Uh oh...V20 back in stock!

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I spent a couple hrs last night doing "sittin' and fittin'". Got out my new shoes and set up the Speedplay SYZR pedals (which appear to be working nicely), etc. Unfortunately, I found that the combination of my long legs and, um, 'thickness' results in a slider/handlebar that extends out over my belly-button, essentially locking me in the bike. I can get in pretty easily (sit down, slide forward) but getting out requires gyrations this fat boy ain't accustomed to. The interference isn't that severe, it will be ride-able, but it prevents me from sitting up easily. Of course, the motion to sit up and slide back pulls the front wheel off the ground...and the bike comes back with me (even with both brakes locked down). Naturally, I gotta figure out the best exit technique, etc.

So...while I'm slowly losing 'thickness' (due to my ongoing weight reduction program), I think the stock slider is going to be untenable for a good while. Even when I get down to a reasonable size (for me), I don't think I will ever be able to 'slam' my headset. Hey, I'm a big guy.:cool:

So, I've ordered a curved slider (and a Ventisit pad). I have lots of visual-line clearance over the current slider/handlebars. Another 40mm should help me get off the bike without having to call 911. Of course, I can always extend the headtube...I'd rather avoid that if I can...and I am getting thinner every day. I may just have to be patient (dammit, it is ready to ride...I WANT TO RIDE).

I solved this issue on the Baron buy adding a folding "Glideflex" tiller. Very snazzy and works perfectly...but very different configuration/style of bike.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I spent a couple hrs last night doing "sittin' and fittin'". Got out my new shoes and set up the Speedplay SYZR pedals (which appear to be working nicely), etc. Unfortunately, I found that the combination of my long legs and, um, 'thickness' results in a slider/handlebar that extends out over my belly-button, essentially locking me in the bike. I can get in pretty easily (sit down, slide forward) but getting out requires gyrations this fat boy ain't accustomed to. The interference isn't that severe, it will be ride-able, but it prevents me from sitting up easily. Of course, the motion to sit up and slide back pulls the front wheel off the ground...and the bike comes back with me (even with both brakes locked down). Naturally, I gotta figure out the best exit technique, etc.

So...while I'm slowly losing 'thickness' (due to my ongoing weight reduction program), I think the stock slider is going to be untenable for a good while. Even when I get down to a reasonable size (for me), I don't think I will ever be able to 'slam' my headset. Hey, I'm a big guy.:cool:

So, I've ordered a curved slider (and a Ventisit pad). I have lots of visual-line clearance over the current slider/handlebars. Another 40mm should help me get off the bike without having to call 911. Of course, I can always extend the headtube...I'd rather avoid that if I can...and I am getting thinner every day. I may just have to be patient (dammit, it is ready to ride...I WANT TO RIDE).

I solved this issue on the Baron buy adding a folding "Glideflex" tiller. Very snazzy and works perfectly...but very different configuration/style of bike.

Stem extension also help some of the clydales get more sit up room, see abotts posts on the subject. Before the new diet I was in pretty tight; and can still relive that if I get on Pluckyblond's bike. The dismount trick is one that can only be practice on the ground. When rolling forward at 3-4 mph you just plant you feet; do a sit up; and un weight by buttochs; you will pop right up and the bike will roll under you and you'll be standing over the seat. Take a couple of tries to figure out and you might wind up standing up wearing you bike the first few tries but you'll figure it out; that should tide you over until the pounds melt off. and remember we have more room on the 4f program if you want some to crack the aerobic whip; debug with the test crew is getting out of the alpha phase at this point; and you already have the kinetic training.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Thanks again. I took a look at Abbot's posts..."headtube" vs "steerer tube"...nomenclature. :confused: I'll pick up an extension...I've used 'em before.

I had read previously about the "Vexit Shuffle", I'll have to give that a go when I actually get it out on the road. Otherwise, I'll have to call for the 'jaws of life'. :eek:

I do intend to join the 4f...but am Android based. I think you said an app might be ready by October. Wahoo RFLKT, sensors and Kickr Snap are on Santa's list...

ratz

Thanks again. I took a look at Abbot's posts..."headtube" vs "steerer tube"...nomenclature. :confused: I'll pick up an extension...I've used 'em before.

I had read previously about the "Vexit Shuffle", I'll have to give that a go when I actually get it out on the road. Otherwise, I'll have to call for the 'jaws of life'. :eek:

I do intend to join the 4f...but am Android based. I think you said an app might be ready by October. Wahoo RFLKT, sensors and Kickr Snap are on Santa's list...

Yep word has it that Android should be ready for fall training. or that's the goal they are targeting.

SamP

Guru

You probably don't need RFLKT unless you want the form factor and reflective LCD display. If you have a recent Samsung or Sony phone, you already have ANT+ support in your phone. If you have a windows tablet or laptop, you can join in now with an inexpensive USB ANT+ stick.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
You probably don't need RFLKT unless you want the form factor and reflective LCD display. If you have a recent Samsung or Sony phone, you already have ANT+ support in your phone. If you have a windows tablet or laptop, you can join in now with an inexpensive USB ANT+ stick.
Yah, I'm looking for form factor. I don't want to hang my S5 on the bars. My tablet is Android and the Windose laptop is the house PC. I'll wait for October, no problem. I'll be lighter then!

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Quick update (I'm typing with my riding gloves on, thankfully they're fingerless)...test ride this morning. I'm blessed with a nice-soft descent on the street in front of my house. Curves slowly into a 'corner cul-de-sac' and then left about 6 houses, crosses a subdivision street and down to a matching 'corner cul-de-sac'. Probably not even a 1/4 mile total, half-mile round trip. No, I'm not at work today. :D

My driveway, OTOH, is quite steep...so I walk the V down to the street and hop in (note, not "on"). Plan A: clip in right foot, coast a bit, clip in left...

Plan A goes askew almost immediately. Clip in RH, coast, leave Left unclipped 'cause I'm all over the road. Settle down and make it up as you go along, Marc! So, I let her coast down to the first cul-de-sac and make a circle while I figure things out. No problem. I finally get it into a gear that has some resistance (never used brifters whilst riding) and get the left clipped in. I motor over to the furthest cul-de-sac and make two loops under power. Shift to the small ring and climb back up to 1st cul-de-sac. Gee, I either chose my gearing brilliantly or this thing likes to be under power. Still no issues...other than I have more adjusting to do both front and back...I forgot to re-vist the gearing after I did my 'fitting'.

I make a couple of passes and decide to climb back to the house. This is a test. Usually (on my V2/K) I'm in the smallest ring of the triple and the biggest in the rear. IIRC, 26/32 or something like that. The V has a 32/50 'compact' up front and a 11-36 in the back. No problem with the V and I end up at my driveway in the 32 on the back. Hmmmmm.

Thoughts:

I never noticed I was riding Q-rings. Just thought about that. I think I was busy. :confused:
V = comfortable. I had set the headrest to Ratz' latest build recommendation and...it needs nothing. My current helmet (Bell "Slant") fits fine, no impact there. Sure, I had some belly-rub...but quite minor.
Wonky at slow speed (training/seat time issue), gets more solid as it speeds up. Very solid climbing (same with all my other Cruzbikes). On the V2/K, I can go furthest 'no hands' if I'm taking on a moderate ascent.
The TRP discs were not as solid as I expected. I think they need a little break-in. No way they would do a stoppie this morning. Of course, I'm probably testing the limits of their ability to deal with my KE. ;)

Ok, I'm done. I'm headed out to ride the V2/K for an hour or so. Nice to have a day off!

ratz

this thing likes to be under power.
You'll get use to it whispering in your ear to go faster, cause you know you want to.....

Coming off the V2/K do the drills like a newbie; you should be able to blow through them in no time. Let your brain acknowledge the differences. Anyone can ride a speed; but at 4 mph you really don't want an V2/K reflect taking over in a moment of panic. It's too soon to be scratching the paint.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Whew...90F x 60% humidity out there today. Balmy Nawth Alabama weather. ;) 15mi was enough. I think I heard my sunscreen whimpering.

Yes, my master plan is to take the V thru the basics. I'm all about training at the limits (slow and fast) so that I'll develop SMA* reflexes early on. Learning to ride the Baron really changed my thinking there. I left a lot of skin and blood on the tarmac for that lesson. :eek:

Master Plan II is to clean up the V2/K and sell her on (same with the Baron and Catrike). I have another V2/K that is getting a 29er front fork soon (sans suspension) and perhaps SRAM 1x gearing. It is currently my 'fattie cruzer' but that SA 3sp is just not what I want.

*SMA = Save My A$$

ratz

I have another V2/K that is getting a 29er front fork soon (sans suspension) and perhaps SRAM 1x gearing.
Nice;

Working on making 2 Quest 451's into gravel grinders right now; just need the wheel to get here.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
First 'real' ride: 25mi

1. I do know how to ride. I swear. :confused:
2. Thank God for Tegaderm. :eek:

Ok, up at 0500 this morning, V20 is totally ready, bars wrapped, shifting tuned, water onboard, safety lighting, etc. No tool kit, no mirrors...yet. Actually, I spent about an hour yesterday evening running slow-speed drills in a parking lot near the house; getting the feel of the bike, the shifters, etc. Feels 'sorted' and ready to go.

So, I roll out onto the 5-lane street at the entrance to my subdivision and head South. No cars, no worries. It is smooth and gently undulating...averaging slightly downhill. I'm being very careful to keep an eye on everything and maintain a comfortable pace...except the V has speed on its mind. I find myself in the tall gears very quickly and I like it.

About a mile in, I realize that I've forgotten to turn on my ride tracking apps. Ok, no prob., I'm following the old marathon route and it turns North on a side road that is usually empty of cars. I stop, set my tracking apps, clip in and promptly fall over. I had forgotten to get into a 'starting' gear...tried to push it...nope. That's A.J. #1. At least I had the presence of mind to keep my elbows in and simply pretend to be a sack of concrete. No harm...all I left on the asphalt was a bit of ego. o_O

I picked myself and the bike up, shifted it into the appropriate gear and motored off thru the neighborhoods. Very pleasant riding! Of course, I'm all new with the V so the learning curve is steep. I sweep into any available parking lot along the way and play loop-de-loop...fast if there is room, slow if not. The SRAM shift group is really excellent and the bike handles superbly...as long as you're paying attention.

I have no instrumentation on the bike, so I have no idea of speed/cadence/HR. I'm not pushing anything this time out, just getting familiar, etc. There's a nice long/shallow descent just 5 or 6 miles in...wow, this thing gathers speed like crazy. My app will tag this descent with 29+ mph...on my V2/k, I'm lucky to hit 23mph there. The street has a bunch of 'traffic tables' so no need to grunt up much faster...they're a b*tch to hit much faster than that (esp. with no suspension).

Speaking of the lack of suspension, I need to fab a lumbar support. Rough spots in the road were not fun for my lower back. Easy to make one, I'll do it this week. Hopefully after the Portland event Robert will ship my Ventisit. That will help too.

Otherwise, it was an uneventful ride to the coffee shop, about 15mi. I noticed that my new pedals (Speedplay SYZR) are tough to unclip...and I got close to doing another A.J. at an intersection so I modified my 'planned/prepared stop' procedure to unclip early. Worked great. Starting off is no issue as long as I'm in a reasonably correct gear. I'm generally ambidextrous...but right leg is more comfortable to start on. Left needs some training...and the SYZR pedals need adjustment to the float and clip/unclip tension. No tools, no adjustments. :(

The V20 got lots of attention at the coffee shop. Even the roadies were stopping to stare at it. I wrapped the bars in red 'Lizard Skin' to match the rims...looks sweet.

Time to leave the coffee-shop. I'm in the correct gear but left leg = A.J. #2. Half a pedal and *thud*, down I go again. Much laughter from bystanders. More of my ego splattered on the tarmac...but again, no skin/blood. Pick self up, dust self off, climb aboard, smile and wave...off to the races again. Sheesh. :oops:

Another 8 miles and I'm coming out of the neighborhood and back onto the 5-lane I started on. This is usually a fast run to the house, slightly downhill and at 10:30am, reasonably dense with church traffic. I'm a bit worried as I have no mirrors...very hard to get out onto this road as all suburban streets meet at 90 degrees and they all have a little angle up to the road. I remember that there's a nearby gas station with a good view, wide/level access to the 5-lane and a restroom!

I swing into the parking lot and forget to unclip until the last second...one shoe hangs = A.J. #3. Now I'm really getting tired of falling over...and this time I scrape my elbow on the rough concrete parking lot. :mad:

Well, as bad as I want to, I don't feel safe getting out into traffic. I can't check six without a mirror, I'm still a little wobbly and I'm just a little pissed. So, I take the sidewalk...which is a disaster. This road has 'special dispensation' from the City Council to allow bikes on the sidewalk (otherwise strictly verboten). Problem is, it is a concrete slab walkway and quite narrow. V20 and I don't do 'narrow' very well yet. :eek: I finally get it going and white-knuckle it for a mile or so. I hit a huge lump in the sidewalk which pops one foot outta the clips and I make an unplanned tour of somebody's front yard before I can get her back under control and stopped...and then I fall over again 'cause that left shoe won't unclip = A.J. #4...thankfully in the soft grass this time.

After I get my BP back down a bit, I successfully crank her up and make it to a parking lot...and off that $%&# sidewalk. My hands hurt from the 'death grip' I needed to get down it. There's an intersecting 4-lane with traffic lights here...good visibility so I can see traffic in all directions, jump out there in an open spot and time the lights to let me cruise the merge onto the 5-lane. No problem at all and I buzz along in traffic all the way home without further issue.

I take a shower, apply Tegaderm to my elbow and get some lunch. Apart from all the A.J.s, I'm stoked about the ride. The V20 is amazing and I see the potential for this to become my main ride for a long, long time. I'll sort out the clip in/out issues this week and probably make some shorter evening test rides on the MUT.

Notes:
  • I like the SRAM brifters. The Front D needs a new cable-housing as I kinked it the other night. It is stiff but worked fine today.
  • I found that I'm very comfy riding with my hands on the hoods. I can shift the RD with my pinky. Sweet!
  • Headrest may need a bit of adjustment, my head position is slightly too far forward and I noticed just a slight constriction in my breathing at times.
  • Power! The few short climbs on this route were so much easier on the V than the V2/k. I don't think I used the lowest gear at all.
  • I had 100psi (gauge) in the "ThickSlicks" tires...a little on the stiff side. I'll try 95 for the next ride. They were otherwise quite comfy.
  • I had completely forgotten how annoying rough chipseal is on an unsuspended bike with a headrest. I thought I was going blind there for a moment...nope, just the buzz of chipseal keeping my eyeballs rattling.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Notes:
1. Install that rojo headrest clamp your receiving this week for quick on the fly adjustments. One member said he found a sweet spot where he torques the bolt enough so they don't move while riding but the headrest can be adjusted by hand without touching the bolts.
2. Look into using an inner tube as your headrests primary means of cushion, it'll do wonders for the chipseal.
3. Ride more sidewalk, it'll force you to hold your line much faster then just hugging the shoulder of the road.

your experience so far mirrors mine when I first got my V20 last years but our approach to the first few rides is quite different. I'd almost say I was a bit more reserved the first two weeks then you but I had just as many close calls as you had A.Js. I'm amazed I haven't actually tipped over with how many times I've stalled the bike. Keep at it and it'll keep getting better.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
1. Yup, looking forward to it.
2. I'll have to think about that. I rode an Optima Baron for some years (with headrest, no suspension) and simply just got used to the vibration from chipseal. There isn't a lot of the rough stuff on my usual routes. I just haven't had that experience since then (2007?)...forgot about it!
3. Lemme think...NO. ;)

I'll never be accused of error on the side of caution. :rolleyes: When I got my first Cruzbike conversion (2008?), I did one parking-lot ride and then put in 12mi on the next ride. Weirdly, this is the first time I've dropped a Cruzbike...ever! But, first one I've owned to have clip-in pedals...I rode my Baron with SPDs for quite a few years (so familiar but years ago). Also, this is the first one I've ridden that is so laid back (very similar to the Baron). My V2/k is angled like a Silvio.

So...comedy of errors, not unfamiliar territory. Learning to ride the Baron was much bloodier, cost me 4 RD hangers (which had to be ordered from the Netherlands) and took weeks of full-on panic riding (wearing skateboarder's wrist, knee and elbow pads) before I finally got to relax. After that, the Baron was a very cool ride.

The V20 and I are already 80% there. With some adjustments/tweaks and a few more rides, I'll be 100%. I gotta get it together for our local Century in Sept.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Apart from all the A.J.s
Bless your heart! You might have set a record for miles per Arte Johnson. :p I still use pedals on the Silvio that have one platform side and one SPD side, so I don't have to clip in until I make it past stall speed.

With some adjustments/tweaks and a few more rides, I'll be 100%. I gotta get it together for our local Century in Sept.
What part of "Nawth" Alabama do you hail from? If it isn't too much of a drive, you could come over and ride Bikes, Blues & Bayous in Greenwood, Miss., on August 6. It's a ridiculously flat (and hot) ride in the Delta. ReklinedRider is taking his new V20 on the 62-mile route, I'm doing the 46-mile, and my teenager will be on my Q507 for the 20-miler.

ratz

I was wondering if the SPZR's where going to be AJ prone. I assume they have a tension adjustment. I think you now have ample evidence that as loose as possible is the best starter setting on the v20, I have found that true of all spring based pedals. Down shifting and Unclipping for us are reflex on red lights. I prefer to stand over the bike on red lights to: access traffic behind, fix gearing errors, and the running start is just faster when playing car and occupying the lane.

We rode 100 miles of Oregon's chip seal I would say it bothered me very little. Jason's bracket makes it simple to get the headrest set right and it dampens the vibrations. If that fails the new CB head rest add on (once it is not a prototype) should make you very happy. Said prototype was in service on a bike or two at the retreat.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
First 'real' ride: 25mi

1. I do know how to ride. I swear. :confused:
2. Thank God for Tegaderm. :eek:

Ok, up at 0500 this morning, V20 is totally ready, bars wrapped, shifting tuned, water onboard, safety lighting, etc. No tool kit, no mirrors...yet. Actually, I spent about an hour yesterday evening running slow-speed drills in a parking lot near the house; getting the feel of the bike, the shifters, etc. Feels 'sorted' and ready to go.

So, I roll out onto the 5-lane street at the entrance to my subdivision and head South. No cars, no worries. It is smooth and gently undulating...averaging slightly downhill. I'm being very careful to keep an eye on everything and maintain a comfortable pace...except the V has speed on its mind. I find myself in the tall gears very quickly and I like it.

About a mile in, I realize that I've forgotten to turn on my ride tracking apps. Ok, no prob., I'm following the old marathon route and it turns North on a side road that is usually empty of cars. I stop, set my tracking apps, clip in and promptly fall over. I had forgotten to get into a 'starting' gear...tried to push it...nope. That's A.J. #1. At least I had the presence of mind to keep my elbows in and simply pretend to be a sack of concrete. No harm...all I left on the asphalt was a bit of ego. o_O

I picked myself and the bike up, shifted it into the appropriate gear and motored off thru the neighborhoods. Very pleasant riding! Of course, I'm all new with the V so the learning curve is steep. I sweep into any available parking lot along the way and play loop-de-loop...fast if there is room, slow if not. The SRAM shift group is really excellent and the bike handles superbly...as long as you're paying attention.

I have no instrumentation on the bike, so I have no idea of speed/cadence/HR. I'm not pushing anything this time out, just getting familiar, etc. There's a nice long/shallow descent just 5 or 6 miles in...wow, this thing gathers speed like crazy. My app will tag this descent with 29+ mph...on my V2/k, I'm lucky to hit 23mph there. The street has a bunch of 'traffic tables' so no need to grunt up much faster...they're a b*tch to hit much faster than that (esp. with no suspension).

Speaking of the lack of suspension, I need to fab a lumbar support. Rough spots in the road were not fun for my lower back. Easy to make one, I'll do it this week. Hopefully after the Portland event Robert will ship my Ventisit. That will help too.

Otherwise, it was an uneventful ride to the coffee shop, about 15mi. I noticed that my new pedals (Speedplay SYZR) are tough to unclip...and I got close to doing another A.J. at an intersection so I modified my 'planned/prepared stop' procedure to unclip early. Worked great. Starting off is no issue as long as I'm in a reasonably correct gear. I'm generally ambidextrous...but right leg is more comfortable to start on. Left needs some training...and the SYZR pedals need adjustment to the float and clip/unclip tension. No tools, no adjustments. :(

The V20 got lots of attention at the coffee shop. Even the roadies were stopping to stare at it. I wrapped the bars in red 'Lizard Skin' to match the rims...looks sweet.

Time to leave the coffee-shop. I'm in the correct gear but left leg = A.J. #2. Half a pedal and *thud*, down I go again. Much laughter from bystanders. More of my ego splattered on the tarmac...but again, no skin/blood. Pick self up, dust self off, climb aboard, smile and wave...off to the races again. Sheesh. :oops:

Another 8 miles and I'm coming out of the neighborhood and back onto the 5-lane I started on. This is usually a fast run to the house, slightly downhill and at 10:30am, reasonably dense with church traffic. I'm a bit worried as I have no mirrors...very hard to get out onto this road as all suburban streets meet at 90 degrees and they all have a little angle up to the road. I remember that there's a nearby gas station with a good view, wide/level access to the 5-lane and a restroom!

I swing into the parking lot and forget to unclip until the last second...one shoe hangs = A.J. #3. Now I'm really getting tired of falling over...and this time I scrape my elbow on the rough concrete parking lot. :mad:

Well, as bad as I want to, I don't feel safe getting out into traffic. I can't check six without a mirror, I'm still a little wobbly and I'm just a little pissed. So, I take the sidewalk...which is a disaster. This road has 'special dispensation' from the City Council to allow bikes on the sidewalk (otherwise strictly verboten). Problem is, it is a concrete slab walkway and quite narrow. V20 and I don't do 'narrow' very well yet. :eek: I finally get it going and white-knuckle it for a mile or so. I hit a huge lump in the sidewalk which pops one foot outta the clips and I make an unplanned tour of somebody's front yard before I can get her back under control and stopped...and then I fall over again 'cause that left shoe won't unclip = A.J. #4...thankfully in the soft grass this time.

After I get my BP back down a bit, I successfully crank her up and make it to a parking lot...and off that $%&# sidewalk. My hands hurt from the 'death grip' I needed to get down it. There's an intersecting 4-lane with traffic lights here...good visibility so I can see traffic in all directions, jump out there in an open spot and time the lights to let me cruise the merge onto the 5-lane. No problem at all and I buzz along in traffic all the way home without further issue.

I take a shower, apply Tegaderm to my elbow and get some lunch. Apart from all the A.J.s, I'm stoked about the ride. The V20 is amazing and I see the potential for this to become my main ride for a long, long time. I'll sort out the clip in/out issues this week and probably make some shorter evening test rides on the MUT.

Notes:
  • I like the SRAM brifters. The Front D needs a new cable-housing as I kinked it the other night. It is stiff but worked fine today.
  • I found that I'm very comfy riding with my hands on the hoods. I can shift the RD with my pinky. Sweet!
  • Headrest may need a bit of adjustment, my head position is slightly too far forward and I noticed just a slight constriction in my breathing at times.
  • Power! The few short climbs on this route were so much easier on the V than the V2/k. I don't think I used the lowest gear at all.
  • I had 100psi (gauge) in the "ThickSlicks" tires...a little on the stiff side. I'll try 95 for the next ride. They were otherwise quite comfy.
  • I had completely forgotten how annoying rough chipseal is on an unsuspended bike with a headrest. I thought I was going blind there for a moment...nope, just the buzz of chipseal keeping my eyeballs rattling.
I had a few weeks of creeping out on the V at midnight to adapt the low Centre of gravity.

The good thing is it's not too far to the ground on a V and it's a side bailout instead of over the handlebars. I have had a number of close shaves ... I still go out earlier in the day instead of later as the traffic is not so bad. Still getting use to gusty wind and deep rims. That scares me more than anything else.

If you carry on decking try and get some elbow pads.

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I had a few weeks of creeping out on the high steeply at midnight to adapt the low Centre of gravity.

The good thing is it's not too far to the ground on a V and it's a side bailout instead of over the handlebars. I have had a number of close shaves ... I still go out earlier in the day instead of later as the traffic is not so bad. Still getting use to gusty wind and deep rims. That scares me more than anything else.

If you carry on decking try and get some elbow pads.
I think that Larry has some good hip thigh protectors that he used all the time???