Too much room when installing freewheel in rear dropouts

ocd

I asked this question in a different thread but it probably got buried.

I have a question on step #23 of the assembly instructions: after cleaning and re-greasing the bearings I installed the long axle. Everything looks OK, but when I go to install the freewheel into the rear dropouts I have too much room: the space between the dropouts is 135 mm; the space between the two nuts (in the axle I have nut/spacer/cone/wheel/cone/spacer/nut) is 125mm. I am 10 mm short. I can make the difference with washers, but I am wondering if I have done something wrong.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
ocd

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Washers are fine...

Hi ocd,

We run into this sometimes. Use 3/8 inch washers, the ones at the hardware store are usually about a millimeter thick; you can also usually find spacers with 3/8 inch holes that are 2.5mm thick.

Cheers,

Doug

ocd

This is what I have.

John,

I have everything that shows in Part Groups B (front to rear axle) in page 2 of the assembly instructions. The picture shows one half of the axle, the other half is symmetric.

Thanks,
ocd

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
looks like you

looks like you have
cone
spacer
lock nut
washers

when sometimes I see
cone
locknut
spacer
locknut

if you can get a couple more locknuts, its better than the washers, which float around annoyingly whenever you try to install the wheel.

ocd

I'll look for the locknuts. 

I'll look for the locknuts. (The package had only two and the picture in the assembly instructions shows only two, though.)

Thanks!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Just switching

Just switching to

cone
spacer
washers
lock nut

Should be an immediate improvement for installing the wheel.