Took The Plunge (figureatively)

KneeDrachen

I am looking forward to Friday evening for assembly. Saturday *should* be nice, Sunday is windy with a chance of snow (!!!!!!) so we shall see how it goes.

Are a cheap set of platforms the way to go with learning? I will not put my clipless pedals on until I am VERY comfortable and confident with the MBB on the road for some time before going clipless.

AlexisBV

I put on the hybrid A530 pedals (black, of course) from Shimano on my S30, very nice for learning as you can use both regular shoes and biking shoes.

KneeDrachen

Oh such a tease. Got an automated email this AM that my delivery had been updated to today! Yes! 23 minutes later, updated back to tomorrow. Bah.

KneeDrachen

Well, the S30 arrived yesterday and the designer of the crate that the bike is shipped in deserves a Nobel Prize. FedEx was pretty rough with the crate (I was convinced there would be damage) but the bike was completely unscathed. Assembly took about a half hour with me taking my time, watching the video, rewinding etc. I miscalculated my Xseam so the pedals were a bit too far for me. I brought them in to "6" on the boom and that is as far as it would go. This is not a bike for a errr....corpulent person, the space is relatively tight between the seat and bars. The cables just sit above my midsection (a work in progress).

Maiden voyage was today. I followed the videos (paddle, coast, legs out, pedal etc). I went to a local church a block away with a nice, gently graded parking lot. I'd never been there before and I noticed a LOT of cameras all over the property but no cars were there. I pulled in, unloaded the bike and started my paddling/coasting. I noticed the cameras were following my movement (the kind in the sphere suspended on poles). Well, after being there 6 or 7 minutes, the cavalry pulls in wanting to know what I'm doing etc. Once they realized I was only attempting to ride a bike and not desecrate their property they left me alone and went inside....While the cameras continued to follow me.

The hardest part for me honestly, was first getting my feet on the pedals. I tend to want to stick my knees out to the side as I pick my feet up to go on the pedals (right was worse than left). This forces me to have to focus on lifting my knees straight up. I was able to pedal in a semi-straight line, but turns are something else. I only had about 45 minutes today to practice before family obligations kicked in. I need to dial in the neck rest position and I REALLY need to work on my core and hip muscles.

Lessons learned:

That church has someone remotely monitoring the camera system
People have a hard time believing an adult is learning to ride a bicycle on a bright, sunny Saturday morning...regardless of design.
The MBB design requires a lot more finesse in the rider's inputs than a DF does, souplesse, if you will.
The videos CB puts out are an excellent resource not only for assembly, but learning to ride.
A QX100 might be an easier bike to learn on.
I need to lose weight
I need to figure out how to get the cranks a little bit closer to me, but at "6" there is no more room inside the slider.
Stronger core muscles and hip muscles will help with learning to ride.
I need to lose weight.
There is more of a learning curve than I anticipated but watching the videos and a large degree of humility kept me dropping the bike.

At one point when I had some semblance of control (and "control" is used loosely, meaning I didn't crash and was able to head in the general direction I had in my head) I heard myself chuckle out loud and say "This is FUN!".

Rain and snow tomorrow so I wanted to put the S30 on my trainer, but no dice. The trainer (Travel Trac Comp Fluid) uses a skewer designed to fit on the trainer's "pins". It is waaaaaaaaay too small to fit through the front end of the S30 and the CB skewers do not fit in the "pins" of the trainer. Suggestions?

Anyway it is going to be a fun learning experience, I just hope the weather holds out for safety's sake (I have no problem getting wet) and I can figure out this trainer fit issue.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I need to figure out how to get the cranks a little bit closer to me, but at "6" there is no more room inside the slider.

Shorter people will need to cut an inch or 2 from the slider (the part that slides Inside the tube) this is normal. See my build diary on brol if in doubt. (link in signature)

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I agree with ratz. What he said is theory, and I experimentally verified it. I ride on my insteps, which gives me a short effective inseam. I have my Grasshopper telescoped right in, so I decided to cut the Silvio slider. Unmistakeable immediate improvement. I do not regret it.

I also like my 145 cranks. Getting short cranks is like pulling the B bracket back.

If you are a commuter then truncating your bike makes it easier to wiggle through the wiggly places.

McWheels

Off the long run
Good stuff. Just keep getting out there. All those micro-corrections you make without thinking on a DF will come to you, but it took me at least 60 miles on and off. It will come.

KneeDrachen

Gotcha. For now I am going to shop around. I think riding flats I am okay, but once I mkve to clipless, it may be too mich extension. I would rather go with short cranks before cutting anything.

AlexisBV

I went to a local church a block away (...) I noticed a LOT of cameras all over the property (...) I noticed the cameras were following my movement (etc.)

On a church parking lot? That's depressing. Or suspicious. Maybe a new SDI laser-mirror facility like in "Spies like us"? Did you see any drive-in screens nearby? :cool:

KneeDrachen

Went out for my second time, same church (no Inquisition this time but those cameras had a field day as I was doing figure 8s). I was able to take off after a few Flintstone steps and didn't have a problem. I've realized a few things. I tend to sit myself up while riding and it makes the bike feel like it has a hinge in front of the rear wheel. Putting my back down in the seat and relaxing absolutely helps stabilize the bike. I'm starting to work on my turns and realize I need to work on leg positioning. It seems of I turn my bars to the right and have my right leg extended I am fighting my leg to turn. If I turn right and have my right leg drawn closest to me, my thigh hits the handlebars due to my own lack of experience. So far it seems I keep the pedals and 12 and 6 (or 3 and 9 on a DF) and the foot I have up higher for the direction I want to turn helps. I absolutely need to relax more, I have a white knuckle grip on the bars and my shoulders and biceps are incredibly tense. The S30 requires a much more relaxed and fluid technique than I thought. Roadies love to romanticize about pedaling in fluid circles with a still upper body. The same can be said for this as well! My wife was curious how it was going so I got to show off a bit. I'm very happy, just wish I had more time to practice so that I can venture in to the Big Wide World.

Last edited:

AlexisBV

Just keep on practicing, took me a few weeks to get confortable and "natural". My first big ride (147km) was only 2 weeks in, and I noticed a definite improvement between the beginning and the end of the ride! I'm still not quite as proficient at micro-precision maneuvers as on my DF, but I'm getting there. Though now it's all snowy here so further practice for me will have to wait at least another 4 months :(

KneeDrachen

Okay, I am going to keep plugging along. The whole post-stroke life is filled with frustrations with hand-eye coordination and balance. Maybe I filled with panic, maybe jus frustration. I knew it wouldn't be easy and I know the payoff is there, it is a matter of getting there.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Yep... And then you play around with different handlebar configurations and it again feels a whole lot different too.

I always respect the bike and give it a pre-check before riding. The other day I had slicks on and it was impossible to avoid a buddle on a corner so even going into it very gingerly I could feel the back slipping.

Good to have front wheel drive on occasions like that.