Two questions for anyone who owns both a Vendetta and a Silvio

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, after lurking for a while.

I have about 2500 miles on my Vendetta 2.0, my first recumbent after 27 years on a DF. I love it!

Now the little reptilian part of my brain responsible for bike lust is wondering about the Silvio, not as a replacement for the V, but as a compliment to it.

My first question: How does the seat height of the Silvio compare to the Vendetta? I am on the short side. Fortunately, the seat height on the V works, but I'm glad it's not much higher. If the Silvio's seat height is, say, much more than a half inch higher than the V, then I'll have to tell my little brain to settle down. But if the seat heights are similar...well then...

Second question: Do you find yourself grabbing one bike significantly more often than the other, or do you find that they each get action, depending on the kind of ride you are doing? My V is great, but some of my routes are a little lumpy, commuting on it can be an adventure, and my friends are on the slow side (while the V wants to go fast).

Thanks for the input,

Craig

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hi Craig
Silvio's seat height

Hi Craig

Silvio's seat height is more than 1/2", it's couple I think.

I have both, but favor the Vendenta over the Silvio, in fact I haven't ridden the Silvio in at least three months. By this, I'm not saying anything is wrong with the Silvio, it's a great bike. I just like the Vendetta better I guess, but that's just me. Ratz may have a different opinion than I do, which goes to show you I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to your second question. Keep in mind too, the Silvio wants to go fast too. But you can ride either bike slow. For bad roads you may want to try wider tires and run the PSI a little lower. But you will never know the true answer to your 2nd question unless you own a Silvio too. But the answer to to your first question may be the only you need?

Wannabe

so let me ask.... what is it

so let me ask.... what is it about your V, that makes you think you might like/ want/ need a Silvio?

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
I'm not sure what it is, which is partly why I'm asking

I think I'm mainly satisfying a fairly idle curiosity. Rick mostly confirmed what I figured--that the Silvio, with its suspension, sits high enough compared to the V to make starts and stops an issue for my short legs (I had to make several modifications to make my V fit).

The true answer to your question is that I probably don't need a Silvio. The thought of one started with realizing how much my butt doesn't hurt after riding big miles on the V, compared to my short commute on a DF frame (ouch!), but that on the days when I commute on the V, navigating through traffic can be a little tense. I got to wondering if the Silvio is a milder-mannered/slightly more versatile version of the V--still fun to ride, but not quite as demanding. It's probably overkill for what I would end up using it to do. And if it sits a couple inches higher, it's moot for me anyway (which is kind of a relief). Heck, if it's a sore bum with my DF commuter that has me thinking, maybe I should look at the Quest.

Thanks for making me think this through a little more.

Craig

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Think about building an adjustable seat on yoru V

Rick has done this and it just might be the solution to riding in heavier traffic and having a better view, and also being a little more visible! I will be working on this very thing this Spring for my V

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
That's an idea

Thanks for the suggestion, Larry. I think I've seen what Rick did. Perhaps I'll go back and look again.

My $0.02

Hi Craig,

I also have both...started with a Silvio 1.5 and got a V2.0 about a year later. I still ride both bikes. In general, if I'm riding with someone else, I'll be on the Silvio, and if I'm riding alone, I'll be on the V. The reason is all of my riding buddies are on DFs, and I'm a better match for speed with them on the Silvio.

I do notice that the rough roads seem a bit smoother on the Silvio, but they don't bother me too much on the V. Also, I find that it's easier to look around and enjoy the scenery while I'm on the Silvio. When I look side to side on the Vendetta, usually want to pick my head up so I can keep what's ahead of me in my peripheral view. If I leave my head on the headrest, I don't feel too safe looking very far to the side. Another thing I prefer about the Silvio is that it's easier to reach behind the seat for a water bottle. I use camelbak bladders with both bikes, but I have the bottle option only on the Silvio.

I can ride both bikes in traffic, but I do prefer the Silvio in that situation.

Hope this helps. n+1.

-John

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Worth more than $0.02

Hi John,

Thanks for the comparison. Just got back from a ride on the V. What a blast. The bike seemed to be saying, "You got everything you need right here." Feeling more settled.

Happy riding.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
If you are a bit more comfort

If you are a bit more comfort on the vendetta, fit 40 mm thick open mesh seat pads, as going from 30 mm to 40 mm makes a big difference on a Silvio V1.0 45 deg seat back.

Fit 28 mm tyres on wide rims so you can run at lower tyre pressures for the same rolling resistance.

Pump your tyres to the recommended pressure to give 15% vertical deflection for min resistance and best suspension

http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

One more thing

One more thing I forgot to mention, Craig, is that since I have a Silvio 1.5, and presumably you would be buying a new Silvio, which is a little more like the Vendetta, I would think that you'd see less of a contrast between the two bikes than I do.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
My uninformed opinion:Once

My uninformed opinion:

Once you have a Vendetta, I'd go even more utilitarian for the second bike (like a Quest). I understand why people who own Silvios can't stop and get Vendettas, but once you have a Vendetta, a Silvio (v)2(0 ) doesn't seem like enough of a "step down"/utility to make it worth while.

(After you buy a Silvio V20 and you decide you agree with me, you can mail the Silvio to:
Charles Plager
2xxxxx W .....
USA

:D

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
I now agree

Thanks for the perspective, Charles. I've come to a similar conclusion over the past couple days, partly through the above thread. Only someone with more money than they know what to do with would buy a Porsche for a daily driver while he takes his Ferrari out only on Sundays. Since this really began with me realizing how much less comfortable I am on my DF commuter/run-around bike, the Quest is probably what I should consider someday. The whole bike costs less than just the Silvio frameset, and I would have both ends of the performance to utility spectrum covered while being comfortable. It's tax season...maybe I'll have a good refund coming my way this year.

Thanks for the comments, y'all.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hey Craig! Are you doing any

Hey Craig! Are you doing any of the upcoming centuries?

Bike Around the Butts: April-18
Chico xFlower: April-26
Flat Fast Fun Colusa 100 mile Century: May-2

and then theres the Anderson Century: May-16 - this is a hard climbing ride right down the road from me.

I'm going to try and ride as many of these as I can. I've only done the Chico 60 mile Flatflower from the list above, which was my first first metric-century a couple of years ago.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Nah get all 3......

Nah get all 3......

Quest 20", for Marauding done the M.U.P. in heavy traffic.
Silvio, for Social riding with other roadies.
Vendetta, for Solo stuff because nobody is going to hang with you if there is any head wind.

All seriousness though there is a does feel like a drastic different between riding the Silvio and Vendetta after you get use to the Vendetta it feels like you are up bolt upright on the Silvio. As for as seat height you should be fine on the S30 if you put the ventisit "thin/orginal" seat pad on it; versus the "comfort" one; both are thiner than the stock seat pads.

But If I could only have two it would be a Vendetta and a Quest 20".

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Picking up a Quest this Sunday

I found a used Quest up near Yreka (okay, Grants Pass, but he's meeting me in Yreka on Sunday).. I think it'll suit the round town riding nicely. Thanks for the input, Bob.

Hey Rick,

I can't do the Wildflower this year because of a scheduling conflict, but I'd like to get other rides in. I might look into some of the ones that you mentioned. I've heard things about the Anderson ride, and I do like to climb.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
I'll keep an eye out for you.

Yeah, it can get a little lonely out there riding recumbent, compared to years of being in a pack of DF riders. But maybe over time this particular tribe will grow here, one rider at a time.