Trainers?

VenRiderGuy

As a soon-to-be owner of a Vendetta (bike is still in transit) and also a current Sofrider owner, I'm wondering about trainers for helping to develop skills when the weather isn't cooperating.

So, trainers - No or Yes, and if Yes, any suggestions from experience on brands that work with Cruzbikes.

Thanks..........

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Pinching pennies, I saved up for my 1UP USA trainer, about four years ago.
Every so often, I make sure that the bolts are tight and the friction drum is adjusted.
It's quiet, it works with my Sofrider, it worked on a couple of DF bikes and it has never let me down.

It's living up to it's deserved reputation.
If it meets your needs and if you can afford it, I recommend it.

As for developing skills?
No.
It just helps you keep your shape in shape.
Only real world road miles will develop skills.

Hope this helps,

-Steve

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I use a Lemond g-force RT recumbent exercise bike. So I don't put wear and tear on my road bike in the winter. The Lemond exercise bike is very quiet also.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Wahoo Kickr Snap or Full on Wahoo Kickr top the lists.

But here's you main source of info:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/2014-winter-trainer-recommendations.html

Only a few new ones have come out over the year. The Snap and a few others. The golden rule is never by any trainers until after EUROBIKE and which is in a few weeks August 26-29. After that; there will be no new announcements of products. On rare occasion something will pop at INTERBIKE in september but that is usually just the State side rehash of EUROBIKE announcements.

For a Cruzbike I think the Kickr Snap is probably the best of everything since you don't have to remove the front wheel to mount it.

Dave Arnold

Yesterday I bought a Wahoo KICKR (not SNAP) from REI as I was able to get 20% off plus an additional 15% in dividends and rewards. Unfortunately, REI only has the 11-speed version. I'm assuming that all I need to do is replace the included 11-speed cassette with a 10-speed cassette and get a spacer. I have not opened the box yet and can return it if it is not the best option. I'm looking for advice from the experts.

Is there anything else I should be aware of trying to use a KICKR with my Vendetta? Which is better on the Vendetta KICKR or KICKR SNAP?

I live near Seattle (Skagit County) where it rains a lot during the fall and winter. I won't be using a trainer in the spring or summer unless I have a time scheduling issue.

Anybody have issues with the KICKR? Would the SNAP be better? What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Dave

hoyden

I've used Kreitler Rollers with 3.0 drums for the past 3 years. They give a good workout and I like having to steer the bike while riding. I've used them with a Birdy folding bike and a USS recumbent. This winter I will try them with Silvio. I use a separate floor fan for cooling.
http://www.kreitler.com/

hoyden

Initially I had some problems to stay on the rollers, because in the laid back position you can't see the rollers, which makes it difficult to stay centered.
I got around can't see by lining the boom with some reference points on a shelf of DVDs in front. If I kept the boom centered between the 6 season set of "Corner Gas" and Ken Burn's "Civil War" then I was pretty centered. Then I added a fiberglass pole used to mark driveways in snow country to one side. I know when my leg touches the pole I am within 3" of the edge. The pole is on a bendy spring support so if I fall off it bends without breaking.

I can watch a video while pedaling without falling off...usually.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Yesterday I bought a Wahoo KICKR (not SNAP) from REI as I was able to get 20% off plus an additional 15% in dividends and rewards. Unfortunately, REI only has the 11-speed version. I'm assuming that all I need to do is replace the included 11-speed cassette with a 10-speed cassette and get a spacer. I have not opened the box yet and can return it if it is not the best option. I'm looking for advice from the experts.
Yes; ours came with 10speeds and we did the reverse. It's simple if you have a cassette wrench and a chain whip. If not now is the right time to get them. There are some nice $40 bike tool kits on Amazon I can point you to; if you want simple ones and some other tools so you get more bang for your buck.

Is there anything else I should be aware of trying to use a KICKR with my Vendetta? Which is better on the Vendetta KICKR or KICKR SNAP?

Works fine; I prefer the KICKR to the SNAP because no wear and tear on the wheel;

Watch for my up coming post on my Structured Training test group. You might find that Kickr even more interesting to have.

Dave Arnold

Bob--thank you very much. That's exactly the information I was looking for. I have ordered a XT 10-speed, which is going on my wheel replacing the SRAM 10-speed currently there. The SRAM will go on the KICKR.

Dave

P.S. Looking forward to the Structured Training. I assume I should look for it here on the CB forums.