Tyre update

TimOz

Hello all from warm Melbourne.
I wanted to get an updated opinion on tyre options that people suggest for my Silvio 1.0.
I have 700C wheels currently shod with Cintinental Gatorskin 25s.
I ride about 30% road, 65% bike tracks (that cane be really rough) and 5% gravel tracks. The Gatorskins are great and have been punctureproof so far but are a little "hairy" on dirt or gravel.
Any suggestions that are a little more secure on gravel but can still take a hit from a poorly haintained bike track?

Thanks,

Tim

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Its a hard trade off, Tim. If

Its a hard trade off, Tim. If you can adjust pressures to suit, then 700c x 28, at 120 for road, and 80 dirt and even lower down to 50 for gravel, but at that pressure, pinch flats might trouble you.

TimOz

Thanks John,
I am a little

Thanks John,
I am a little averse to lower the pressure too much as there are some nasty bike paths around here with really sharp edges.

I guess I am asking if anyone has some experience fitting different tyres with a little more tread and perhaps a 28 size. The Gatorskins have no real tread at all.

There are a few cyclocross style tyres and even some of the touring tyres that may fit the bill - if they fit the bike. There is so little clearance in the forks that I think many tyres simply will not fit.

Anyone else actually tried different Silvio tyres that have some tread on them.

Like these:
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 700 x 28
schwalbe-marathon-supreme-med.jpg

Or
Schwalbe Marathon Original GreenGuard Rigid Road City Tyre 700x28
schwalbe-marathon-gg-tyre-med.jpg

Hello. I bought some Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700c Black 700x28 and they hit the fork. I had ordered them online from BikeTiresDirect and they took them back, luckily. I bought some 700X25 tires that have good tread on them instead. I was hoping the 28s would work because I want some really reliable tires for touring.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
On my Silvio 1.0 I used to use Cont. GP 4000s 700*23 tyres 210 gms, as low rolling resistance and a thick rubber slick tread, so NO Punctures as I only used it for races.

I will now use it on 4,000 km ride through Canada and USA this year, so changed to Schwalbe Ultremo XLZ 700*28 235 grams, same rolling resistance, medium rubber slick tread, so 1 puncture in 2000 km, but LOTS better handling on fast decents on roufg bitumen roads, and at 90 psi much smoother ride, and i expect 1/2 the tyre life as 1/2 the rubber, but the improved handling and comfort outweight the cost increase.

Regards
Super Slim

thebean

I am just about to make a

I am just about to make a tire change and will go the one of the Schwalbe tires. Extremely durable and you get what you pay for.