Touring Germany on my Q

ThomasW

Having installed my new commuter rack, I decided to take my Q on a cycling tour. I had two weeks of holiday. This was enough to visit some very nice places.
The Q did its job really well. Much to my pleasure, the Ortlieb recumbent bags fit almost perfectly. In retrospect, there were only two disadvantages to the Q: I should have fitted a smaller chain ring, and for the rear wheel I should have looked for a longer mudguard.

You can take a look at my GPS track on a Google map. On 4. September I took the train south, and the way back I rode the bike. Presently, the fugitives are cramming the trains going north, so it was an easy decision to take the train for the southward part of my trip.

During the first few days, there were some rather steep ascends in the bavarian alps to be mastered. This made me ride short day trips of about 55 km. It was a joyride and not a race, anyway. On my second day it was raining all day long and temperatures did not exceed 8°C. After that day the weather improved and the hills were more moderate. Later on, in the north, I could easily ride metric centuries. I will upload some of my photos to a flickr album. Unfortunately, there is no way to show the fun I had riding throug the lovely landscape and visiting those beautiful old towns.

... and the best thing: I lost two kilograms of weight. This is quite a surprise, since it was the season for fresh plum cake and I took the chance to do a longitudinal analysis of the regional recipes. In most regions, plum cake goes with whipped cream (in case you wanted to know).

Now I am planning for my next holiday. Q will be allowed to come with me.

Thomas

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Wonderful photos, Thomas. Thank you for sharing them with us. Having lived in Germany (Frankfurt-am-Main) as a child I have always wanted to go back. Beautiful country, lots of good memories.

VenRiderGuy

Thomas, I really enjoyed your telling of your vacation ride. Great photos and what beautiful scenery. Looking to lose some weight, I was squirming a bit as I read of the great food. Thanks for sharing.....

ThomasW

@ReklinedRider : it is never too late. One evening during that trip I met an Australian couple in a restaurant, Peter and Pru. They were aged 75 and had decided to tour Germany in a car for five weeks. We kept chatting till midnight. It was a great evening. They seemed to enjoy their tour, though Pru declared she would not visit another church or castle for at least half a year. Sounds like an overdose. :)

@VenRiderGuy : be glad I only wrote about cake and not about the other food. Dinners were great. When I ride my bike all day, there is no reason for counting calories. They will be burnt the next day anyway. This is one of the reasons why I love spending my holidays on the bike. It was a great tour in more than one aspect.

I still have a broad smile on my face when I think of that holiday.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Loved visiting the castles as a child. Also remember to this day climbing all the way to the top of Ulm Münster. I beat my dad to the top but I think he let me win :)

ThomasW

Thanks to all for your positive feedback. I still feel good when I think back to the trip. These recollections will have to carry me through the cold season.

The guys from the German forum asked for pictures of the rack without any luggage on it. :) I suppose that cruzbikers will not need these, but if you are interested please feel free to take a look.