuff. Getting a positive ROI from cutting edge tech requires volume sales that are just not there for recumbents...yet.

They would require a 3D cad drawing, where the stress analysis had already be done, and optimised as the wall thick can vary in thickness in any direction, and shape in any direction to maximise the strength and flexibility in any part of the frame!

After some test frames had been created, then dimensional and wall thickness checks would be done, and if required deflection checks under fixed loads!

DavidCH

Hey.... I read an article about how a Microsoft konetic was used to replicate a 3D t-rex head. Perhaps it can be used on a Silvio too.

Bombing down a mountain doing the Jason jumps at 45mph on curve apex has to produce quite a lot of tension on the forks. Not sure how Ti works with this as its pretty brittle.

You can get Ti brake cables. Anyone try to trim one of those? They 're impossible.

Needs quite a lot of testing. It's not just a case of putting a finger in the air.

Guess you could buy a Ti bike that's already on sale and then just use that as a tension spec?

CruzLike

Guru
There is a $20K to $50K programming cost for the Robot arm programming and verification
I may not know all that is involved with programming their robot. I see people in there own garage take a CAD file and spit out a 3d object on there 3D router. 20 to 50k seems pretty high. Maybe it's the cost of early technology. You always pay through the nose.