Touring vs. racks vs. suspension

yangmusa

I'm getting more miles on the bike now - 40-50/week just from commuting, plus some longer weekend rides. Starting to feel pretty confident on the bike, and getting a feel for what works for me, what I want to change. I don't know what to do about rack and suspension - hoping your accumulated experience will have some good ideas!

Racks
I've tried the Axiom Flip-Flop DLX seatpost rack. I chose it because the platform can be moved back and forth - this allows me to place the panniers right behind the seat (instead of way out behind the rear axle, like the Topeak MTX). It seems sturdy and reasonably well made, but doesn't sit high enough - the rear tire keeps hitting the rack on bumps.

Any other racks I should try? I would prefer a seatpost rack so it comes off quickly. Failing that I may fit an unsuspended rack to the swingarm, though I'd prefer not to.

Suspension
Is it just me, or is the Sofrider suspension really... soft? I've set preload to the max already. It doesn't bottom out, but still hits my seatpost rack or Radical Aero bag. I'm not that heavy either, 90kg/200 lbs. I looked at getting a stiffer spring, but the existing spring is 850 lbs and readily available springs for mountain bikes appear to be 400-600 lbs. The suspension design looks similar, can it really be all that different? [On the plus side, the suspension is very comfortable and with the front wheel drive there's no perceptible pedal bob! I do notice the back of the bike squatting down when I accelerate, but that's just physic for you.. no escaping that]

Misc. solved problems
In order to go touring, I'll need lower gears. (It seems to me that most recumbent manufacturer supply their bikes with too high gearing. Two out of the three 'bents I had previously also had way too high gearing). I'll probably use a mountain double (39-24), as I should be able to get a range around 20"-80" with that. (Might also swap default cluster for an 11-34, which would increase the range from high teens to mid-80s). I just don't think I'll use the big ring enough to justify it, and the bike will shift better with a smaller biggest ring.

I bought a Ventisit pad and it's awesome. Close to mesh seat comfort! In fairness the standard seat pad is much cooler than I'd expected, better than the other hardshell seats I've had. Most people would probably be happy with the stock cushion, but I run hot and overheat easily.

thwaters

Have you been to Charles Plager's blog? Low gearing of 24 should be excellent, but he uses a triple. He has great charts and explanations. I am about to install a Sugino short crank (152mm) 24-36-50 on my Softrider V2 as part of an upgrade to a custom 9 speed cassette, and will see how that works (looks good on Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator -- we'll see how it performs in real life).

thwaters

I too had Softrider Racks.jpg Softrider with Arkel Bags.jpg a seat post-mounted older Axiom rack, and it was too "floppy", and had rear tire clearance problems when loaded. Still testing out a home-made underseat center rack using a reversed Tubus Logo rack. If clearance becomes a problem (200 lb. me plus 50-60 lbs of bags), I will install a solid bolt in place of the spring. I have installed a Jandd front-wheel rack on my back wheel. Still a little wobbly, not suspended -- will use for light loads. Will post results with touring loads this summer. Here's a link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=781675575222248&l=49efdb8ed8 and https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=781675991888873&l=af0630e420

Last edited:

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Have you been to Charles Plager's blog? Low gearing of 24 should be excellent, but he uses a triple. He has great charts and explanations. I am about to install a Sugino short crank (152mm) 24-36-50 on my Softrider V2 as part of an upgrade to a custom 9 speed cassette, and will see how that works (looks good on Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator -- we'll see how it performs in real life).

I've been to the blog and highly recommend it! :D

In the entry where I introduce my Cruzigami Mantis, I have the gearing that I have for my Sofrider. I have a 48/38/22 triple on there and highly recommend something similar, particularly for touring.

There are people who have very successfully upgraded their Sofrider rear suspension. Not a crazy idea at all, particularly if you are going to load it down for touring.

David Byrne rode his Sofrider around the world. He had both underseat racks and a rack behind. Here's a picture of him and his wife (on a Quest):
denver7.JPG