Tour de Moore Century (Moore County, NC)

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Great group picture - Jim, if you don't stop loosing weight, your gonna have to order from XXX-small jerseys!

Tigerpaw

This is one of my favorite rides (not a race) every year, sponsored by the Sandhills Cycling Club; 350 riders doing 102 miles with about 5200 ft of climbing along a loop course that covers some of the most beautiful parts of the "sandhills" of North Carolina.

View attachment 1072
It ends with a live band, great food, and cold beverages. It's always on Labor Day. My goal this year was to do it under 5 hours, which some years I can do, and some I can't.

After the Hoodoo 500 which ended exactly one week earlier, Ben Tomblin flew home to Florida and Maria drove all his gear back to our house in NC. Since Ben had to come pick his gear up anyway, he wanted to ride the Tour de Moore with me even though I wanted to do it fast and he was fresh off a grueling 520 mile race. Maria decided at the last minute that she would do it, too, even though she was sore not just from the Hoodoo, but from running stairs at our local high school stadium in preparation for her Grand Canyon rim-to-rim run coming up next month (a charity run for brain cancer research).

At about 7:30 AM, the ride started and Ben and I quickly moved well beyond the "A" group. We had about 5 miles of mostly a gentle downhill before the climbing started and we wanted to build a cushion. While not officially a race, a lot of the cyclists are very competitive and try to do the course as fast as possible. As I rounded a left-turn at about mile 6, my front tire hit a rock or something and I heard a loud "bang" and had to quickly unclip and pull over. Ben offered to stop but I waved him on. As I began my inspection and repairs, the A, B, and C groups passed, with Maria near the back... taking her time.

Haley Beann, a cyclocross superstar, was driving a support vehicle for the lead pack and a local bike shop. Here's what she looks like on a bike:
View attachment 1069
She stopped to help me out and we noticed that I had more than just a flat tire. I had a big sidewall gash in the tire. Unable to fix it, she offered to let me ride the rest of the way with her if I helped supply water and aid to the peleton. Deal!

A few minutes later, we pull up next to Maria as she pedaled down the road and I had to quickly explain why I was riding in a car with a beautiful young woman, rather than trying to catch up on my bike. "Do you want some water, Honey?"

Haley and I stayed very busy for the next four hours, collecting empty bottles, refilling them, and handing them back out. We saw a multi-bike crash at about mile 35 and we helped a scuffed-up guy get his bike going again. His front wheel was badly warped, so I loaned him my non-drive wheel since I didn't need it. He was thus able to finish the 102 miles. It took us a lot longer to catch up with Ben because we stayed near the lead peleton and it took THEM 60 miles to finally reel Ben in. Then he stayed with them until the end, finishing in a very solid 4:40.

Maria, never ceasing to amaze me, finished in 4:59. She rode almost the entire race by herself, at her own pace, and still came in under 5-hours. Here's Maria's Garmin summary of her ride:
View attachment 1071

Maria also finally got to use the new double bottle cage with the utility pole that mounts solidly on the
headrest struts. It worked great.
View attachment 1068

Next year, I'd like to invite all Cruzbike riders, and all recumbent riders, to come enjoy the fun of the Tour de Moore on Labor Day. We'll give away door prizes and some bling for everyone who comes and rides. More details later, but if you are an advance-planner, reserve Monday, September 5th, 2016 for a great century ride. There are also shorter route options for those not ready for 102 miles. The cost to register this year was $30, and I expect will be about the same next year.

Jim

When are the utility poles going to be ready?

I just signed up. Rates go up after today. At the Mid Atlantic yesterday, Maria told me she was going. I'm going to assume that means Jim is going, but don't know.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I wish it was closer. They have the "tour deApple" here where I live. I might just stay here and do that. Good friend Andrew Thompson will also be riding a Cruzbike in it. We usually travel, but staying here this week.