Trainer

RAR

Since I'm not riding I thought I would get a trainer to try to stay in shape while convolessing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I don't understant what You all like on Kickr. It is so loud. I would prefer Elite Turbo Muin or it Real version.
Most of use want a full on Erg trainer, and historically the quiet ones were really expensive. Haven't seen a review of the ETM in a while; did they finally get all the little kinks ironed out like building in a speed sensor?

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Most of use want a full on Erg trainer, and historically the quiet ones were really expensive. Haven't seen a review of the ETM in a while; did they finally get all the little kinks ironed out like building in a speed sensor?
You can buy Turbo Muin what has progresive resestance with own sensor or Turbo Muin Real what should work exactly like Kickr. I don't own any trainer only rollers. I don't like that my niegbours know when I am riding it. So silence is my priority for turbo.
I was complaining to DC Rainmaker that he ignores Eliter turbos. He answered that he is not ignoring it but there is not any review of Turbo Muin on his blog. So I think that he prefer to review American brands.

ratz

Some details here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/09/silent-trainer-output.html Most of the best stuff seems to be in the comments with seem to point out the problems, Private-Ant+, undocumented fluid resistance properties limiting the apps that can support it correctly. But it does looks like you can get the power curve from Trainers road. Looks like to get the most benefit you'd need to pair with a power meter on the cranks or pedals. But that's all 3 year old info some it's probably a lot better now as that's the way of things. If I recall you got a powertap hub, right? That opens up a lot of wheel based trainers to you to get power training, decent cost and quiet.... Not sure current prices but the TACX use to be a better by in Europe than in the US and it's suppose to be a lot quieter than other ERG trains.

ratz

What about Tacx Neo?
Good trainer; if quiet is king that's the one (example apartment dwellers that don't want to annoy the neighbors). The problem with it is there is no fly wheel; it use electric magnetics to generate resistance; so if you stop pedaling it stops almost instantly. That means it won't feel natural when you ride it because there is no spin down; once you adapt you'd be fine; but it will always be odd feeling when you do workouts with on off intervals. It's also really big and only shaped, word is that if you have to put it away daily it can be a bit of painful daily experience. I do have it listed as my #2 personal favorite with the Kickr #1 and the kicker snap #3. I haven't tried the new power-tap one; but I have it on the list to get access to one this winter it looks promising. We are building a sound shielded room because we have two kickr's that go simultaneously (that's TV time for Pluckyblond and me) If I had know we'd have two in a small room when this started I might have gone with the neo and that would have saved me the cost of sound proofing that room.

AlexisBV

Anyone else looking forward to the Tacx Flux? I haven't tried printing the cutout they have the website to see if it fits the S30, but it seems like a good compromise on cost vs. getting the Neo, while still staying fairly quiet. It does have a flywheel.

Waiting for it to hit the stores (and see some hands-on reviews other than DCRainmaker's) before I pull the trigger.

joy

I just got a Snap and it's pretty quiet. It is in a room with tile over cement and a carpet under the trainer and bike. I'm using ear buds and a fan too though.