Uh oh...V20 back in stock!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I do have a confession to make. o_O I've already 'Arte Johnsoned' the V. I simply couldn't stand it...and got on board in the above pictured config. Note that beyond not having several connections completed, there are no brakes. I was fine until...it started rolling backwards and I couldn't stop it moving...toppled over with a thud and I laid there laughing at my idiot self. Thank god there were no cameras about.
There are always camera about.. haha
Big Brother is watching - and of course don't forget about "The Google".
Something will surface at the most in-opportune time. :eek::D;):)

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I know I don't have to worry about Miz Diane. If she had witnessed...call 911. She'd have laughed until she passed out. :D

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Ha! Finally got notification that the wheelset has shipped. woo-hoo! :) I temporarily installed the BB and chainstay last night, looks to be no problems there. I really want to have the 'real' front wheel and cogs to make sure my crank shim stack is correct for an optimal chainline...or at least close. :cool:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I really want to have the 'real' front wheel and cogs to make sure my crank shim stack is correct for an optimal chainline...or at least close. :cool:

It will be biased outboard at the crank no matter what so only shim if you need crank arm; and foot heal chainstay clearance; just the nature of this animal. It's not a lot more than a dF but it is noticeable if you are use to looking at such things. Definitely encourages me to cross chain less with big ring and the top 3 sprockets.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Y'know, I think I remember the chainstay clearance thing from my first conversion build (many moons ago). I'd forgotten about that. I used an antique (1980's) road-double crank and I had to shim it out to keep the chain off of the chainstay in some gears. As I recall, the crank arm to chainstay clearance was whisper-thin on that bike.

Thanks for jogging my memory!

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Wheels up!

Got my wheels in yesterday afternoon. Beauties! Only fly in the ointment is the Hope rear hub...click,click,click,click,click. Freewheel is really noisy...thank god it isn't on a disc wheel! My old Shimano FW (on the V2/K) is dead silent. Great for coasting up behind walkers on the MUT and then scaring the beejeezus out of them as I shout "ON YER LEFT!!" :D

Bro' Don is bringing in a cassette spline wrench to the coffee shop this morning...I couldn't find mine. Spent a delightful evening puttering about with the Vendetta. BB, cranks, FD, RD, brakes, brifters, etc. all are on the bike...but I haven't run cable housing or cables yet. Looks like thunderstorms today so I'll probably get a full day on the porch with the bike.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Especially on a 1% decline, where my saw-tooth M/C(front wheel ratchet) is making it hard to talk, while the DFs are pedaling, then I release the brake and sail off into the distance, while not pedaling!!!
One of them has bought the same TWE wheels, and 28 mm Ultremo tyres as me in an effort to roll as well! It did not work!
That is on a 45 degree seated Silvio V 1.0, so imagine what a S30 or V20 would be like!

Tigerpaw

Finished the 'dry' fit. Eventually, the fork stem will probably be shortened.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 21

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
OK...bike is built. The lighting this weekend was often by 'lightning', so I was unable to get a decent picture of it. Will have a photo-shoot soonest.

Thanks to Ratz (and the rest of y'all), the build was pretty painless. I ended up rigging all the shifters and brakes several times each, sometimes simply because I cut the cable housings a bit long or got the routing wrong (or twisted), etc.

General notes (no, I haven't had it on the road yet):

1. Rotor 3D24 compact 34/50 crankset and the Enduro "Road" BB required no shims whatsoever. Worked perfectly and easily. Too easily...I had to go back and revisit all the instructions, etc., because I didn't trust that it just fell together. Easy peasy...all torqued and done. Very smooth. No clearance issues at all...chainline is almost dead on.
2. SRAM Force 22 FD 'yaw' was also a piece of cake to rig. Not easy-peasy...but not rocket science either. Shifts smoothly and accurately.
3. SRAM Rival22 brifters...jury is still out on those. No real rigging problems but as I've never had a pair, they'll take some time to get used to.
4. TRP hy/rd brakes...da bomb. Fit perfect. They seem just a shade 'squishy', I probably will go thru and bleed 'em myself.
5. SRAM GX 10sp RD. Works fine...I think. Getting it to shift across the full 11 gears took me all afternoon and it still has some minor issues. It will shift very nicely and index perfectly going from small gears to large; doesn't miss a beat. Going from large to small...it skips 3rd gear every time. When I adjust it to hit 3rd properly...all the other gears are wonky. Still working on that one.
6. 28c tires are 'no issue'. I suspect I could squeak in a 32c if I needed it (esp. in the back).
7. Front skewer is just barely long enough. I think I'm getting three threads on the nut. It will work...but I'd rather have more thread engagement. I didn't measure the width of the new Hope hub but It is within just a millimeter or so of dropping into the forks (I have to just barely spread them).

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
That's normal the forks are 132.5mm to take both 130mm and 135mm hubs.
Yes, I had read that they were a 'compromise' width. I think I can safely assume my hubs are 135mm.

Anyone make custom skewers? Even another 1/4" would make me feel better. I've misplaced my skewer-stretcher. :rolleyes:

ratz

Yes, I had read that they were a 'compromise' width. I think I can safely assume my hubs are 135mm.

Anyone make custom skewers? Even another 1/4" would make me feel better. I've misplaced my skewer-stretcher. :rolleyes:

DT swiss ratchet skewers are the best thing going right now; most road bikes are coming 132.5mm now so they account for that with there 135mm one which expresses the size hub it is for; it's actually longer than 135mm which isn't always obvious.

Last edited:

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
DT switch ratchet skewers are the best thing going right now; most road bikes are coming 132.5mm now so they account for that with there 135mm one which expresses the size hub it is for; it's actually longer than 135mm which isn't always obvious.
Those are in number one position on my a asap list.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Got it tagged on Amazon.com...unless my LBS has one (unlikely). Might as well pick up a matching one for the rear. Probably snag a couple Cyclestar mirrors while I'm at it.

edit: my LBS sez they can have the DT Swiss 135mm skewer (and the matching 100mm one for the back) here Wednesday...$12.00. Also will have the tires I want (Vittorio Rubino 28c) same day. The WTB "Thick Slick" tires I threw on yesterday look really cool but are unproven (at least, to me). I've been riding the Rubinos for years and know them well.

Thanks!

Now I need to send a note to Cruzbike and pick up a Ventisit comfort seatpad.

Last edited:

ratz

Thickslick: Sport, Deluxe or Elite?

regardless.... a report on those will be expected ;)

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Thickslick: Sport, Deluxe or Elite?

regardless.... a report on those will be expected ;)

Doesn't say on the tire itself...and I threw away the tags. :oops:

They were $25ea, so relatively inexpensive = Sport. They were the only 'non-folding' 28c tire in the store.

Marked for 80-100psi They feel 'cushy' out on the porch (at 80psi). Not yer 700x23 x 150psi racers, for sure. I like they way they look though. Wire bead...but easily mounted by hand.

Report? Wilco.