Tropical Island Century

Ivan_Liew

I haven't posted to the Cruzbike Forum in ages but I am still riding my Silvio 2.0! I took a ferry from Singapore with a friend to a nearby island in Indonesia to do what is called the Barelang 7 Bridges ride. Dramatic eh? That's my best action shot on my 2 year old Silvio!

image.jpg

7 bridges connect tiny islands in the archipelago and crossing all of them results in a hilly 160km two ways - perfect century! We had no support, just stopping at roadside stalls for food and drinks.

image.jpg

The view from each of the bridges was fabulous. A clear day but also up to 36 deg C and very humid made the 1300m ascent tough but worthwhile. Silvio handled the rolling hills with aplomb, and tackled the frequent 6-7% grades no problem. A couple of 10-12% grades had me tugging on those bars and a bit of wheel slip (I never get to practice those gradients!).

image.jpg

At the southernmost tip, a seafood "kelong" restaurant awaited us amidst classic tropical beach scenery. A kelong is a structure built over the water. This one had a long jetty, served food, coconuts and drinks, kept fish, and even allowed you to stay the night of you can't bike the return journey immediately!

image.jpg

The return ride seemed faster for some reason. The final bit of heavy traffic with swarms of motorbikes made Singapore traffic look mild. We made it back in time for the last ferry back home to Singapore! All in all a great day!

image.jpg

BentAero

Great report Ivan, and good to hear from you. I was beginning to wonder if you were still alive. ;)

mzweili

Guru
I missed your contributions to our forum. Remembering your videos I feared you got squeezed in the traffic of Singapore. Happy to see you back with nice ride reports.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
He lives! I just assumed you were avoiding venedetta-istis. You and your bike look great; hopefully you are spending more time with her than us o_O

Ivan_Liew

LOL! It's nice to get welcomed back with a literal "glad you're still alive" and not squashed by a truck! I was busy then I couldn't reset my account with the new and improved forum -- finally decided to make a new one.

FaceBook reminded me that my Silvio is now 2 years old. Great milestone! I have since also started running and got myself a cyclocross for off-road adventures. But Silvio is still my main ride. I am asking a Duathlon organiser if I can use her in the run-bike-event. Will be interesting if they say yes! :)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
But Silvio is still my main ride. I am asking a Duathlon organiser if I can use her in the run-bike-event. Will be interesting if they say yes!

Then you can be a class of your own in the event too. :cool:

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hello Ivan - nice to see you're back. Great pic's, that looks like fun ride - tropics, islands, bridges, lots of Sunshine, and seafood.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Ivan, I've thought of you more than once.
Such a regular to have dropped off so fast...in light of crashes out of Ratz, Larry, Elliot, and even my own recent mishap I gotta say - I'm glad you weren't squished by a truck too. :)

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I don't crash; it's more of a controlled falling slide. The swearing is optional. :confused:
I resemble that remark - although I haven't got to the "optional" part - but at least to "darnit-darnit-darnit-I can't believe it-AGAIN" , really really loud.
Yes - crashing I see as 30 to 0 in 1 second into a non-movable object - I'll pick "controlled sliding" any day over that!

I guess we high-jacked Ivan's thread - Sorry Ivan.
Yes glad to have you back Ivan. Beautiful ride and pics. Keep it up and stay with us now - your an original!! :)

Ivan_Liew

I am still itching to do that long solo multi-day tour I mentioned in a forum discussion months ago. We shall see...