trekking bars

baov

Has anyone thought of putting trekking bars on the Silvio ? I'm thinking of cutting the rear loop and only keeping the front bend.

> Why not use the standard drop?
I hate integrated brifters. I want bar ends but can't mount it safely, a bullhorns are for tall people and I'm just 1.70m

> You'll have to use 22.2mm components. Why not just get a quest?
I have a v2k. It's quite heavy. My baby legs can't pedal it up hills with touring gear.

> Silvio is not a touring bike.
Is it?

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I use Mustache bars on my Cruzigami where you can use integrated trigger shifters/brakes (for Shimano at least).

I think the trekking bars would be too bulky, but I've been wrong a lot in the past, so...

baov

I thought mustache bars were for road levers?

Also I meant to cut the trekking bars so that only the forward part remains.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
There is a standard clamp diameter for road bars. I think it is 22.2 mm. I know that the mountain standard is narrower because I found out to my cost. I got mountain brakes and the levers would not fit on the Cruzbike bars. I got mountain bars. The brakes went on the bars. The bars were too narrow for the handlebar clamp.

Bruce B

For the bullhorns on my V20 I started with a pair of shims. Each shim was cut in half for a total of four. Purely for aesthetics the factory beveled edges were installed facing one another.

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

defjack

Zen MBB Master
I use these Wald 8095 touring bars on my Silvio 1.0. You can use any shifters you want with the right shims. You dont have to use brifters if you dont like them.P1010018.JPG

baov

The bars I've attached to the original post have a 31.8mm clamp diameter so all this talk about shims do not apply (I hope).

Components sizes: 22.2mm is mountain size, 23.8mm is road.