Uh oh...V20 back in stock!

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
LOL. I'm sore this morning...but not from falling over. My thigh muscles (top of thigh) are sore from pulling up on the pedals (make rounds not squares!). I haven't done that in years...and I love the acceleration you get when you're making power circles instead of mashing.

The SYZR pedals do have a tension adjustment: 2mm hex that I could have stuck in my pocket but didn't. I think they're going to be fine, I was stepping right into them after just a few miles. Old skills come back slowly. Like Ratz said, I need to take the tension down to minimum. I also need to remove quite a bit of float, part of my problem was that it took too much 'twist' to get them to break loose. I'm much more familiar with stock SPDs. Like I said, some adjustments and I'll be fine.

I live in Huntsville, AL. About 5hr drive from Greenwood, MS. Not bad...but not in the brutal August heat! Gonna be bad enough Sept. 3 for our local one. I probably will do the metric. Start small, work my way up, etc. http://www.springcity.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=515233&module_id=155603

There's another great (and very flat) century in Clarksville, TN that I want to ride...but not sure if I can do both. http://www.clarksvillecentury.com/ I would love to see a Vendetta smoke their ''elite peloton" Still, 3:43 is damn fast for a century...26.7mph average. I did that one in 2008 on the Baron...very slowly.

As is usually the case, I fell predominantly on my left side...so that elbow is wearing the Tegaderm badge of stupidity. Somewhere out in the workshop I have the old skateboarder's elbow pads I used to train on the Baron. The bike is fairly low, so hip padding isn't an issue (I have lots of natural padding). I'm confident that with adjustments I'll cease the stop and drop routine.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
OK, adjustment evening. SYZR springs are now quite loose, float has been reduced. ROJO headrest mount installed (headrest moved back almost an inch). I extended the boom about 1/2" and slid the top tube back towards me about the same amount. Last Sunday, the top of my thighs were just barely ticking the handlebars and Bro' Don (who was riding his Honda Blackbird named "Habu" alongside of me) said I didn't look like I was getting sufficient extension in my legs. All is well and prepped for next ride. "Adjustment toolkit" has been assembled...should go in my pocket, no prob.: 2-4-5mm hex keys & tiny Torx (for SYZR springs).

I tend to be minimalistic. I rarely pack more than: a cheezy multi-tool from Park (or Topeak), a tiny triangular spoke wrench, nesting tire levers, a spare tube, a CO2 inflator and a spare cartridge for same...and a few stick-on patches...all fits in my zippered bottle-cage pack. When I do a Century, I'll find a spot for a folding tire (the open frame under the seat looks like a great place for stuff like that). On the weekends, I simply make sure I gots water and the bike-rack is on the Subaru. Since Miz Diane don't ride...calling in SAG is always an option. BTDT. :cool:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
You could grab some cardboard and duct tape and fab up a storage zone in that frame area under the seat. I think I made a thread about it but can't recall what the title was.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
7. Front skewer is just barely long enough. I think I'm getting three threads on the nut. It will work...but I'd rather have more thread engagement. I didn't measure the width of the new Hope hub but It is within just a millimeter or so of dropping into the forks (I have to just barely spread them).

Did you ever get the proper length skewer for your slightly wider disc brake hubs?

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
You could grab some cardboard and duct tape and fab up a storage zone in that frame area under the seat. I think I made a thread about it but can't recall what the title was.
Go to page 1 of this thread, pix of box I cobbled together initially...but just as an experiment. I think I'll stick with my minimalistic approach.

I did not get the correct skewer...yet. LBS happily ordered DT Swiss skewers and got them in quickly (overnight). Unfortunately, although we thought we had the right part numbers, they turned out to be lever skewers and not the ratchet ones I wanted. Last I heard, they were still looking to find the ratchet type.

Of course, I could buy the ratchet-type online from several sources. I like to support my LBS as much as possible and the original skewers that came with the bike work OK...they're just not optimal (IMNSHO). ;)

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I think that Larry has some good hip thigh protectors that he used all the time???
Get some soccer shorts with hips pads - they are cheaper and lighter.
Mirrors - I bought these hand mirror on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TCGD96/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They work great and do not take up any handlebar space (which is good since I don't have any to spare!)
Many use these too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FY05PG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

great ride and report - and keep up the great work - It will get better!

p.s. You know you've really fallen and left some skin (and ego) when you start needing the 12"x12" tegaderm (or duoderm) patches, or multiples there-of. I keep a big supply with me now. Also, ask you doctor for a prescription of "silvaderm". This is the cream that you put on under the patch that will help your skin heal and not get infected. You skin heals about 3 times faster with this, and no scabs!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Go to page 1 of this thread, pix of box I cobbled together initially...but just as an experiment. I think I'll stick with my minimalistic approach.

I did not get the correct skewer...yet. LBS happily ordered DT Swiss skewers and got them in quickly (overnight). Unfortunately, although we thought we had the right part numbers, they turned out to be lever skewers and not the ratchet ones I wanted. Last I heard, they were still looking to find the ratchet type.

Of course, I could buy the ratchet-type online from several sources. I like to support my LBS as much as possible and the original skewers that came with the bike work OK...they're just not optimal (IMNSHO). ;)

Don't order the DT Swiss 135mm MTB skewers, they are going to be too short for your disc brake setup. You need to order the DT Swiss RWS 145mm Tandem Skewer. I have disc brakes and finally got the 145mm length and it's finally the correct length with a safe amount of thread engagement. I tried with my LBS for two weeks but after all that time they said they couldn't find it via any of their suppliers and told me to just order it online. They would have had to special order it from a at Swiss direct and they don't have an account with DT.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Jason! I'll go ahead and order the 145. I have a Wahoo RFLKT bike computer (and parts) in my cart on Amazon already. Almost pulled the trigger last night but knew I needed some other goodies.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
p.s. You know you've really fallen and left some skin (and ego) when you start needing the 12"x12" tegaderm (or duoderm) patches, or multiples there-of. I keep a big supply with me now. Also, ask you doctor for a prescription of "silvaderm". This is the cream that you put on under the patch that will help your skin heal and not get infected. You skin heals about 3 times faster with this, and no scabs!
LOL. I have had the large Tegaderm sizes sitting in the home-ER supply box for years. I rolled my Catrike at the end of a Century back in 2003 or 4 (at 30+mph) and ended up leaving a strip of skin the length of my forearm on the asphalt. It took two patches to do the job...but after a week, you couldn't tell there had been a problem. I'll ask about the silvaderm.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Ahhh. I took the V20 out onto the MUT yesterday afternoon/evening for a nice ride down to the river (the Tennessee River, that is) and back. Very conservative ride this time (mah arm is still healing up) but enlightening. Short ride (45min) but a good one.

V20 Riverside.jpg

• No AJs. Not even close. Adjusting the SYZR pedals for an easier release did the trick.
  • Small adjustments: 1/2" out for pedals, 1/2" towards me for slider...much nicer to ride, no touch on thighs, more extension on legs.
  • Small (1/2") movement of headrest aft (nicer with Rojoclamp) got my head in not quite so intimate contact with headrest. Very nice.
  • Mirrors help a lot. Hard to see in above pic but left one is on stalk, right one is slammed. I can't decide which config I like best!

V20 Riverside1.jpg
However, the 'slammed' mirror never moved while the 'stalk' version was constantly being knocked askew. Hmmmm.

Thickslicks are proving to be comfy. I think 95psi is a good number.
Pardon the cable routing. It will be corrected when the smiling box shows up with new Jagwire cable kit.
I'm seeing the charm of bullhorn bars. 99.44% of this ride had my hands up on the hoods. Only when I wanted to play with Mr. Grunt did I drop down to the drops. God knows how fast I'm going in the flats...sure feels fast!

I did a cool-down in local Publix parking lot. Slow and medium speed circles and 8's. Starts with both legs (left is getting better) and emergency stops.

I did say 'conservative'...I chose to walk the bike across the foot bridges and around the 90-degree MUT corners. Simply too narrow for right now...and both of the worst corners have no bailout option (miss the turn, ride right out into traffic). They simply require more training and more confidence, etc. If I could do them on the Baron (which has a turning radius like a Mack Truck), the V20 will be a piece of cake.

No Sunday ride tomorrow. Mother in law fell and broke a couple ribs. We are in 'caregiver' mode for the next 10 days. I'll have to go back to playing the banjo...:eek:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
My guess is that you will like slammed better. We use the right hand mirror for the long view behind us and the left hand one for the left shoulder blind spot seems odd at first but quickly become second nature.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Finally got into the real world today and used my slammed cycle start mirror, slammed is the only way to go. The milder lens couture is so much nicer then the one available on the Cruzbike page. I actually ordered 3 when I did so I'll be using two on the Vendetta and the third goes to dads Ducati because hes to cheap to buy a $200 mirror. I know Robert mentioned they were glass and not plastic but just the lens part feels too lite for glass, can anyone confirm glass or plastic? Glad you liked the rojoclamp, sorry it doesn't do more. Some parts you get to enjoy all through the ride like handle bars, brakes or gearing, other parts you install and forget.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The TriRig Omega X brake up front like Ratz uses looks good as do the Rolphs, I wonder how the 14 spoke wheel up front will handle. Robert Holler recommends a higher spoke count.

That looks like a 20 spoke (some hidden by the fuzzy photo), but that gives me pause too; that's a lot of torque on a straight laced wheel even if the rider is at the very low end of the Clydesdale classification. The lowest I've run was 20 rear; twenty 24 front cross laced by 2.

Tigerpaw

That is the back up wheelset. The ones on the Rifle are the beefier 58rsc Rolf wheels. Plus, they have the power meter in them as well.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
LOL. I noticed this morning that I have bruises on my belly from leveraging off the boom as I extricate myself from the cockpit. :( I haven't been able to do the Vexit maneuver yet. Even though there is now clearance between myself and the boom (about 1mm. Hey, I can see daylight! :rolleyes:), when I brace for the maneuver, I'm wearing the bike...it doesn't allow me to slide aft, it simply stops with me.
I'll get there, I'm sure. A curved slider is on its way, which will help a lot. Of course, as I loose weight, I'll gain more daylight. When I can get my weight off the seat and still see daylight between belly and boom, I'll be there! :)