Training advice

Kenneth Jessett

I'm not sure where to dump this, so I'll try here: Do the experts agree that when riding a V - laying almost flat in an absurd position - that the hands should just be feathering the handlebars?

I'm still in the 'yanking' (careful how you say that) state where I pull back on the handlebar as I push down on the pedal, so naturally I am all over the place and constantly over correcting making me a menace on a hike and bike trail. Right foot down, pull up on the right handlebar, and so on, so, did you all go through this stage and am I doing it right? I don't really want to get a reputation for staying a 'yanker'. :p

Last edited:

Tigerpaw

Agreed, getting the leg length/arm length/upper back and shoulder comfortable leads to a more relaxed grip. Just remember, one change at a time.... no major swings at the setup. Enjoy the experience.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I'm still in the 'yanking' (careful how you say that) state where I pull back on the handlebar as I push down on the pedal, so naturally I am all over the place and constantly over correcting making me a menace on a hike and bike trail.

That sounds symptomatic of have the handle bars too far back towards the body and the arms a bit too bent. Try move the handlebars forward 5mm at a time until it stops. You can also back out the headrest a bit; you may be pushed too far forward in the cockpit.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I'm not sure where to dump this, so I'll try here: Do the experts agree that when riding a V - laying almost flat in an absurd position - that the hands should just be feathering the handlebars?

I'm still in the 'yanking' (careful how you say that) state where I pull back on the handlebar as I push down on the pedal, so naturally I am all over the place and constantly over correcting making me a menace on a hike and bike trail. Right foot down, pull up on the right handlebar, and so on, so, did you all go through this stage and am I doing it right? I don't really want to get a reputation for staying a 'yanker'. :p
Two side photos of you on the bike with the camera side leg fully extended, and fully retracted with thigh touching the handle bar would be good for the V20 riders to check your bike set up!

Kenneth Jessett

That sounds symptomatic of have the handle bars too far back towards the body and the arms a bit too bent. Try move the handlebars forward 5mm at a time until it stops. You can also back out the headrest a bit; you may be pushed too far forward in the cockpit.
I have the pivot clamp at the penulitmate hole now, so not much more to gain on that. I could try going to the last hole I suppose.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Thigh touching the handlebar? Is that how it should be? :eek:
Mine is set up to where I can flex my ankle (extreme) and my thigh will barely touch the bar...it doesn't normally get that close. On my V2/k, my clearance is a bit tighter and if I grip the handlebar in the right place, my thigh will tap my thumb/fingers at every stroke.
Sounds like you need more parking lot practice...low wattage, just concentrate on pedaling quietly and working on being able to pedal without causing the front end to swing either direction.

ratz

I have the pivot clamp at the penulitmate hole now, so not much more to gain on that. I could try going to the last hole I suppose.

Yellow Vendentta Silver Boom then I suppose?

If so you can rotate the pivot clamp 180 degrees and get double the number of size options.

ratz

Mine is set up to where I can flex my ankle (extreme) and my thigh will barely touch the bar...it doesn't normally get that close. On my V2/k, my clearance is a bit tighter and if I grip the handlebar in the right place, my thigh will tap my thumb/fingers at every stroke.
Sounds like you need more parking lot practice...low wattage, just concentrate on pedaling quietly and working on being able to pedal without causing the front end to swing either direction.

I keep mine so that if I'm actively pedaling my legs just barely don't touch. if I phantom pedal with sloppy ankles then they immediately hit the handle bar. I tend to ride with the arms with a 20degree bend. When were at sebring I got on the bike for the first time after winter tweaks; and the bars were about 9mm too far back the beast was misbehaved and squirrelly until I moved it back out.

I find that the arms need to be in a position of strength, that spot where you can quickly tighten your grip and lock the bicep. That give you the ability to go instantly from relaxed to locked with no steering input; that's essential if you are going to drop the hammer and go from 100watts to 800watts is 3 seconds.