Uh oh...V20 back in stock!

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Another idea to open up the cockpit would be to use a medium chainstay instead of the large (of course this would lower the BB).
I've certainly been considering that. As I loose weight, I'm also loosing X-seam. Let's just say that I have always been blessed (or cursed) with an aft CG. :rolleyes:

BJ686

I tried out a Delta stem riser on my new V2o and it seemed to work well from a technical standpoint, although it ended up raising the handlebars way too high (the boom was not at "level" so any movement up at the headset clamp exponentially raised the handlebars---if that makes sense). Consequently, generally speaking, I think it may work best to combine a stem riser with the curved slider (in normal position #1) to improve cockpit room.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Don't order the DT Swiss 135mm MTB skewers, they are going to be too short for your disc brake setup. You need to order the DT Swiss RWS 145mm Tandem Skewer. I have disc brakes and finally got the 145mm length and it's finally the correct length with a safe amount of thread engagement. I tried with my LBS for two weeks but after all that time they said they couldn't find it via any of their suppliers and told me to just order it online. They would have had to special order it from a at Swiss direct and they don't have an account with DT.
Winner winner, Chicken Dinner!!

145mm skewer came in, fit perfectly. Got matching 100mm for the front. Very nice.

Thanks Jason!!

BJ686

Looks good. Frankly, I had thought that was going to look funny once you had it installed, but it looks good and should definitely provide some extra cockpit room.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I still suspect that, as JeremyS recommended, I will eventually have to go to a 'standard' chain-stay. I doubt I'll ever flip the curve over.

Probably in a month, I'll think about removing headset shims, etc. Once the headset is 'slammed', that top tube is going to be nearly level. Right now it is like looking down the barrel of a rifle...a set of big WWI ring-sights might be in order. :)

aircraft-ww1-se5a-gun.jpg

bubbabent

Nice looking V Trapdoor 2, like the red and disc brakes. We need to get together sometime so I can try out all of your bikes!;)

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Well, its taken way too long but I was finally able to go for a ride today and test out the new curved slider arrangement and ventisit seat...and how well it rides in the bike rack, as I took it out onto the local Army base (Redstone Arsenal).

After some stumbling around, I finally got to my chosen parking lot and started unpacking. Typically, I forget something...today I forgot the funnel I needed to top off my camelback. I had plenty of bottled water...no good way to get it into the camelback (and it is a true PITA to dismount and fill thru the mouth). So, I felt of the bag, determined I had enough for the morning ride and off I went on the "north loop".

The curved slider gives me the perfect fit on the bike. Stopping and sitting up is a piece of cake now...well, not the first time...I had not tightened the handle-bar clamp screws fully. When I stopped to turn on my blinkies (another thing I forgot when I started), I tried to get up out of the seat and the bars moved. They were not sloppy-loose, but not tight enough. I had intentionally left them that way so I could rotate them into the most comfy position during a test ride that never happened. And...I forgot about it. :confused:

So, I played a bit with the bar position while I put in about 15 miles, ending up back at the car and the 4mm hex wrench. Tightened the bar bolts, downed some bottled water (to conserve my camelback) and took off again on the south loop.

I must say, riding on the Arsenal is a delight. Almost zero traffic on weekends and miles and miles of miles and miles. I saw 5 or 6 DF riders in various spots, mostly going the other way. On the South loop, I was passed by two very fit looking roadies...one said to the other, "Didja see? That thing is front-wheel drive!" I did a mile or two sucked in behind them but they were running too fast for me to hang on (18mph) for long. Next year they'll be wondering what just flew by them!

When I got to the furthest extent south (down by the Tennessee River), I heard my reading glasses hit the road again. Stopped, turned around and retrieved them. I gotta stop hanging them off my shirt collar! :mad: When I stopped, I pulled out my phone to look at my data...and promptly killed the Wahoo app, losing all my data. I dunno what I was thinking. I restarted everything and headed back to the car...the only data set I was able to save was for that last 10 miles. :mad:

So, riding both the north and south loops typically runs around 28mi total. I did several additional loops of various buildings' parking lots (probably another 3-5 miles)...I'm going to claim a 1/2 metric (50km) and be happy. No issues (other than I ran out of water with 5mi to go), no problems with the bike. Everything worked really well and I think I'm going for "stable state".

There are a couple of small hills on this route and the V20 did quite well. I was huffin' and puffin' at the top but my HR never maxed out. I saw 28mph on one descent, very stable at those speeds and I was comfy enough to pedal along at 26mph rather than coasting. Where it is not stable is at 7mph...but I didn't wobble around too much. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, the Ventisit seat. Forgot about that. I never even thought about it during the ride. Kinda like the Rotor Q-rings...can't tell any difference, no frame of reference on this bike, etc. No issues...I guess that is a thumbs up!

bubbabent

Wished I could have been there to ride with you, used to go there on the weekends, but now usually ride at lunch time. Sounds like you are off to a good start with the new bike.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Wished I could have been there to ride with you, used to go there on the weekends, but now usually ride at lunch time. Sounds like you are off to a good start with the new bike.
I'm too shy of lunch traffic to ride, so I walk the Metrology loop just east of 5400...I've been clocking about 3.5 miles during my hour...and getting rained on regularly.:(
Miz Diane is off to AZ for a week Monday...so if the weather looks decent, I'm going to drag the V to work at least a couple of days and try to ride in the evening after work.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Well, here's Smokey. Still got my training pedals on, but won't be long.....
Beauty! Amazing how these bikes look fast just sitting there. I had several comments from passers-by at the coffee shop this weekend. "Izzat yer bike? Looks fast!"
I replied, "Getting faster every time I ride it!"
Another 30mi done on Sunday. Wahoo RFLKT worked fine on the 18mi 'out' leg but when I got home, I'd forgotten to hit the 'start' button for the 'back' leg. :mad: I'm gonna have to figure out how to get it to turn itself on. Evidently, my feeble old brain isn't capable of remembering all the yoga moves required to make it all work.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I'm gonna have to figure out how to get it to turn itself on. Evidently, my feeble old brain isn't capable of remembering all the yoga moves required to make it all work.
Doesn't support that once the BT connection is down; it stays down because of large battery problems they ran into during the beta testing.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Doesn't support that once the BT connection is down; it stays down because of large battery problems they ran into during the beta testing.
Yah. I hate having to reprogram myself. Hitting the 'start' button is such a chore! :rolleyes: Of course, same old gripes...takes forever to connect (and at least one reboot of the RFLKT), drops the Cadence connection regularly (but reconnects on its own fairly quickly). I really like the read-ability of the RFLKT but on days like yesterday where I've attempted to leave the house 4 times (forgot this or that, make a loop of the block, go back inside, retrieve item, etc., etc.,) when I finally get ready to go, waiting on the computer to connect is very annoying.
Santa sez a Garmin 820 is on her list. I can hardly wait!

Tigerpaw

Well, here's Smokey. Still got my training pedals on, but won't be long.....
Took the training pedals off and rode clipped in today. Call me surprised, but clipped in equals more stable. Shocked! Only got 5 miles as my handle bar wrap on the left side started coming undone, Meh.