To donor or not to donor....that is the question?

BobD

0.jpeg width: 222px; height: 166px;

I just ordered the conversion kit and frame. However, after looking at my wife's hybrid I am wondering whether it is an option to just use the conversion kit?

My impression from reading the archives and taking a look at many amazing conversions by folks, that this is not a good choice as the frame doesn't provide adequate support for the bottom of the seat.

What do you think?
Many thanks,
Bob

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Bob,
To me it looks like

Hi Bob,

To me it looks like there is a place for the seat, but I don't know how well it will work. I'd recommend just trying to put the seat on before taking anything off the bike. If the seat goes on, it's worth going forward. If not, then you know.

This won't look like a typical conversion and may feel more like a low rider, but those aren't necessarily bad things.

Cheers,
Charles

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I expressed interest a very

I expressed interest a very similar frame and it was explained to me why that styple does not make a good conversion candidate. But I'm with Charles; I'd have to at least try it to see why or why it wouldn't work for myself. It wouldn't take you more than a half-hour or so to fit the seat properly. so why not try it?

BobD

Hmmmm.....

I also like the idea of trying it out to check the fit.
However, I probably didn't ask the correct question.

I am actually more concerned about whether this frame actually would provide enough support for the Cruzbike seat. When I look at many of the other conversions, there appears to be more support below the seat. This frame would provide support at the seat post.....and also one other point on the downtube. My recall is that there is more structural support on the recommended bikes.

Cannot wait for this stuff to arrive!
Bob

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Bob,
If you can get the

Hi Bob,

If you can get the seat seated firmly on the small horizontal bar, then I think everything will work out. I can't tell from the picture, but that bar doesn't look too wimpy to me and should be plenty but IANAE (I am not an engineer).

You won't get a lot of choice when it comes to seat angle, but from the picture to me, it looks like it's all possible.

We'll want pictures (whether it works or not), so make sure you have your cell phone/camera ready when you start playing.

Cheers,

Charles

Jake

It looks likely that the seat

It looks likely that the seat will fit in the frame, but will be very low down (can be a good thing), whilst the handlebars will be very high and your view of the road may be impeded by the headtube/ stem / bars.

The conversion kit seems quite flexable though so you may come up with a workable solution.

Jake

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
@Jake: I can imagine not

@Jake: I can imagine not using the full stem that comes with the conversion, but maybe the default stem. If the rider is short enough, there may be visual problems because of the low seat height...

Hilry

Fitting the seat

And with the seat that low, the feet will be up in the air.

It might be possible to install a bar between the seat tube and the down tube above the small cross tube somehow to install the seat on.

BobD

Appreciate the continued feedback!

Although I will see "how it fits" on the frame, I suspect the VK/2 frame is the way to go....for many reasons.....weight, compatibility, center of gravity, stability.....all impacting overall handling. Also will like the looks more than this particular frame.

Thanks Jake and Hilry for the additional feedback.
Bob