Twist shifters?

Rat Rider

Has anyone ever used twisters on a Silvio/Vendetta?

I have a nice XO set of which I am very fond. Probably relegated to the used part drawer...

hamishbarker

Has anyone ever used twisters on a Silvio/Vendetta?

I have a nice XO set of which I am very fond. Probably relegated to the used part drawer...
one good thing about brifters is the extra hand position they give out on the hoods. whrn i started riding the v i did use that posi occasionally to give a bit of forward crunch on steep grades. but not now that i'm used to the v laidback position.

i guess twisters could give the option for an m5 style "praying mantis" cockpit, although i wouldn't be too sure about how well that style works for mbb, especially when new to the mbb steering dynamics as you will be. as far as that walmart setup, yes i guess you could do it but it would mean lots of changing hand positions just to shift gears. twisters out at the ends of the drops could be done, but may touch the sides of the knee, especially on turns. migt look wierd, and aren't road drops diff diameterto mtb handlebars where twisters are usually used?

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
I used to have twist shifters on a mountain bike and loved them. I was also wondering how they would be on a Vendetta.
as a recent learner on a v i would think they would be problematic and add to the steep learning curve. i have xo twisters not gripshift on my gto trike. i think the twist movement would be adding to your initial instability. hamish is spot on with the extra position on the hoods being invaluable. but it would be not impossible far from it.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I've got XO's on the quest and about 1000 miles on it on the trainer and on the road with SRAM Force Derailleurs. The work really good, but the the precision of them doesn't match what a good APEX level brifter does when set correct. On the V2.0 the amount of power/torque you can put on the pedals on a hill you'll want the leverage from a brifter or a bar end shifters; a sweet hand eveon on an XO would disappoint in most cases.

When you want to review handlebar options and possible shifters start with this monster thread:
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/bullhorn-and-dropbar-options.7014/

Then build on what's been done so far; if you come up with new and exciting add to that thread and we'll all be excited to ask way to many question on how it work.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Shifters are a personal preference, aren't they?

I recognize those grips on the Walmart GMC Denali... the grips on the twist shifters, I mean.
Those came stock on the Sofrider V1 I have, and were the first mechanically indexed shifter
I ever used on the first recumbent bike I ever rode.
They work fine.

You know, of course, that once you integrate what you learn about how to shift gears
with how to handle and steer your bike, it's all good, right?
I mean, your legs do all the heavy lifting when steering... so with shifting, of any bobbles 'n.
wobbles creep in, they will be accommodated with your legs.

Back on topic:
My stock grip shifter finally broke after a long, hard life and I retired it permanently.
As a kid, I learned how to shift with downtube friction shifters, so that's what I defaulted to.
Now my gears are selected by the cheap, but well built, friction shifters on my drop bars.
They're not as fast or as convenient as the grip shifter, but they're more dependable.
-You know, like the difference between the old analog tech and the new digital tech.
Of course digital is better, but analog works.

Go with brifters if you can afford them.
Fingertip indexed shifting is the bomb.

-Steve